Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times

Advertisements

When I do buy anything, I always try and find the item made in the USA. After the whole toxic sheet rock, poisoned dog food and flimsy bolts used in some of our bridge construction, I'm pretty leery of buying things made outside the USA. The thing is, if you want something made well, you're going to pay extra for it and I think most people want to save money so when they buy, they don't care where it comes from as long it fits their need at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
If was to make my own company, I would want all of the materials for all of our products to be American-maid and all of our products be American-made. Specifically, I would be wanting to form a supercar company that does that! I don't know of any instance in automobile history where everything about the car is American-made. This includes the engine.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I don't buy dishware if its made in China. Likewise nothing foodwise. Communist countries are notorious for poor environmental and human safety practices. No sense in getting poisoned.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,424,992 times
Interestingly made in China is one of the more reliable brands today.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Almost everything I own is Samsung Korean from my phones, to TV's, to appliances. Very good quality and lasts a long time. No problems. I will pay more money for better quality. My car is a 14 year old Korean Elantra. Very few repairs to it. American brands did not last as long.

Shoes? New Balance is overpriced. All their advertisement is based on being Made in America. I buy Skechers. Cheaper but good quality. Only recently did I find out that they are made in California! lol They don't advertise they are Made in America like New Balance.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.

I ALWAYS try to buy US made stuff. However, sometimes there are not products made in the USA. If you hunt, you can usually find them.

Chinese stuff is made with crap Chinese steel, which is more like iron. Even if US products cost more initially, they usually don't break like Chinese crap.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
Take a closer look at your clothing, shoes, bed linens, housewares, etc.

May not be China but most definitely not made in the US.

Assembled in the US is not the same as made in the US

Toyota Camry is the most made in the US car when you get down to the parts.

https://www.cars.com/articles/cars-c...n-cars-404549/

Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Interestingly made in China is one of the more reliable brands today.

That is completely false. Many of the products I buy on my farm need to be reliable and won't break easily. I have tried Chinese products in the past and they, as a rule, do not last and break easily.

Products made in the US and with US steel in them are far, far better. Look at the Bay Bridge, made with Chinese steel- what a disaster.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How many people just don't bother to look at the origin of any item they buy? That includes food, you know.
I have done so, for years. I am wearing Vietnam, right now.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I go to some trouble, but it's difficult sometimes. Shoes are pretty hard outside of higher end leather boots (there is New Balance and a few European brands of athletic shoes). Clothes are practically impossible. Hand tools are easy, cordless are impossible outside of Snap-on. I doubt I'll ever buy a late-model car again, so no worries. Anything that uses electricity, pretty darned hard to avoid China.

You gotta wonder what sort of public policy sent the US down the road where we can't make our own shoes or washing machines anymore. It's a national security issue at this point.
Whirlpool owns most US branded washers made mostly from parts from other countries.

The projected useful life of a typical US made washer is less than 14 years. Likely parts will be discontinued well before this. If you don’t buy new often enough, the manufacturer/ assembler goes out of business. Maytag learned this lesson decades ago. It’s all Whirlpool, under the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies