Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 AM

15,828 posts, read 6,536,770 times

Advertisements

Suppressing political dissent is the Chinese government's top priority, so a bloody crackdown is likely inevitable given the persistence of the protesters. Many Hong Kong people have already fled the country as a result of the Tiananmen Square massacre; I wonder how many more are packing their bags right now. The wealthy probably already have contingency plans.

Hopefully China will pay a price for crushing Hong Kong independence, but I suspect they will barely bat an eye.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:49 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If there is an armed insurrection, that is the price of "war." Otherwise, the PRC isn't going to kill thousands of protesters for blocking an airport. The PRC may have behaved savagely in the past, but such is not going to happen here.
You're telling me that they wouldn't go in there, bust heads and then depict the protesters as terrorist operatives of say....the USA trying to foment unrest for leverage in the trade war?

Hell, they won't even admit to Tianamen and black out coverage of it's anniversaries...lmfao.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM

15,828 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So not enough people in Hong Kong are licensed to possess guns and why you would be opposed to require getting a license to own a gun in the USA?
Private gun ownership wouldn't stop an invasion of the U.S. by China. Nukes would though. The Chinese would scarcely be concerned about a few million casualties out of a country of 1.4 billion; we're still a resource-rich country and it would be worth the economic cost of a decades-long war. But they would be nervous about getting their government eradicated.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Ever notice people fighting oppression all over the world waive US flags and not Russian, Chinese, Canadian, or French flags? Just think of that.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You're telling me that they wouldn't go in there, bust heads and then depict the protesters as terrorist operatives of say....the USA trying to foment unrest for leverage in the trade war?

Hell, they won't even admit to Tianamen and black out coverage of it's anniversaries...lmfao.
That's the thing. There is no blacking out of coverage in Hong Kong. The world is watching. While part of China, Hong Kong still is way more "open" than any place in China would be.

As for using violence to disperse the protesters and remove them from the airport, yes they would do that (but that's different from a mass massacre of the unarmed), but so would every country in the world to include the United States.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Suppressing political dissent is the Chinese government's top priority, so a bloody crackdown is likely inevitable given the persistence of the protesters. Many Hong Kong people have already fled the country as a result of the Tiananmen Square massacre; I wonder how many more are packing their bags right now. The wealthy probably already have contingency plans.

Hopefully China will pay a price for crushing Hong Kong independence, but I suspect they will barely bat an eye.
The troops are a show of force hoping the protestors will back down. I doubt China wants to risk the international scrutiny of a military crackdown, especially since there are so many foreign citizens living in Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies