Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is basically how it works. Billions of people like me who, deliberately or not, lead very humble lives enable your destructive, egoistic behavior without the world falling apart, yet.
You are not alone....I live in a 34 foot RV and have a carbon footprint of almost zero and like you I am not poor. I choose the frugal life style.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good question. And what do they use to generate electricity in Norway? Until recently, my power company was generating my electricity with coal, so an electric care equaled a coal-fired car. Now they're using natural gas, which is guess is a little better.
Over 99% of the electricity production in mainland Norway is from hydropower plants.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are not alone....I live in a 34 foot RV and have a carbon footprint of almost zero and like you I am not poor. I choose the frugal life style.
an RV that probably gets 1 mile to the gallon, uses LP/NG for heating/ac/hotwater, and needs electric and SEWER.....in a COLD Environment.... and you are going to say a footprint of zero..... sorry but that is pure BS

Old 09-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Over 99% of the electricity production in mainland Norway is from hydropower plants.
Here in BC about 96% is hydro, but not every area is fortunate enough to have waterways available to produce hydopower.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
an RV that probably gets 1 mile to the gallon, uses LP/NG for heating/ac/hotwater, and needs electric and SEWER.....in a COLD Environment.... and you are going to say a footprint of zero..... sorry but that is pure BS
I said that I live in it and since it doesn't move I have no idea what you are talking about...Heating, cooling, refrigeration, water heater, etc is all electric, 96% which is derived from hydro power....No I didn't say my carbon foot print was zero...I said near zero.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Natural gas is a fossil fuel.
I am aware.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
I said that I live in it and since it doesn't move I have no idea what you are talking about...Heating, cooling, refrigeration, water heater, etc is all electric, 96% which is derived from hydro power....No I didn't say my carbon foot print was zero...I said near zero.
Just out of curiosity what kind of broadband do you get?

Old 09-29-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Just out of curiosity what kind of broadband do you get?
I get my phone, HDTV and internet bundled from a cable company. Internet is a bit slow at times as there are about 700 sites here.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
I get my phone, HDTV and internet bundled from a cable company. Internet is a bit slow at times as there are about 700 sites here.
Thanks. I still need robust internet. Otherwise I would opt for a simpler existence.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Ok please explain how the democrats are not guilty of what you accuse the GOP of?

I have been to Norway and absolutely love it. Do you know what you don't see a lot of there? You see very few minorities. That helps with statistics. They dont have a 11+ million illegals. Hell we have more illegals than there are Norwegians.

Norway has a massive supply of resources for the size of their population, but unlike many of their neighbors they have refused to open their homes to the flood of refugees as Sweden has.

What is broken and you have illustrated it well is people who refuse to hold their own party accountable and yet can lay blame at the other. The USA is not a product of the GOP as you would blame. It is a product of the 2 headed beast.

Norway's politicians put Norway and her people first. That means no screw the people over NAFTAs, that means no most favored nation status to China, that means no open borders to immigrants and no free pass for illegals.

My best friend where I live is Norwegian. He blasts our health care system as a joke. He blasts our education system as well. He is proud of Norway's position on Refugees and immigration and that Norway refused to join the EU.

Your post prompted me to think about an article I read a year or two ago about a change in parts of the Greater Oslo Region where ethnic Norwegians are moving out, and non ethnic Norwegians are moving in (more per square kilometer). I couldn't find the previous article I read, but another article appeared in my search that discusses the same subject:

https://www.city-journal.org/html/is...slo-15686.html

If you feel like showing it to him, I'd be curious to know what your friend's position is/how he feels about what is discussed in the article. There seem to be differing opinions. Some seem to see no ultimate issues, and others seem to feel that the changes are a harbinger of what has happened in parts of Sweden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies