Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's be honest here at how many Americans would willfully want to work at a chicken processing plant?
There is a reason why illegals are hired for those jobs.
Those local folks living near processing plants.
Those neighborhoods around there aren's exactly the gated kind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 04:15 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's be honest here at how many Americans would willfully want to work at a chicken processing plant?
There is a reason why illegals are hired for those jobs.
So you think it's OK to punish illegals even more than they are already with all the concentration camps? And what about the companies like Tyson that are actually sending chicken over to China to be processed and then sent back here to be sold to Americans? You think this is OK because a company wants to be cheap and not pay a fare wage?

Old 08-11-2019, 04:19 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBot View Post
This is why employers need to be held responsible for hiring illegal immigrants. We should invest in putting these illegal employers in jail.
I agree with this. Just like they want universal background checks to be able to buy a gun,. I think it's time to demand e-verify for employment. One quick swipe of the ID or drivers license in the computer/credit card checking machine and it brings up all your stats at once so everyone knows you can legally work and take out a credit card! But businesses, from both sides of the isle, refuse to pass this kind of legislation because they make too much money thanks to bribery.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The labor shortage is in skilled blue collar work...electricians, plumbers, car mechanics.
There is a school in my town that offers training for the above and more. I wonder if they think there is a shortage of students.
https://www.meridiantech.edu/programs/

Old 08-11-2019, 04:24 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I was in the midwest this summer. Fast food places are closing at 9 pm where they used to be open till the wee hours. Reason -- they can't find enough people to staff them. The shortage is real. The population is aging and retiring and outside of immigration there is an inadequate source of new labor entrants. Trump is working on it though. If he continues, his tariffs will soon bring a recession and plenty of people looking for any job.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Illegals at processing plants go back years. And here's what they did before we adopted this open border policy.
It's not about "Americans don't want to do this work".

2001 folks.
https://www.chron.com/business/artic...rs-2071829.php
A federal grand jury in Chattanooga, in a 36-count indictment returned earlier this month and unsealed Wednesday, said the largest U.S. chicken processor tried to import illegal immigrants to cut costs at 15 plants, including one in the East Texas town of Center. The immigrants also were less likely to complain about poor working conditions, the indictment said.
During a meeting in June 1998 with undercover agents, two Tyson managers asked for the delivery of 2,000 illegal Guatemalan workers, the indictment said. Undercover agents delivered Guatemalan aliens, smuggled across the Mexican border, in smaller groups over the ensuing months, the indictment said.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
No there is not when there is we will see wages rise

Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM

OP..that is some serious propaganda there in favor of illegal workers.

Here's the Vox article..dated March
https://www.vox.com/2019/3/18/182709...age-workers-us

Now here's the latest Labor Dept Report ..dated August 6
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm

The number of job openings was little changed at 7.3 million on the last business day of June, the U.S.
Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Over the month, hires and separations were little changed at
5.7 million and 5.5 million, respectively. Within separations, the quits rate was unchanged at 2.3
percent, and the layoffs and discharges rate was little changed at 1.1 percent. This release includes
estimates of the number and rate of job openings, hires, and separations for the nonfarm sector by
industry and by four geographic regions.

On the last business day of June, the job openings level was little changed at 7.3 million. The job
openings rate was 4.6 percent. The number of job openings was little changed for total private and for
government.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:00 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The real problem is that there's a shortage of a permanent class of low-skilled workers in the U.S.

Around the turn of the 20th century, immigrants from poorer places in Europe were filling that void. But their children assimilated, and no longer were part of a permanent low-skilled worker class by the 1950s or so. Due to racism and segregation, black people (and Hispanic and Asian people to a certain extent, although there were less of them present) could also fill the void of a permanent underclass, but that fortunately doesn't happen anymore. Poor white people from areas such as Appalachia could also fill that void.

So the only people who can be part of a permanent underclass are those who don't have any other options. That pretty much leaves felons and undocumented immigrants. Low-skilled workers of other sorts can improve their positions from working in a chicken processing plant if they so choose.
Not really. If we truly had a shortage of low-skilled workers we would create or increase visas to bring in more foreign workers legally. IMO, there are far too many businesses that require low skilled workers for low wages. There are fast food restaurants on every corner now among other low skilled, low paying jobs. Let em fold and fade away, I say.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:04 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
I work in Hickory NC, I first saw upward pressure on entry wages in July 2016 when McDonalds and Wendy's went to an $8.35 starting wage. Now there is wage escalation all over, my company, which sells furniture from various retail locations, paying hourly, plus commissions, now guarantees all new hires in writing $25,000 their first year. This is 15% more than I started at in 2016 and more than half my 0 down mortgage for my nice ranch on 5 acres. The 2-300 jobs created locally because of the China tariffs have put the economy into overdrive. Yes, I have had 20% ($60) increases in my most popular dinettes, but that is way more offset but the $80 more a week the new tariff related jobs have impacted the jobless force. Now, Walmart, Target, Costco and such are starting entry around $13/hr to compete with all the $14-15 new apprenticeship furniture jobs caused by the tarriffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies