Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 PM

62,647 posts, read 28,833,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, a cite backing up your claim that most Spanish speaking folks in this country are here illegally is what I'm asking for. Your opinion of what is or isn't "well known" is not a compelling argument.

Further, how on Earth could you discern that someone who happens to be speaking Spanish is doing so because it's the only language they know?

You seem to make a LOT of assumptions.
I never said that most Spanish speaking people in this country are here illegally. Reading comprehension problem? Go back and read what I actually said. I used the word "increased" usage of Spanish everywhere.

Actually, I have seen many Hispanics whom I'd assume were citizens or legal immigrants switch to English with ease when they had to. Too bad so many don't want to though.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,298,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I was replying to your post. I'm not the only one off topic on a side discussion. Besides I'm explaining why people might become less tolerant of hearing foreign languages spoken even from a servicemember, i.e., too many illegals talking too loudly and poorly in Spanish perhaps.
Naw, people like that are just intolerant, narrow minded, and busybodies, period.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That has nothing to do with the thread topic. Again, the person in question is in the military.

In your small view, you forget, we are in Hawaii. Here you will hear Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc. and all from citizens.

You would just find new reasons to be intolerant.

The world is changing and many are old and scared and do not like change. I understand. The fact that the demographic may change where you are not in the majority is terrifying to you. You don't understand other cultures, food, activities, and don't want to.

But understand, many have no problem with that, and more so in the youths of today. The country will change, but you will probably have passed away by then, so it won't impact you too much.

And it is NOT just changing because of illegral immigrants. What you call the "browning down of American" is occurring from inter racial marriages becoming super common place.
Once again, why would any sane person embrace their country changing demographically, culturally and linguistically due to an illegal invasion? Are you for real? Yes, it IS changing because of illegal immigration! Where did I even mention the "browning of America"? That's just a statement constantly made by you lefty liberals so you can pull the race card. I couldn't care less the color of one's skin. It's getting tiresome.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,555,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Once again, why would any sane person embrace their country changing demographically, culturally and linguistically due to an illegal invasion? Are you for real? Yes, it IS changing because of illegal immigration! Where did I even mention the "browning of America"? That's just a statement constantly made by you lefty liberals so you can pull the race card. I couldn't care less the color of one's skin. It's getting tiresome.

I can go search for you saying that, you said it more than once, though you seemed to stop when called out a few times.

If I go and find where you said it, will you start a thread confessing to it? You gotta make it worth my time.

Either you don't think I will take the time to do it, or, perhaps you can't remember things well?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2019, 08:42 PM

72,845 posts, read 62,260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Naw, people like that are just intolerant, narrow minded, and busybodies, period.
And to add to that, just plain bigoted. Getting irate because someone is speaking a different language to a family member reeks of stupid.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can go search for you saying that, you said it more than once, though you seemed to stop when called out a few times.

If I go and find where you said it, will you start a thread confessing to it? You gotta make it worth my time.

Either you don't think I will take the time to do it, or, perhaps you can't remember things well?
Go ahead and search then. I have never used the term of the "browning of America" myself unless it was by was mocking someone who used that term first that I was responding to. Go ahead and search how many times I have said that skin color doesn't mean a damned thing to me also. You'll find it in many of my posts.

I have always said that retaining our identifying culture was what was important to me. However, any changes to America whether it be about skin color, culture, etc. should be through legal immigration not illegal immigration. Learn to know the difference!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,288,985 times
Quote:
I never said that most Spanish speaking people in this country are here illegally. Reading comprehension problem? Go back and read what I actually said. I used the word "increased" usage of Spanish everywhere.

Actually, I have seen many Hispanics whom I'd assume were citizens or legal immigrants switch to English with ease when they had to. Too bad so many don't want to though.

No, what you said was:

Quote:
I never said that I did. But face it, the reason we are hearing so much Spanish being spoken is directly due to the number of illegal aliens in our country. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English.

Please provide a cite for that claim.

The bolded certainly reads like you're asserting the majority of Spanish speakers in the US today are illegal, but I'm willing to chalk that up to poor communication on your part.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Then

Why

Do

We

Have

Millions

Of illegals yelling in poorly spoken Spanish?
So any level of security less than 100% control of every single human being that crosses an international boundary is "open borders" to you? That explains it. In that case, every nation on the planet has open borders.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, what you said was:

Please provide a cite for that claim.

The bolded certainly reads like you're asserting the majority of Spanish speakers in the US today are illegal, but I'm willing to chalk that up to poor communication on your part.
The only proof I have that Spanish is being spoken everywhere unlike in the past are my ears. Are my ears lying to me? I grew up in So. Calif. and lived here in the 60's and 70's so I'm in the thick of it here. I have seen the change first hand!

You are twisting my words again. I never said that the majority of Spanish speakers are here illegally. What I said is the reason we are hearing more Spanish these days is directly due to illegal immigration. Reading comprehension problem? Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. Now are you going to continue to spin my remarks? If so, don't reply to me anymore.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
The only proof I have that Spanish is being spoken everywhere unlike in the past are my ears. Are my ears lying to me? I grew up in So. Calif. and lived here in the 60's and 70's so I'm in the thick of it here. I have seen the change first hand!

Anecdotal evidence is not compelling. If that's all you've got, we'll agree to disagree.

Quote:
You are twisting my words again. I never said that the majority of Spanish speakers are here illegally. What I said is the reason we are hearing more Spanish these days is directly due to illegal immigration. Reading comprehension problem? Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. Now are you going to continue to spin my remarks? If so, don't reply to me anymore.
I'm not twisting your words, at all. If illegals are NOT the majority of Spanish speaking people that you hear in our country today, then how is this: "the reason we are hearing so much Spanish being spoken is directly due to the number of illegal aliens in our country" true? If they are a minority of Spanish speakers, they can't also be "the reason" "directly" that we hear "so much" Spanish being spoken.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies