Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

The following is what I think. What do YOU think?

EXTREME LIBERAL

- Welfare benefits for able-bodied and mentally-capable adults who refuse to work (includes UBI)
- Any kind of benefits to people here illegally, except for children under age 16 and emergency medical care
- Free college education for everyone who wants one (regardless of G.P.A. or SAT scores)

EXTREME CONSERVATIVE

- No gun controls whatsoever
- No abortions regardless of the reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 05:40 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
SJW mindsets can be on the extreme end of either side. Policies that demonize and target straight White conservative men that ID as men might be on the extreme Left. White supremacy is often an extreme Right thing.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
My take - you think you are a moderate but you come up with these "one size fits all" groupings which you consider as far on one end or the other......

Society and Economics are a complicated subject and the minute we start breaking down things into "Right and Left" or otherwise we are already off-course.

For example - should able bodied 70 year olds be forced to work? Don't say they "earned" medicare because they didn't- what they paid in is less than 1/2 of what they get.......

Education......perhaps the worst thing a civil society can do is not to properly tend their orchard. But you say that the person born with a silver spoon deserves a "free" education (from tax cuts that our grand kids will have to pay), yet the person whose parents ate lead paint off the walls of their apartments....their kids shouldn't have some chance to educate themselves out of that vicious circle???

No abortions means MORE people we need to educate and FORCE to work.....or, we can stop giving them food and some discounts on housing and have them all become criminals.

It's so much more complicated than any of this. No mention of the Debt and Deficit...from tax cuts (for wealthy and corporations).....yet at the root of many of the things you mention is MONEY......

Although it IS complicated, it's quite easy to look around the world...and even some states and regions and see what works and what does not.

Is engineering "conservative"? Is productivity or efficiency "liberal"? Is compassion or empathy or community one or the other?

Until we Americans start actually thinking out of that box it's hopeless.

When I think of the caricatures of conservative and liberal it boils down to

ME ME ME and NOW NOW NOW
against
ALL OF US - PLAN PLAN PLAN FOR THE FUTURE

And, in a sense, that has been much of our history. Slavery, indentured servitude, the Gilded Age, etc. have all been about thinking that the only way Economics and Society can work is WIN...LOSE, with the vast majority losing.

This liberal thinks that is not the case. No Utopia is possible, but to strive for better for the society in general is the ultimate expression of "Liberal".

Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Extreme Left

-Green New Deal
-Open Borders (decriminalization)
-Killing oil/gas/healthcare industries
-Paying criminals recurring checks for not committing crimes

Extreme Right

-No abortion under any circumstances
-No gun control whatsoever
-No protections from corporations (financial or physical)
-Privatize social services (fire department, police, education, etc)

Old 08-08-2019, 05:50 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My take - you think you are a moderate but you come up with these "one size fits all" groupings which you consider as far on one end or the other......
I was talking about extreme liberal and extreme conservative positions, as my title said -- not groups or individuals.

(And, btw, I have taken several quizzes, and I always score "Moderate" or whatever the equivalent is -- and I very, very rarely use the word "always", as I know that there are almost always exceptions to everything.)

I do think it is true, though, that to most or many liberals, Moderates are conservative, and to most or many conservatives, Moderates are liberal.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:54 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Extreme Left

-Green New Deal
-Open Borders (decriminalization)
-Killing oil/gas/healthcare industries
-Paying criminals recurring checks for not committing crimes

Extreme Right

-No abortion under any circumstances
-No gun control whatsoever
-No protections from corporations (financial or physical)
-Privatize social services (fire department, police, education, etc)
Generally agree but not on the corporations one. I think that the right supports unregulated corporations is a leftist talking point. Just look at Google and Facebook. I think they are going to take those one with their silencing of conservative speech.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
SJW mindsets can be on the extreme end of either side. Policies that demonize and target straight White conservative men that ID as men might be on the extreme Left. White supremacy is often an extreme Right thing.
Don't agree with this either. I think this is what what the left wants you to think but then again they are calling Trump a white supremacist so I think this is another left strategy to harm GOPers.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Extreme Left
The government should give extremely generous welfare benefits to people with children if they want it, even if they don't want to work ...

Extreme Right
... on the condition that it's to a couple married or at least living together, not single parents. And if the couple moves apart, the benefits end.

Probably I could think of similar ones like that.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Hmmm ...

Extreme Right
All drugs, including marijuana, should be illegal ...

Extreme Left
... including any and all tobacco products, or anything with nicotine. Smoking ANYTHING should be illegal.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
"What do YOU think?"

left circles right
and right circles left
eventually, they meet.
bad news for me and us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies