Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the US military did not lose in vietnam. they won all the battles, including the tet offensive which fell apart after the first day, and was finished when the marines retook the city of hue.

and when nixon instituted operation linebacker two, the NVA was within three days of surrendering when the operation was stopped after the NVA went back to the bargaining table.

we lost that war when the politicians signed the peace treaty. after we puled our combat troops out of the country, the NVA swarmed south, and we ended up leaving from the embassy, because there were not enough troops in country to stop the invasion.nice try but you have failed here.
No sir, it is you that failed. The Vietnamese were never close to surrendering, you clearly live in a fantasy world of your own making. If it is your happy place, then good for you, but don't tell that man he "failed", because he is spot on.

The military could still be in Vietnam today, 50 years later, and would still be winning the battles, but it would never win the war.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:20 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Have not seen it and have no interest in seeing it. I just know for a fact that they lied to us while we were there and lied to the public at home. And so did the media.
Well maybe the North Vietnamese will think twice before they attack our country and invade our borders.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No sir, it is you that failed. The Vietnamese were never close to surrendering, you clearly live in a fantasy world of your own making. If it is your happy place, then good for you, but don't tell that man he "failed", because he is spot on.

The military could still be in Vietnam today, 50 years later, and would still be winning the battles, but it would never win the war.
here is an in depth look at what led the north to win. This guy was there and knows. Not some armchair author who makes up stories. The united states government caused the Failure...……

ARVN 1968-1975

read this in its entirety...……..this is why I feel such pain at deserting the South vietnamese. They deserved better.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We got our butts kicked on a daily basis and the government admitted afterward that they grossly inflated the number of enemy losses. They did it because the war was losing support at home. And no, we turned tail and abandoned the south who had fought with us.
"We got our butts kicked on a daily basis"

Funny I did 2 TOURS there and NEVER got my but kicked, You?

"They did it because the war was losing support at home", BECAUSE the likes of walter cronkite were tellies LIES about what was gong on just as you just did based on what you heard from the "news". Crinkite stood in the middle of Saigon and claimed, "we have LOST the war" when in FACT we countered the attack. "
“Our Tet plans required absolute secrecy and all soldiers took an oath of silence. Therefore when fighting began, our supporters did not know what to do. Most were afraid and confused and did nothing. They did not know about the Tet Offensive beforehand.”
Tran Van Tra, writing in 1978
“The Tet Offensive] failed because we underestimated our enemies and overestimated ourselves. We set goals which we realistically could not achieve.”
Tran Van Tra, writing in 1978"

"General Vo Nguyen
He knew something else as well, and profited from it: that waging war in the television age depended as much on propaganda as it did on success in the field.
These lessons were driven home in the Tet offensive of 1968, when North Vietnamese regulars and Communist guerrillas, the Vietcong, attacked scores of military targets and provincial capitals throughout South Vietnam, only to be thrown back with overwhelming losses. General Giap had expected the offensive to set off uprisings and show the Vietnamese that the Americans were vulnerable.
Militarily, it was a failure. But the offensive came as opposition to the war was growing in the United States, and the televised savagery of the fighting fueled another wave of protests."

"
“The Tet offensive had been directed primarily at the people of South Vietnam,” General Giap said later, “but as it turned out, it affected the people of the United States more. Until Tet, they thought they could win the war, but now they knew that they could not.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/w...giap-dies.html

And was doing the MOST complaining about the war? COLLEGE "chickens" who were AFRAID they would get their buts sent there. Plain and simple!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-21-2019 at 06:01 AM..

Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 AM

858 posts, read 423,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick enough View Post
"we got our butts kicked on a daily basis"

funny i did 2 tours there and never got my but kicked, you?

Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^This. I tried to watch the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam, and only could get through three ur four episodes. A lot of Anti American, Progressive CRAP. Glorified Ho Chi Minh and the North Vietnamese as freedom fighters while portraying our soldiers as Baby Killers. Total lying to fit his Liberal/Progressive, hate America AGENDA.
After watching the 1st 2 I stopped because of what you said. I was there, he was NOT!

Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
It is NOTED you did NOT answer the question! But instead tried to divert away from it.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosep View Post
vs 444,000

Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,920,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
You actually think WW2 veterans did not suffer from PTSD?
I was dumbfounded by that statement. Sure they called it battle fatigue and shell-shock and so on, but the horror of war did as much damage to the WWII generation as it does today. Difference is that they had to suppress it and could not seek help as it was viewed as "weakness".

Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 AM

858 posts, read 423,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
vs 444,000

Americans only care about the number I gave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies