Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM

52,547 posts, read 34,276,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wanted that person to come up with a better answer than selfish reasons.

that doesn't float. if that's really what you were looking for you wouldn't have used 'you' so specifically and so often - you would have asked how the US benefits.

but you didn't.

Quote:
Why would you want more? What is the point? What are you getting out of it besides more land area and some place to travel to? What can you get from Greenland that you can't get from Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:00 PM

6,721 posts, read 4,391,447 times
Greenland was never for sale for him to buy. Trump is the one that was bought. Buy the NRA.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:05 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that doesn't float. if that's really what you were looking for you wouldn't have used 'you' so specifically and so often - you would have asked how the US benefits.

but you didn't.
It may not float with you. Too bad. I asked said persons to come up with better reasons than selfish aspirations. Those selfish aspirations were "enough for him". My response was this. It is about this country, not about that person's selfish wants. You don't NEED to travel to Greenland without a passport (you still can't). I let that person know that I don't care and for this reason: It's about the country, not an individual's selfish needs. I drove the point home.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:07 PM

6,753 posts, read 8,541,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not that I blame anyone for not following the ins and outs of an obscure episode in history, but the reality is, you couldn't be more wrong.

It was an absolute mess, ended up taking 50 years. The first attempts were made in 1867, and failed in the US Senate. Another deal was very close to being inked in 1902, but fell through due to political shenanigans in Denmark. The parties that had worked out the deal lost an election and immediately sabotaged their own deal, to make life harder for the new government.

It took an actual world war for the US and Denmark to get back to the table, and even then, Denmark's opposition parties hated on the deal and insisted that it could not go forward without either a lower-chamber election (Denmark had a bicameral parliament in these days) or a plebiscite. To make matters worse, women and servants had just been given the vote, so no one knew what the new lower-chamber would look like. To make matters even worse yet, Denmark was neutral and the deal had to be settled before the US entered WWI, in order to not anger Germany. It took the King's intervention, addition of opposition ministers in government, a research commission and finally a plebiscite to finally get the deal done. To give an impression of the tone of the arguments, here's a contemporary caricature of the commission working:

"angst, chest beating and hair pulling" doesn't even begin to cover it.

As a footnote, part of the treaty saw the US acknowledge full Danish control over - Greenland.
The original deal in 1867 fell through because of politics in the US senate fighting with President Johnson.

The US has never to my knowledge ever questioned Denmark's claim to Greenland, but back in the age of imperialism, I guess having that in writing was important to Denmark, so there it is in the 1917 treaty.

Counties used to sell territory back and forth all the time before the independence movements of African, Indian and Asian peoples in the 1940s-1970s with the breakup up the British Empire.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Greenland was never for sale for him to buy. Trump is the one that was bought. Buy the NRA.
President Trump isn't bought. This is what I see. He is a business man of a particular kind. He is all about the money. He thinks that he can just buy a country. He's used to being able to get whatever he wants, when he wants it. And this is bleeding into how he is running the country.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM

164 posts, read 187,926 times
Well, personally I think it’s a great idea.
I spent a couple weeks in Greenland a while back and it’s stunningly beautiful.
But maybe instead of an ought right purchase we should consider a trade.
Greenland is something like 20-25% of the size of the USA. We could offer them Florida, Alabummer, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, maybe throw in Tennessee and Kentucky.
Make Greenland a national park.
Win-win-win in just so many ways.

Last edited by Vance Mack; 08-21-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Mack View Post
Well, personally I think it’s a great idea.
I spent a couple weeks in Greenland a while back and it’s stunningly beautiful.
But maybe instead of an ought right purchase we should consider a trade.
Greenland is something like 20-25% of the size of the USA. We could offer them Florida, Alabummer, Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, maybe through in Tennessee and Kentucky.
Make Greenland a national park.
Win-win.
It's not going to happen. Denmark said no, and I don't think the residents of Greenland want their land being turned into a national park. Greenland already has a national park.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM

25,427 posts, read 9,750,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Yes, Trump called off a meeting of the PM of Denmark because she won't discuss the sale of Greenland.

Seriously, has there ever been a bigger idiot or moron as President. Trump is an embarrassment to this nation and a total disgrace to the American people. In other words, a loser in every sense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...and.html?login
He needs his passy.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He needs his passy.
President Trump's reaction to not being able to buy Greenland certainly shows a level of childishness.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:50 PM

15,740 posts, read 6,451,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
President Trump's reaction to not being able to buy Greenland certainly shows a level of childishness.
Yes, that behavior was pretty egregious on a number of levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies