Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If you had bothered to read your own link, you would know that a school in a largely minority neighborhood was deprived of funding that was provided to other mostly white schools in the same district. The students were not so much "under-performing" as were the administrators of the school district who deliberately tried to save money by throwing low income students under the bus.

For example, even the hardest working kids are going to be at a disadvantage if they attend a school with no library or no computers. If you gave the Pittsburg Pirates bats and balls that came from the discard pile at the local thrift shop while the opposing team had top of the line sporting equipment, the Pirates would "under perform" too.

Why are you okay with minority students receiving a substandard education? The dog whistle here is so loud that it hurts my ears.
just imagine how much good the Democrat AG's of CA could have done if they had paid attention to a place like this school district over the last 3 years, instead of immediately joining lawsuits against everything Trump did.

Imagine the good they could have done. The money they've spent, that could have spent instead rectifying this problem right under their noses.

by the way, read this again ...

Quote:
The district’s only regular public school is Bayside, a K-8 campus with 119 students, eight of them white. The second school, also K-8, is Willow Creek Academy, a publicly funded charter school where about 40% of students are white, 25% are Latino and 10% are black.
For those of us not in CA, the county and the school are in SanFran's "backyard".

Why are we told exactly how many students are at one school, but not the other?

Why are we told the racial makeup of school #2, but not the full racial makeup of school #1?

This is just media sleight of hand.

The real issue is - why wasn't this more important to people in Sausalito, Marin County, or California?

Marin County - 77% for Clinton

by the way, for anyone interested.... CA overwhelmingly passed (70+%) several resolutions in 2016:

Quote:
Harris talks about the need for criminal justice reform, but she didn’t support Brown’s sentencing rollback, Proposition 57, which voters approved. She took no stand. Same thing in 2014 with Proposition 47, which reduced several felonies to misdemeanors. It also passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Whites may not celebrate success in their group, but they don't shun it either.

Whites have a huge advantage over other groups, including Asians. To understand this, think for a moment. About the various groups.

It is a fact that blacks and hispanics as a group don't study STEM. They either go into sports or humanity. Asians tend to go into STEM. Whites, however, are told they could be anything they want. So out of all the groups, whites are the most diversified in term of professional fields they go into.

So, may be this is how whites succeed.
I don't know where you are making this conclusion? Only whites are told by who they can be anything they want? From my perspective all non-whites are told they can and should be anything they want, and American society is only telling whites they are supposedly privileged, racist and supremacist.

I mean I can accept that whites are assumed it easy for them to become anything they want which it isn't, and they certainly are discouraged rather than encouraged.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The education system in many states is heavily segregated mainly because funding is based on real estate taxes. States compensate by providing more funding but it doesn't come close to making up the gap and funding isn't the only issue. Students from homes with two parent college educated parents that are wealthy will always out perform single parent with a high school diploma. Send any child to one of these poor districts and the outcome is very predictable in spite of a few success stories. The narrative that they need to pull themselves up regardless of the odds is tedious, send your child to a school district like Camden, NJ is lets see the outcome.

I don't see the demographic on this story but I would guess there are many young single parents in many of these districts yet we continue to fight against clinics that offer family planning and education.
both schools are in the exact same district. maybe you didn't read past the headline.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
And this is the problem. While whites are told they could be anything they want, blacks are constantly told they have to go into sports or rap to succeed. Very narrow set of fields.
Even if that were true, blacks are still told or forced to go to public school and encouraged or required to go to college to get into sports or whatever feild, where they academically underperform. And it's not like every black is trying to become a rapper or get into sports.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Your last sentence.

You completely missed my point there. It is not bragging to us. It is pride and joy for the whole community. We encourage success. We celebrate it. We talk about it among ourselves. We show our children what success looks like.

I've dated black men before. Their culture is completely different. While individuals will brag about success, the community as a whole actually shun those who are successful. They call it "acting white".

The fact that you don't really understand what I meant about it and referred to it as bragging is the perfect demonstration of you trying to superimposed western values on our eastern culture.
Blacks don't look down on success. You really don't understand Black culture if you think that's the case. I lived in the South for over 30 years and grew up around Blacks. I've worked in and spent a significant amount of time in Atlanta where there are a large number of wealthy Blacks. I've worked for multiple Black persons. Blacks don't think that being successful is "acting white." They think that speaking like and acting like Whites is "acting white." Black people value material wealth and make a big show of it. The problem is that many Black people don't really understand the behaviors needed to build and maintain wealth so success is fleeting for them.

No, Blacks don't shun successful Blacks at all. They tend to just look at certain Blacks as sell outs if they perceive that they got their wealth through kissing up to Whites.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Blacks don't look down on success. You really don't understand Black culture if you think that's the case. I lived in the South for over 30 years and grew up around Blacks. I've worked in and spent a significant amount of time in Atlanta where there are a large number of wealthy Blacks. I've worked for multiple Black persons. Blacks don't think that being successful is "acting white." They think that speaking like and acting like Whites is "acting white." Black people value material wealth and make a big show of it. The problem is that many Black people don't really understand the behaviors needed to build and maintain wealth so success is fleeting for them.

No, Blacks don't shun successful Blacks at all. They tend to just look at certain Blacks as sell outs if they perceive that they got their wealth through kissing up to Whites.
I have dated black men and have worked with successful blacks. That's what I have observed. A few explained it to me as such as well. In fact, it was a rags to riches black man who first told me about the concept of crabs in bucket. He freely admitted that while growing up it was understood that impregnating as many young girls as they could was some sort of badge of honor. He also told me many other things. In his 20s he walked away from all of that and never looked back. His family pretty much shunned him for it.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:27 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't know where you are making this conclusion? Only whites are told by who they can be anything they want? From my perspective all non-whites are told they can and should be anything they want, and American society is only telling whites they are supposedly privileged, racist and supremacist.

I mean I can accept that whites are assumed it easy for them to become anything they want which it isn't, and they certainly are discouraged rather than encouraged.
Then how come blacks tend to avoid STEM?

Old 08-12-2019, 10:18 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Because they generally aren't interested in STEM fields.

It's rare to meet Blacks who have "nerdy" interests like science and engineering. I work in a STEM field and there are a handful of Blacks in my field but they are atypical in their behavior and interests. And even though they work in STEM, the Blacks that I work with have less of an interest in STEM than the Whites and Asians that I work with.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I gave you the hereditarian answer the last time. The group median IQ is 85 and most of them just don't have it in them. I would guess the median IQ for successful STEM graduates is around 115 or more, maybe a little lower for those who get affirmative action to boost them along.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Throwing money at schools with low performance does not enhance performance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies