Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on illegal immigration/border security
Open up the border, let them all in, drugs/human trafficking as well. 1 0.47%
Secure the border, deport the "bad hombre's", offer path to citizenship for balance 72 34.12%
Secure the border, deport all illegals. 126 59.72%
Other, explain in response. 12 5.69%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to look at the cost of deporting all illegals versus making them citizens. I bet rounding up all illegals across the USA would be astronomical. Federal workers could milk those bucks big time with all the "Overtime" across the country. Not to mention all the staffing up these agencies would need in order to effectively pull it off.

All the court cases, challenges, countries declining to take their citizens, on and on and on. I could see it costing >100 billon easy, and you better believe those agencies will find a need to keep the additional funding and personal. A new government jobs program that will never end.

Versus securing the border and provide a 1 time path to those already here post securing. Seems like common sense but that's not so common anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Option 2 makes sense to me I've stopped reading posts a long time ago from the people promoting some version of 3. I don't care what they have to say.
Some people consider different views to be very threatening and want to live in a bubble.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It would be interesting to look at the cost of deporting all illegals versus making them citizens. I bet rounding up all illegals across the USA would be astronomical. Federal workers could milk those bucks big time with all the "Overtime" across the country. Not to mention all the staffing up these agencies would need in order to effectively pull it off.

All the court cases, challenges, countries declining to take their citizens, on and on and on. I could see it costing >100 billon easy, and you better believe those agencies will find a need to keep the additional funding and personal. A new government jobs program that will never end.

Versus securing the border and provide a 1 time path to those already here post securing. Seems like common sense but that's not so common anymore.

Why round them up?

Just end all aid to them and deport the ones who show up to places like hospitals and schools, and the majority will self-deport at no cost.

Cut off birthright citizenship and that destroys motive for many. That also doesn't have any real cost.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:26 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Some people consider different views to be very threatening and want to live in a bubble.

I've heard the arguments I haven't seen anything new come out in a very long time. It's not about being in a bubble it's about being selective who is worth my time and who is not. If there is anything new that I find interesting coming from the "no way in hell" I'll listen to it but it's been a long time since I've seen anything worth more than a quick scan.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:27 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why round them up?

Just end all aid to them and deport the ones who show up to places like hospitals and schools, and the majority will self-deport at no cost.

Cut off birthright citizenship and that destroys motive for many. That also doesn't have any real cost.
Yet no politician has the stomach for cutting off birthright citizenship. What you are proposing isn't that simple.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM

15,837 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I'm for option #2. It's impractical to deport every illegal; they're too integrated into the economy. We'll need some sort of compromise solution.

Personally, I think illegals who came here as adults should never be provided a path to citizenship, but it'd be okay if they became legal residents. I'm open to accommodating citizenship for others, such as children of illegals who have attended U.S. schools for 5+ years and have become culturally assimilated. Military service is already a path to naturalization, so that should be allowed for young illegals as well.

My $.02 worth.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yet no politician has the stomach for cutting off birthright citizenship. What you are proposing isn't that simple.
It is simple. The problem is that they are afraid of being called names.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
No more amnesties ever. That just encourages more to come illegally and remain. End birthright citizenship, and no more amnesties, take away all support and most will leave on their own.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times
I want a relatively simple and easy path to citizenship. No deportation for anyone already here. If someone wants to be here and work, I believe they should be able to.

As long as becoming a citizen legally is easily doable, I'm fine with whatever border security people want.

There's always a lot of debate and people freaking out whenever the whole topic of the falling birth rates comes up. People are worried that Americans aren't having enough babies and that there won't be enough workers in the future. Letting in more immigrants seems like the perfect solution to that problem.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I want a relatively simple and easy path to citizenship. No deportation for anyone already here. If someone wants to be here and work, I believe they should be able to.

As long as becoming a citizen legally is easily doable, I'm fine with whatever border security people want.

There's always a lot of debate and people freaking out whenever the whole topic of the falling birth rates comes up. People are worried that Americans aren't having enough babies and that there won't be enough workers in the future. Letting in more immigrants seems like the perfect solution to that problem.
Border security depends on deportations, no amnesties and no incentives to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies