Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:29 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,176,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's played down because it isn't a big factor in society except for those who use it as a crutch for handouts and special favors.
Lots of regular folks are better off not being forced to work around or hang out with their political adversaries. That seems to cause more separation and violence. As we have seen, anger and resentment are at epidemic levels. Some people make it a point to make the work environment heavily favoring one side or the other. That split is usually heavily one-sided as well - ten or more against two. Eventually, the two will become isolated under the pressure, soon to quit or be terminated. Resentment begins to build.

The split created a one-sided workplace - so politically divided that it's next to impossible to work together. It also created the handout culture. It's a reality that just won't ever go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 07:54 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,314,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Oh, yes.
I have had youngsters come to the door "looking for work".
In more remote areas, they will pull up in the driveway and honk the horn. If someone responds they drive away.
If these were children, there would have been an adult driving them around. When children come to the door selling this or that there is always an adult hovering nearby in a vehicle.

She over-reacted. But she looks like the type who would.

Interesting. Sounds more than a little "urban legend"-ish to me.....

Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 AM

58,728 posts, read 27,070,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We need to have this conversation, as a country.

This woman feared these young men. (Yes, they are legally children and deserve the legal protections and privileges that children enjoy, but visually, they are men, and as football players likely to appear to be very large, fit young men).

When she saw them approach, she feared them, and reacted out of that fear.
" but visually, they are men, and as football players likely to appear to be very large, fit young men)."

Schools QUIT using "girls and boys" and now use MEN and WOMEN sports team and locker rooms, etc.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:31 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,897,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Crazy woman pulls gun, gets arrested, went to jail.

Newspaper takes the opportunity to turn it into a Whitey IS Racist event.

Remember, We are all racist now.
White America has never stopped being racist.

The idea that because we desegregated beaches and bathrooms and drinking fountains and restaurants and apartments 50 years ago that white America suddenly lost their racist underpinnings is just silly. It is part of the culture and will be for generations to come.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,802,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
White America has never stopped being racist.

The idea that because we desegregated beaches and bathrooms and drinking fountains and restaurants and apartments 50 years ago that white America suddenly lost their racist underpinnings is just silly. It is part of the culture and will be for generations to come.
In a post about racism you display overt racism?

Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM

16,436 posts, read 10,471,250 times
Quote:

This woman feared these young men. (Yes, they are legally children and deserve the legal protections and privileges that children enjoy, but visually, they are men, and as football players likely to appear to be very large, fit young men).

And I would have too. I've read enough about well-meaning (or naive) white people opening their doors to groups of young black men, only to be assaulted (or worse) that I simply would not open my door to a group of young black men. It stinks for the decent ones who are just trying to do some good (like fundraising for their school), but that's the way it goes.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:03 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wouldn't put a gun on anyone but trust me when I say I wouldn't even open the door if I saw 4 teen boys of any color out there.
But if it were 4 teen girls you would open the door, right? Sexist !

Old 08-19-2019, 04:01 PM

72,872 posts, read 62,353,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I usually pull my wallet on them.
I would like for you to elaborate on that.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And I would have too. I've read enough about well-meaning (or naive) white people opening their doors to groups of young black men, only to be assaulted (or worse) that I simply would not open my door to a group of young black men. It stinks for the decent ones who are just trying to do some good (like fundraising for their school), but that's the way it goes.
Well, I open my door when I see young Black men. I've never had anything happen to me from that instance. And I've been a Black male who had to do some work in certain neighborhoods. I empathize more with the young Black men who are decent than the persons who say "I wouldn't open my door for young Black men". I'm a Black male and I know what it's like when someone perceives you as a threat.

I want you to think about this. When I was in my adolescent years, I got bullied alot. The majority of those who bullied me and assaulted me were White males. Now, I don't avoid all White males. I take persons individual by individual. However, answer this. What would you think if I adopted the "I avoid hanging around White males" based on things that happened to me?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Being a Black male in my early 30s, that woman's fear does scare me. When I was a teenager, I did cut other person's lawns, and rake leaves to make some money for myself. It would scare me to know that I could run into someone who would pull a gun on me. Someone being that scared of me as a Black male puts fear into me. I don't want to get killed because someone else feared me. This is one reason I empathize with those boys. There is a chance it could have been me. I used to be a kid. I used to goof around, I sometimes went door to door to sell candy for my school. I know that if someone feared me that much, the chances of me getting shot increase. And this is the thing. I was never into hood rat behavior. I'm not some thug or criminal bent person.

In my case, I was a tiny person. I'm only 5'5" today. I've always been small and perceived to be younger than I really am. However, when I got into my 20s, looking younger than I am didn't do any good. When I was 25, I looked like I was 20. I could still find someone who looked at me with distrust due to being a young Black male. I'm 33 and a grocery store clerk (herself being 19 or 20) thought I was 25, 26 years old.

My perspective is this. You don't want to be feared, especially for the stupidity of other persons who happen to look like you. It opens you up to situations where you could be faced with someone who fears you and could go into "take action" mode as a result. What do you do to keep yourself from getting into those situations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies