Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:08 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,409,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Remove all taxpayer money from education and see how much he earns spouting that low IQ rhetoric in a free market.
I would give him maybe a week to two weeks at most before he is out of a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:10 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,899,436 times
And folks everyday it seems we have one of these enlightened guardians of education spout off. And then some wonder why others have such low regard for college professors.

He is worried that grading is damaging? Welcome the real world. Fortune favors the well prepared. I have never had a job where performance wasn't measured, ie graded.

I for one was never afraid to be evaluated. (graded).

How does one get to be be a professor? It seems that the curve might be a bit generous in some institutions.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:11 PM

78,640 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There are schools in cities like NYC with no grades. You stake standardized tests, etc...and move up without grades. These kids take SAT's, ACT's to get into college and they do and do well.

I don't know-- we all grew up with grades and look how great we all turned out.....
Don't those schools skim the cream off the top and take already top %tile students that are generally encouraged and motivated to learn?

That's like doing a study on a town where all the cars are limited in speed to 10mph and determining that seatbelts don't save lives after all.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,526,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Hampshire College has operated without grades I believe since it was founded (1970). I had a friend from high school that went there. I always thought it a little strange. I would say it has worked for Hampshire but the college is in financial trouble right now and had been looking at merging with another college until alumns talked them down from it. https://www.hampshire.edu/discover-h...mic-philosophy
Wasn't Hampshire College that crazy liberal college that had a course "The Problem with Whiteness"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies