Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM

27,537 posts, read 15,963,202 times

Advertisements

I’ve had to shop antique stores to get good yard tools since local hardware only has made in china crap that breaks within first couple uses. I want quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,994,414 times
I don't have trash service so I avoid china items.Antique stores have great American products as well as stuff from europe.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,733,005 times
Finding American made stuff is not easy. Anything manufactured with multiple parts is likely partly made in one or even several foreign countries. A good part of our food comes from outside the US. We live in a globalized economy; there is no putting that genie back in the bottle at this point.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,756,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
Buying an American car is a bad deal, especially because the Japanese source more parts from American suppliers, and 95% of "Japanese" cars are made in the America these days.

The only American car I would consider is a Tesla, or maybe a Ford. Chrysler and GM have been pretty awful for decades.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 PM

8,346 posts, read 4,593,690 times
GM is rising, but Fiat-Chrysler...yeah, not so much.

I drive an American-made Honda, but I bought it heavily used, so there’s no trade balance effect

Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,756,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Finding American made stuff is not easy. Anything manufactured with multiple parts is likely partly made in one or even several foreign countries. A good part of our food comes from outside the US. We live in a globalized economy; there is no putting that genie back in the bottle at this point.
That's true, the economy is hyper-globalized. Even if you're buying something made in America, there's a good change that multiple industrial inputs or components came from overseas.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,129,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How many people just don't bother to look at the origin of any item they buy? That includes food, you know.
I look at origin on everything I buy. Don’t go to Walmart so I avoid the Chinese garbage. I don’t buy Mexican garbage either.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,324,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If I have a choice between similar price and quality I chose

1. American
2. Canada / Japan / S Korea / W Europe / Australia / New Zealand (good laws protecting workers and environment)
3. Latin American & Haiti - those jobs help stabilize nations that we have illegal immigration problems with
4. Anywhere else not named China
--
5. Last and least - China. Like the culture but dislike how the play outside the trade rules and get away with it.
That's me as well, pretty much.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 PM

15,705 posts, read 20,223,832 times
If I have options, and there is a US-made option, I usually go with the US made part....provided it's not extremely overpriced.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,581,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I go to some trouble, but it's difficult sometimes. Shoes are pretty hard outside of higher end leather boots (there is New Balance and a few European brands of athletic shoes). Clothes are practically impossible. Hand tools are easy, cordless are impossible outside of Snap-on. I doubt I'll ever buy a late-model car again, so no worries. Anything that uses electricity, pretty darned hard to avoid China.

You gotta wonder what sort of public policy sent the US down the road where we can't make our own shoes or washing machines anymore. It's a national security issue at this point.
We make plenty of shoes...cars...and appliances.....vast amounts.

However, some people might have concern that we sold the US FACTORIES and companies to the Chinese, Saudis and anyone else with a few bucks. The Russians are even getting in on the actions.

If any of you "nationalists" really believed in the Scriptures you Preach, you'd do away with our brand of Capitalism that allows the Chinese to own the biggest US Pork Producer, the Saudis to own GE Plastics plants and so on and so on.

"(Chinese) Haier manufactures GE, Hotpoint, Cafe, Profile, and Monogram branded household appliances."

Your "American" purchase just may be financing fundie Islam.

I do like New Balance Shoes because of their wide models....some are made here, some not.
And my Toyota was made here...in KY, I think.

But I cannot vouch that the studs in my house are not from Canada or Europe (lots of framing lumber from E Europe!).....

How many of you check your construction materials? How many spend $300 for the American model of a power saw when the $50 model is plenty good for your needs?

Very few...I'd wager.

I'm gonna check my nice New Balance pair bought off Amazon....nope, even the 90 dollar model is Vietnam.

The proof is in the pudding. The needle has not - and will not - move when it comes to what US Consumers buy. Companies like Tesla are doing some big $$ here, but most big factories opening up here are foreign owned or partnerships (Volvo, etc. etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies