Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:01 PM

126 posts, read 48,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The entire K-12 curriculum can be absorbed by most people inside of 3-4 years, when you cut out the fluff, the editorials, the pandering to lowest common denominators, behavioral issues that waste time, etc. And none of it is especially hard to teach or help with, considering internet resources like online schools, home school teaching resources, etc.

If you started at age 5-6, by 8-9 you could easily have a kid pass the GED, satisfying Leviathan's dumbass standardization requirements, and then if arbitrary age brackets matter to you, that gives you 9-10 years before state approved "adulthood" to teach that kid anything and everything, letting them hit college light years ahead of the homogenized automatons the state run system is pumping out.

Think about a STEM career if Algebra is knocked out by age 8-9, and the next ten years you spend as much time on STEM subjects as the average parent of an athlete spends on their kid's chosen sport.

Want to know the real difference between an average kid and a gifted one? Reading books that nobody else wants to read. The average kid won't read those books unless a demand is placed on them, and the gifted kid will because they want to. That's it. Because in the end, all of the "smart guy" professions boil down to having read a bunch of books nobody else wants to read, and some guild or certifying org signing off that yeah, you read those books and retained enough of it to pass their test that day.

So send your kid to the state run crippling factory and let them shuffle around at 18 like the other cripples and hope they just figure out how to succeed in spite of your choices and the state's nonsense, or decide earlier to change the course and foster abilities almost everyone has inside and doesn't know about.

There's a reason the US gets crushed in academic measurements relative to an increasing number of countries. All these kids, and we take the entire right half of the bell curve and just cripple them back down to somewhere left of the median. Why? Because self-esteem, or social skills, or something.
And what about Calculus? Or literature intended for older kids? Or chemistry? Physics? World History? So if everything can be learn in 4 years do you suggest kids go to school from 5 to 8 and start college at 9? Or start from 14? Most children are not gifted but average and school teaches other lessons to like responsibility, discipline, confidence, social skills and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 PM

13,735 posts, read 5,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliampr View Post
And what about Calculus? Or literature intended for older kids? Or chemistry? Physics? World History? So if everything can be learn in 4 years do you suggest kids go to school from 5 to 8 and start college at 9? Or start from 14? Most children are not gifted but average and school teaches other lessons to like responsibility, discipline, confidence, social skills and so on.
I already gave the difference between gifted and average - the desire to read books. The average kid needs to have the demand placed on them, the gifted kid doesn't. That's the difference.

And no, I don't suggest kids go to school from 5-8. I said that a kid can be taught be everything they need to pass the GED exam by age 8-9. State run indoctrination centers are not required for this learning, and given the "cannot go faster than the lowest common denominator" curriculum that produces 18 year old Americans who are intellectually equal to 4th grade Chinese kids, our public schools couldn't handle that kind of teaching anyway.

As far as the "other lessons" you list, none require locking kids into day camp prisons for 13 years. All of those things happen incidentally while in school and out of it, and none require a school to occur.

Your entire post argues for the average. To foster it, to maintain it, and to cater to it. And that is the crippling of which I speak, because at least half of all kids are above average and then boxed into these indoctrination factories where they are bludgeoned with mediocrity until their above average potential is pounded out of them and they conform to a standard.

Feel free to make excuses for mediocrity. I'll never accept them, but by all means, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,128,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's none of our business until it is our business.

And it's my business when they propose to get their freak on in front of my kids.

Wake up, sheeple.
She was ****ing in public??

Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,532,293 times
Wow, just another reason not to send your child to a public school, especially in Illinois. It's really sad what they are trying to teach these kids.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM

5,068 posts, read 1,647,226 times
Oh Lord thank heavens I'm not in IL.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I already gave the difference between gifted and average - the desire to read books. The average kid needs to have the demand placed on them, the gifted kid doesn't. That's the difference.

And no, I don't suggest kids go to school from 5-8. I said that a kid can be taught be everything they need to pass the GED exam by age 8-9. State run indoctrination centers are not required for this learning, and given the "cannot go faster than the lowest common denominator" curriculum that produces 18 year old Americans who are intellectually equal to 4th grade Chinese kids, our public schools couldn't handle that kind of teaching anyway.

As far as the "other lessons" you list, none require locking kids into day camp prisons for 13 years. All of those things happen incidentally while in school and out of it, and none require a school to occur.

Your entire post argues for the average. To foster it, to maintain it, and to cater to it. And that is the crippling of which I speak, because at least half of all kids are above average and then boxed into these indoctrination factories where they are bludgeoned with mediocrity until their above average potential is pounded out of them and they conform to a standard.

Feel free to make excuses for mediocrity. I'll never accept them, but by all means, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Sorry you had such a bad school experience. Congratulations on your 20+ PhD’s. You must be just one step from winning the Nobel Prize, again congrats!!!

Old 08-15-2019, 05:28 PM

13,735 posts, read 5,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliampr View Post
Sorry you had such a bad school experience. Congratulations on your 20+ PhD’s. You must be just one step from winning the Nobel Prize, again congrats!!!
Ad hominem appeal to ridicule.

I didn't learn about logical fallacies in school. I learned about them on my own.

Congratulations for helping prove my point.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:43 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,248,375 times
This thread is hilarious.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Ad hominem appeal to ridicule.

I didn't learn about logical fallacies in school. I learned about them on my own.

Congratulations for helping prove my point.

Yes, it shows, I can tell. No problem. Any time here to help.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:02 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,496,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I don’t get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html
As a parent, I would be furious.....

So glad I dont live in Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies