Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:24 PM

18,139 posts, read 15,553,610 times

Advertisements

I just watched a report on the Dayton shooter on FOX that has me rather perplexed. An acquaintance of the shooter has admitted to buying "accessories" for the shooters weapon and stated that he lied on federal forms to do so.

These accessory parts were supposedly related to the upper receiver "to convert to a rifle from a handgun making said weapon into a "true" AR15." A "conversion kit." Now, I am totally unaware of anything related to an upper that is federally or state regulated requiring any paperwork at all. And as to conversion from a handgun type firearm the only things needed would be a buttstock parts assembly. Buffer tube and spring and actual butt. Also not regulated. The only regulated part (of any firearm) is the lower receiver/frame where the serial number is located.

A bare lower receiver/frame is considered a "firearm." But the upper and everything on it is just parts. So I have no idea what it is they were talking about. But "conversion kit" does sound insidious ...I guess. Without clarification as to just exactly it was this acquaintance purchased in terms of regulated items I'm at somewhat of a loss.

You can purchase an entire working upper with no paperwork at all. But even a totally stripped lower will require a 4473 and a back ground check. But according to the guy who did these purchases no lower or even related parts were involved.

So whatever laws this guy supposedly violated had to be more than things just involved with upper receiver mods. But I reckon newsies aren't the best sort of folks to figure this out and ask the proper questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:27 PM

19,687 posts, read 10,022,304 times
Many in the media have never held a gun. ewww icky scary things..

Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many in the media have never held a gun. ewww icky scary things..

mm, Yea. That has a lot to do with it for sure. I need to see if I can catch another report on another network about this. If FOX stretches it this far CNN or MSNBC is sure to have some really entertaining commentary. Just the conversion kit thing will suddenly become a readily accessible to anyone kit to convert any firearm into a phase plasma, fully automatic, assault ready, reactive armor defeating, cop killing implement of mass destruction.

It's just strange to me that this acquaintance would be admitting to lying on a federal form supposedly for purchasing upper receiver parts. Which there is no federal or any other form for. Unless perhaps he wants his ten minutes of fame seeing his name on the news. I suppose that's possible. Admitting to a supposedly criminal act when there was no criminal act. Gets his name on the national news with no prison time involved. LOL, fame without real infamy.

Of course the Dayton shooter has not really been getting near the coverage the El Paso shooter has since he was left wing. The El Paso shooter was "racially motivated" so his crime was 100X worse and the people a whole lot more dead than in Dayton.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:12 PM

50,127 posts, read 46,734,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I just watched a report on the Dayton shooter on FOX that has me rather perplexed. An acquaintance of the shooter has admitted to buying "accessories" for the shooters weapon and stated that he lied on federal forms to do so.

These accessory parts were supposedly related to the upper receiver "to convert to a rifle from a handgun making said weapon into a "true" AR15." A "conversion kit." Now, I am totally unaware of anything related to an upper that is federally or state regulated requiring any paperwork at all. And as to conversion from a handgun type firearm the only things needed would be a buttstock parts assembly. Buffer tube and spring and actual butt. Also not regulated. The only regulated part (of any firearm) is the lower receiver/frame where the serial number is located.

A bare lower receiver/frame is considered a "firearm." But the upper and everything on it is just parts. So I have no idea what it is they were talking about. But "conversion kit" does sound insidious ...I guess. Without clarification as to just exactly it was this acquaintance purchased in terms of regulated items I'm at somewhat of a loss.

You can purchase an entire working upper with no paperwork at all. But even a totally stripped lower will require a 4473 and a back ground check. But according to the guy who did these purchases no lower or even related parts were involved.

So whatever laws this guy supposedly violated had to be more than things just involved with upper receiver mods. But I reckon newsies aren't the best sort of folks to figure this out and ask the proper questions.
These nimrods are trying to make it appear an SBR is more dangerous than a pistol upper

Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,589,702 times
i just stumbled upon an obscure documentary about firearms of the austro-hungarian empire...while it has been my impression that the Germans invented the "assault weapon" during WW2 as a trade-off between a "machine pistol" and the old traditional rifle and sacrificing performance from both...what was surprising was the many, many pistol variants with added stocks...even bolting together two and four pistols was tried lol....

but the point is it showed the military application of pistols in the first world war..labeling something as "military" assault" is just mere marketing hogwash IMO..im bet some backyard half good machinist could turn just about any semi-auto pistol into some more deadly in an afternoon...i can remember watching other videos about taking the Bolt off a long rifle and having another replacement bolt made firing smaller caliber munitions from a 30 round magazine..(that mod proved to delicate for army field operations lol)

Old 08-12-2019, 07:50 PM

I just caught another report on this an ABC. It seems he lied about an actual firearm he bought for himself about the illegal drug use on the 4473. But all they said about what he bought for the shooter was the drum mag, ammo, and "a component". Oh, and the armor. They didn't specify what "component" it was. FOX said it was for the upper receiver.

Just can't get a complete report that's intelligible. The ammo, armor, drum and if it was indeed an upper receiver part none of those would be regulated so no paperwork would have been required to lie on. But I guess it makes for a more exciting report if it sounds like a regulated part for the rifle was obtained by a straw purchase.

I really hate the news when it comes to shooting reports. Especially when they try to sound like they actually know wth they are talking about when it comes to firearms. They always sound like complete idiots. Some of the REALLY good terminology they come up with! Oh my! Straight outa Star Wars. LMAO

Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,993,905 times
My question would be, why are all of these parts non-regulated? It should certainly require the background check to buy any part that would 'upper' the power and deadliness of the weapon.

You pass the background check to buy a weapon with a certain level of 'oomph.' If you wish to upper that, you should have to go through an additional check.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,788,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
My question would be, why are all of these parts non-regulated? It should certainly require the background check to buy any part that would 'upper' the power and deadliness of the weapon.

You pass the background check to buy a weapon with a certain level of 'oomph.' If you wish to upper that, you should have to go through an additional check.
I like you but wish you wouldn't post in these threads. I feel for you when you do.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

Good grief!! What Redwood said. "Upper" refers to the upper receiver. Not "uppering" the capabilities of the firearm. I truly don't know if you are actually that ignorant or if you are messing with people. Much of what I've seen you post in relation to firearms makes the newsies look like experts in the field.

It's so plumb daffy that it truly makes me wonder if you're not just trolling. But either way it's always good for a laugh. I do actually rather like you travis. In that stray raccoon in the garage sort of fashion that I just can't help. And I have really tried to help you on this subject but there's just something missing there that has it eluding you.

Last edited by NVplumber; 08-12-2019 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 08:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,788,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good grief!! What Redwood said. "Upper" refers to the upper receiver. Not "uppering" the capabilities of the firearm. I truly don't know if you are actually that ignorant or if you are messing with people. Much of what I've seen you post in relation to firearms makes the newsies look like experts in the field.

It's so plumb daffy that it truly makes me wonder if you're not just trolling. But either way it's always good for a laugh.
LOL. No kidding. He makes my day every time. This one has to be one of the best so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies