Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 AM

19,697 posts, read 10,034,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I actually find the pledge more offensive. Nothing like making tots swear loyalty to a government. It's garbage they're too young to even understand.
And they are actually swearing allegiance to a "flag'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,150,996 times
Quote:
I actually find the pledge more offensive. Nothing like making tots swear loyalty to a government. It's garbage they're too young to even understand.
Loyalty is a strange, strange thing. Why one would want to instill rote "loyalty" to government is beyond me. I mean, aside from the fact that critical thinking is the enemy of the power brokers.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,054,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its been shown to instill patriotism at an early age, so I'm all on board with it. Especially when the alternative for many seems to be a disgraceful hatred of this great nation.
Well, in my case, it instilled a lifelong suspicion of authority. Forced loyalty oaths for school kids? Maybe okay for dictatorships. Not in America. Land of the free.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 59, and grew up in the rural South. When I was in grade school (public school, BTW) in the 1960's, we started every school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer. Obviously, school prayer was ruled unconstitutional in time. This was the Bible Belt of course, and everyone participated. It was just a part of life at that time.

Interestingly, I've found that some people (mainly 20- and 30-somethings, it seems) refuse to believe that such as school prayer ever happened outside of a religious school. It seems to be something that today's youngsters have trouble wrapping their minds around (which puzzles me, too).

Any of you 50-somethings (or older) ever have prayer in public school? I can't be the Lone Ranger here.
Yup...

I started school in the 1950s and we recited The Lord's prayer each morning along with the pledge of allegiance.

Today, each and every student in public schools across America is free to pray.

It's just that they can't be forced to participate, like the old days.

As a retired HS teacher, I can assure you that there are plenty of prayers in public schools these days.

Especially before algebra tests.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 AM

2,554 posts, read 2,202,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am so sorry for you.

Of course we did. We all did.

Judging from the responses, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No prayer in my school in the early 60s in Pennsylvania.

I'm assuming that when people talk about prayer in public schools, they're thinking Christian prayer. That would have been awkward in my kindergarten class because 6 or 7 of the kids were Jewish.
Then there’s that.

The Jewish populations is some states was and remains very low.

There were sufficient Muslim populations in some states to build and sustain mosques nearly 100 years ago. If I recall, the oldest mosques were erected in Iowa and the Dakotas.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
By the time I hit high school in the 70’s, there was an early bell for the Pledge. Students were typically in the hallways. All were expected to stop and stand in place. Most did. No one removed their hat or assumed the position. I have no recollection of observing/ hearing anyone reciting the Pledge. Some went about their business and ignored the whole thing.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Loyalty is a strange, strange thing. Why one would want to instill rote "loyalty" to government is beyond me. I mean, aside from the fact that critical thinking is the enemy of the power brokers.
I am likely one of the most law abiding people in the US. I have never even had a parking ticket. I follow laws regardless of how I feel about a law.

Having said this, I do not understand the concepts of patriotism or pride, let alone the obligatory God Bless America, thing.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:06 AM

19,697 posts, read 10,034,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Then there’s that.

The Jewish populations is some states was and remains very low.

There were sufficient Muslim populations in some states to build and sustain mosques nearly 100 years ago. If I recall, the oldest mosques were erected in Iowa and the Dakotas.
In my high school I had a good friend who was Jewish. We had Christmas assemblies and the teachers went around and tried to forced everyone to sing. Always felt sorry for him being forced to sing Christian religious songs.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:16 AM

2,554 posts, read 2,202,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am likely one of the most law abiding people in the US. I have never even had a parking ticket. I follow laws regardless of how I feel about a law.

Having said this, I do not understand the concepts of patriotism or pride, let alone the obligatory God Bless America, thing.
Being retired military, I suppose I'm the polar opposite of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies