Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,243,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossify View Post
Not true, not true, and not true. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Having traveled and lived all over in both impoverished and upscale areas as an adult, and having attended an all black, run down inner city elementary school as a kid, I can 200% assure you (and others reading this) that the culture and family issues are 1,000% at issue here! Now, I know of kids whose total value of educational costs is hardly anything to taxpayers and these kids are homeschooled by a parent (my daughter has had several homeschooled friends over the years), and their outcomes are overall better than even kids from wealthy school districts. I have noticed a genuine love of learning, sincere empathy, and a richer understanding of history and context in these kids, and an absence of useless "puff" that's injected in the minds of children that are in government-sanctioned education/reeducation factories. I aspire to homeschool my own, and hopefully soon. Cost, again, is nearly zero to the taxpayer (there are administrative costs in funding the buracracy that oversees education compliance).

LIBERAL EXCUSES ARE ENABLING FAILURE and EMPOWERING low achievement attitudes - PLEASE STOP!!!
Are you saying that it's okay to underfund schools in poor neighborhoods because their tax base is so low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Schools in bad neighborhoods won't improve unless parents get more involved. It's cultural.

A relative who is a retired teacher said there was a big difference between Asian parents, who demanded results from the teachers and their own kids, and black and Latino parents who were mostly indifferent. The school provided translators and flexible hours for meetings if needed.
They’ve done this in some districts in the past. They had fundamental schools in St. Petersburg for a while in low income neighborhoods, primarily in South St. Pete, which is predominantly African American. These schools did very well. In order to go to these schools, the parents had to agree to a certain level of involvement. Then the school district decided to end them and the schools went back to being awful. There are some people who do not care, but many do. The issue is that once you get the few who do not care into the population, it can be hard for the teachers (who are usually the newer, less experienced teachers or in programs like TFA in the current environment) to discipline or actually teach the kids.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,122,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Well, it doesn't really matter if you're ready to accept it, the evidence is overwhelming that genetics plays a major role in life outcomes. There really isn't much strong evidence that culture is the primary reason, though it has some marginal effects.

Billions have been spent trying to find a way to close the achievement gap. There are whole industries and careers dedicated to it but after decades, no one has found any method that is replicable. Every few years, we'll hear about a supposed success story but it always turns out to be a fraud. School districts have resorted to cheating to try to close the gaps. Nothing works.

Blacks also brag about success so your example doesn't really hold up.
Your last sentence.

You completely missed my point there. It is not bragging to us. It is pride and joy for the whole community. We encourage success. We celebrate it. We talk about it among ourselves. We show our children what success looks like.

I've dated black men before. Their culture is completely different. While individuals will brag about success, the community as a whole actually shun those who are successful. They call it "acting white".

The fact that you don't really understand what I meant about it and referred to it as bragging is the perfect demonstration of you trying to superimposed western values on our eastern culture.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Your last sentence.

You completely missed my point there. It is not bragging to us. It is pride and joy for the whole community. We encourage success. We celebrate it. We talk about it among ourselves. We show our children what success looks like.

I've dated black men before. Their culture is completely different. While individuals will brag about success, the community as a whole actually shun those who are successful. They call it "acting white".

The fact that you don't really understand what I meant about it and referred to it as bragging is the perfect demonstration of you trying to superimposed western values on our eastern culture.
Did you read my reply? While whites don't as rule shun success, they don't usually see one's success as the pride and joy for the whole community much. That would seem collectivist and maybe like bragging. Since whites perform without this support, I don't think you'll find the answer there. And even if celebrating success was part of the answer, you now still have the question to answer why one group does and another doesn't.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Did you read my reply? While whites don't as rule shun success, they don't usually see one's success as the pride and joy for the whole community much. That would seem collectivist and maybe like bragging. Since whites perform without this support, I don't think you'll find the answer there. And even if celebrating success was part of the answer, you now still have the question to answer why one group does and another doesn't.
I was referring to blacks. They shun success. Perhaps this is why they don't value success and don't encourage it in their community?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times
Quote:
I was referring to blacks. They shun success. Perhaps this is why they don't value success and don't encourage it in their community?
I got that. And you said Asian celebrate success among their group. But whites do not particularly. So I'm saying your answer is not really there.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
Perhaps this is another cultural thing that's made Asian Americans so successful in American society? We don't hush success. We encourage it. We celebrate it. We "brag" about it.
Unabashed materialism, wealth seeking and flaunting seems to be a Chinese thing, and perhaps some other Asian cultures, but definitely not Japanese. Here almost everyone thinks of themselves as middle class.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
But every rap video seems to be about trying to prove that the performer is successful, at least in terms of bling and *******.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I got that. And you said Asian celebrate success among their group. But whites do not particularly. So I'm saying your answer is not really there.
Whites may not celebrate success in their group, but they don't shun it either.

Whites have a huge advantage over other groups, including Asians. To understand this, think for a moment. About the various groups.

It is a fact that blacks and hispanics as a group don't study STEM. They either go into sports or humanity. Asians tend to go into STEM. Whites, however, are told they could be anything they want. So out of all the groups, whites are the most diversified in term of professional fields they go into.

So, may be this is how whites succeed.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
But every rap video seems to be about trying to prove that the performer is successful, at least in terms of bling and *******.
And this is the problem. While whites are told they could be anything they want, blacks are constantly told they have to go into sports or rap to succeed. Very narrow set of fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies