Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

My daughter is tough. She will survive. Assuming the worst.

Been assuming the worst for ten years. And? Nothing.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
In the 1950's the most powerful computer was the Univac housed at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. It was mainly made up of diode tubes that were about three foot high and a foot wide. It could do simple math and play Christmas carols. The smartphone you carry everyday could not even be imagined at that time. Developers did not stick their heads in the sand, thankfully, and moved ahead to give us the technology we have today. If Trump were in charge then we would still be adding with our fingers and toes.

The same principal applies to alternative energy sources. The only real resistance is those with money in fossil fuels and the morons who insist on driving a 500hp diesel, 4 x 4, to go grocery shopping.

Would you trade your smartphone for the original cell phone. I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCwvE6ZB5o

Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My daughter is tough. She will survive. Assuming the worst.

Been assuming the worst for ten years. And? Nothing.
Ten years? You really have no clue re-time lines do you? 2100 is bit farther away than ten years.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How do we know that recent CO2 increases are due to human activities? « RealClimate

It's pretty well documented how much fossil fuels we burn. And the laws of chemistry are irrefutable - burning them makes CO2. There is also irrefutable proof that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
Irrefutable.... Lol... When predictions fails, just make predictions beyond the life of anyone remembering it... Global warming used to make predictions in your lifetime and then when it was wrong over and over, their predictions are now beyond your lifetime...

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
In the 1950's the most powerful computer was the Univac housed at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. It was mainly made up of diode tubes that were about three foot high and a foot wide. It could do simple math and play Christmas carols. The smartphone you carry everyday could not even be imagined at that time. Developers did not stick their heads in the sand, thankfully, and moved ahead to give us the technology we have today. If Trump were in charge then we would still be adding with our fingers and toes.

The same principal applies to alternative energy sources. The only real resistance is those with money in fossil fuels and the morons who insist on driving a 500hp diesel, 4 x 4, to go grocery shopping.

Would you trade your smartphone for the original cell phone. I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCwvE6ZB5o
Yeah, but GIGO Forever; AI included!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What melts ice? Is this enough proof for you?

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

My point!

Lots of things cause the temperate to change.

CO2 doesn't appear to be a significant player.

Where I am seated, here in SE Michigan, glaciers extended straight up more than a mile.

That's a lot of ****ing ice!

It was also less than 18,000 years ago - a blink of an eye in geological time.

So, what caused that ice to melt?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Warming?

When did it start warming, and how can we know for sure that it really is warming?
There are many very good books on your question. I suggest reading one. The issue is long settled in the science community, no point in rehashing old news at this point.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm beginning to believe that most climate change denying posters in this thread are nothing but trolls.

Some might be. I suspect some posters work in the oil and gas industry and they feel their livelihoods are threatened if we all acknowledge climate change is real and we have to take action to address it. So they go online and push the denier agenda, hoping to buy more time and another paycheck before we come to our senses and realize that most oil, gas and coal needs to be left underground where it's meant to be.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My point!

Lots of things cause the temperate to change.

CO2 doesn't appear to be a significant player.

Where I am seated, here in SE Michigan, glaciers extended straight up more than a mile.

That's a lot of ****ing ice!

It was also less than 18,000 years ago - a blink of an eye in geological time.

So, what caused that ice to melt?
The answer is at your finger tips...google...

Ice cores from both Antarctica and Greenland show that the last ice age started to become milder 19.000 years ago, completely in accordance with increased solar radiation from the earth’s favourable orientation in its orbit around the sun.

It takes circa 10.000 years for an ice age to gradually come to an end

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/scienc...rgsmaal_svar1/

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-13-2019 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
That figure is for Fort Yukon, an interior location at 66° north, right at the Arctic circle where the sun never sets in summer. Anchorage is a coastal city at 61° north that does see darkness even on the longest days of the year. These are not equivalent comparisons, but I suppose if you want to play that game then I can refer you to this map that shows the temperature anomalies for July:

Here is the Alaskan climate summary for July: http://akclimate.org/sites/Default/F...ly_summary.pdf

Arctic sea ice extent as of August 4th:

Smoke from wildfires that are currently ongoing:

This is NOT normal. How is this so difficult to understand?
Those are data points, NOT proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies