Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:43 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,120,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Wow. Do you think that a person can be a racist and not have their racist beliefs influence their behavior as a police officer? What if one of his racist beliefs is that blacks are inherently more violent? Thus, in a situation involving black suspects.....he may feel his life is in MORE danger than if he were in the same situation with a white person....and those heightened fears may lead to the use of more deadly force.

The ideal that you can separate such beliefs from how you treat people is astounding. You can't be a racist without acting racist....unless you try to overcompensate by acting the opposite.
Of course you can. How many people have hated their job but still went to work and put in an honest effort. How many people have hated their boss but did nothing about it.

We're intelligent human beings, we can have opinions and compartmentalize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,718,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Of course you can. How many people have hated their job but still went to work and put in an honest effort. How many people have hated their boss but did nothing about it.

We're intelligent human beings, we can have opinions and compartmentalize them.

So you are saying that people can just turn on and off their racism? I think what you are saying is true when nothing serious is on the line. However, as a police officer you are dealing with life and death situations.....where YOUR LIFE is possibly on the line. You are not going to let political correctness and trying not to seem "racist" cost you your life. If in your heart you feel blacks are violent and murderous....when you are in a heated confrontation with a black man you are going to react based upon YOUR subconscious beliefs.....because you feel your life is on the line. You might feel your life is on the line because....you are a racist and you carry a guilt or fear that blacks want PAY BACK for people like you and what you have done historically.

Do you think a racist person can serve as a juror in a case involving a black person and not have their racist belief influence their decisions in most cases?

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-09-2019 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,119,061 times
Quote:
Watch the left try to spin this as if the officer is possibly "Racist". The officer also killed a black guy in 2009. Likely that had nothing to do with race either. You can count on the left to see racism everywhere though. What....people can't collect KKK items anymore or something?

Ask the officer if he is a racist before jumping to conclusions. If he says he is not. That should settle it.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/muskegon...t-controversy/
You guys pushed to fire an FBI agent bc he didn't like Trump. Are you seriously going to sit here and argue that being in the KKK doesn't meet the same threshold of "bias?"

Old 08-09-2019, 06:54 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,470,290 times
Michigan police officer found with KKK items in home.

Maybe he is a collector?

Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 AM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Michigan police officer found with KKK items in home.

Maybe he is a collector?
Old Nazi and Japanese items from WWII go for big bucks to collectors. Always have. If someone is butt hurt about that, who cares.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 AM

15,537 posts, read 10,518,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I don't know anyone who collects KKK stuff. Civil war stuff, ww2 stuff? Yes. KKK stuff no. Not saying this is impossible but I think we're stretching.

Ultimately this comes down to the 1st amendment. His stuff was found at home, unrelated to his duties as a police officer. We should not be the country where your political opinions interfere with your ability to make a living. He's maybe a racist/white supremacist but he has that right provided he doesn't bring this to his job.

I'm guessing that shooting of a black guy was investigated and closed.
Ever watch that show American Pickers? People collect weird stuff.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:10 AM

It seems like a lot of people REALLY want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Granted, I don't know whether he is a racist or not.

Is this more an example of the left trying to make everything into racism......or the right trying to make nothing seem like racism. If you can have KKK stuff in your home, confederate flags.....why would a person be inclined not to think that the person is racist? Granted....he may not be, but taking things at face value.....it looks that way. Why are so many people looking for other explanations?

Is the term racism over applied or over denied?

Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Watch the left try to spin this as if the officer is possibly "Racist". The officer also killed a black guy in 2009. Likely that had nothing to do with race either. You can count on the left to see racism everywhere though. What....people can't collect KKK items anymore or something?

Ask the officer if he is a racist before jumping to conclusions. If he says he is not. That should settle it.

Why were they searching his home?

Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,093,392 times
Quote:

If this was you trying to get out in front of the situation and trying to spin it as best you can, it didn't work.

I don't know the man, nor do I know exactly what was found....but I doubt your average American who is NOT racist has a bunch of "KKK items" in their home.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
If this was you trying to get out in front of the situation and trying to spin it as best you can, it didn't work.

I don't know the man, nor do I know exactly what was found....but I doubt your average American who is NOT racist has a bunch of "KKK items" in their home.

Obviously you don't know my history on this forum. This is why understanding history is important. You can't make proper interpretations of the present.....without knowing the past. That is the same reason you cannot properly interpret the condition of blacks in America today....without first knowing and integrating the history of America and its treatment of blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies