Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
As far as I know, the only crime he did was trying to get favors/bribes for Obama's previous seat... I think the sentence was particularly harsh and I wouldn't be oppose to commuting a non-violent crime for a first offender...

It was not a harsh sentence. Dude had his hands in all kinds of pies and this is just what he got charged with lol. Sooooo many others should be in prison with him.

Quote:
found guilty of 17 of the 20 remaining charges, not guilty on one, and no verdict was rendered by the jury on two counts.[130] He was found guilty on all charges pertaining to the Senate seat, as well as extortion relating to state funds being directed towards a children's hospital and race track. However, he was acquitted on a charge pertaining to the tollway extortion and avoided a guilty verdict (by split decision) on attempting to extort Rahm Emanuel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Bl...and_conviction

Old 08-08-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Commuting Sentence of Blagojevich

The crimes of Blagojevich were crimes against the people of Illinois.

What honest law abiding person would be moved to commute the sentence of someone like that?
First off, it hasn't happened but if you have a time machine and want to tell us more about what the future will bring please enlighten us.

A better question would be what honest law abiding president would not strongly pursue the FBI leak during his administration that ended the Blago investigation early allowing a host of co-conspirators to escape? Turns out the guy that did end up getting that Senate seat was bidding for it but just not enough at the stage to get fed charges.

Gee, that sure would have been embarrassing to see 2 dozen or so Chicago politicians rounded up by the feds huh?

Old 08-08-2019, 09:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
No, Mike Madigan is the king of pay to play. By. Far. And he's still at it.

My perception also.

Over the years he has served under mostly Republican Governors who had veto power and rarely exercised it.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I used to live in Illinois. Political corruption is a given there, as there have been three (not two) governors in the last 20 years that have been jailed.

Illinois is like a third world nation, in which many judges are also corrupt. Bribing judges is not uncommon in Illinois and a DEA agent told me that trying cases in Illinois is tough, as many judges are corrupt.

Corruption in politics is an Illinois tradition. It is not surprising that Obama came from Illinois, as he fit the mold quite well.
Actually, there have been 4 governors who served prison time since the 60’s. My point was that 2 were serving time at the same time. Party does not matter when it comes to corruption, in this state. Blago was defended by a former 4 - term Republican Governor.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 08-08-2019 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I used to live in Illinois. Political corruption is a given there, as there have been three (not two) governors in the last 20 years that have been jailed.

Illinois is like a third world nation, in which many judges are also corrupt. Bribing judges is not uncommon in Illinois and a DEA agent told me that trying cases in Illinois is tough, as many judges are corrupt.

Corruption in politics is an Illinois tradition. It is not surprising that Obama came from Illinois, as he fit the mold quite well.
I live in Illinois, as did my father and grandfather.

Corruption in Illinois goes back to before Lincoln, and Lincoln himself was corrupt too. It's a long non-partisan tradition.

But much of what you (or I) would know of political corruption in Illinois is actually due to the efforts of honest citizens to combat it. We know about the judges because of the highly successful Operation Greylord, we know about the mayor of Cicero because of her successful prosecution and about ward bosses in bigger cities because of their successful prosecutions, we know about Blagojevich because of his highly successful prosecution.

Obama? Not corrupt at all. He did not have any jobs in Illinois that would have made that possible anyway. There are good honest citizens in Illinois, many whom are in public office.

There is no reason for Trump to commute the sentence of a governor of Illinois, a Democrat no less, unless it is payback time for dirty deeds done dirt cheap. There is honor among thieves, after all.

Out of respect for the long suffering citizens and taxpayers, Blagojevich should serve out his sentence, he is fully culpable.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
No kidding. But why would Trump even consider a commutation with that slimeball?
Why would Trump have chosen a recently impeached, convicted and removed governor under federal investigation to be a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice?

Ratings? Something else?

Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
No kidding. But why would Trump even consider a commutation with that slimeball?

Swamp critters take care of each other!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I live in Illinois, as did my father and grandfather.

Corruption in Illinois goes back to before Lincoln, and Lincoln himself was corrupt too. It's a long non-partisan tradition.

But much of what you (or I) would know of political corruption in Illinois is actually due to the efforts of honest citizens to combat it. We know about the judges because of the highly successful Operation Greylord, we know about the mayor of Cicero because of her successful prosecution and about ward bosses in bigger cities because of their successful prosecutions, we know about Blagojevich because of his highly successful prosecution.

Obama? Not corrupt at all. He did not have any jobs in Illinois that would have made that possible anyway. There are good honest citizens in Illinois, many whom are in public office.

There is no reason for Trump to commute the sentence of a governor of Illinois, a Democrat no less, unless it is payback time for dirty deeds done dirt cheap. There is honor among thieves, after all.

Out of respect for the long suffering citizens and taxpayers, Blagojevich should serve out his sentence, he is fully culpable.
Maybe, just maybe, the sentence will discourage the next politician.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Maybe, just maybe, the sentence will discourage the next politician.
It will encourage them to be sneakier about it.

Daley and Madigan could offer a masters class on the topic.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:44 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
He should not be pardoned. Would send a very bad message that SOME are not held accountable for their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies