Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We can all be thankful that these losers were stopped before they could carry out their plans. We should be grateful for the authorities that did a great job in tracking down these threats.

What is really disturbing is that 2 of the 3 were young men. I can't help but worry and wonder if this generation of kids that has been given everything by mommy and daddy but discipline and gold stars and participation trophies for showing up are now realizing the reality of life and they are not happy.

Imagine the disappointment they must be facing in their early 20's when they realized that life is not fair and their dreams of being a rich actor/rapper/producer/videogame player/ blogger/skateboard pro have been dashed by the reality of a future flipping burgers for $9 an hour.

These spoiled brats have a lot of anger for the world and they blame everyone but themselves.

Banning certain guns is not going to prevent young men with an altered and deranged view of the world from seeking to lash out in anger.
Why assume they were given everything by mommy and daddy?
Why assume they were not disciplined?
Why assume they dreamt of being rappers?
Why assume they were spoiled?

If this mattered, would not all spoiled people be at higher risk of planning and engaging in a sensational mass shootings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
For these people like gmagoo (let me guess, he considers himself as a liberal and votes Democrat), it's basically out of sight, out of mind. Gang violence terrorizes those in the community far more than these sporadic and rare mass shootings. But, it's confined to Black urban city centers. It happens no where else. So gmagoo rightfully knows if he doesn't live there, he won't face any problems.
My first priority is the safety of my family and myself and that`s why I`m more concerned with terrorists` random mass murders than I am about inner city crime. Did I say those things weren`t tragic and I don`t care about them? Have you ever heard the saying "quit while you`re behind"?

Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Justice for what crime exactly?
Making threats, for one. Assuming the threats were credible and aimed at a specific place or person/people. Threats are not protected by the First Amendment.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So this is a good step forward, people are aware they have a duty when someone tells them clearly it's their intent to blow up a bunch of people, and they have the firepower to do it, to report them.

But now, what? What do you do with people who have clearly announced their intent, and stockpiled the necessary weapons, but haven't acted on it quite yet?

This bring up a good point, are you not innocent until proven guilty in this country? Is it legal to own a firearm and lots of ammo? If legally purchased, yes. Is it legal to have a different point of view? Again, yes it is. While making terrorist threats is against the law, it's a 3rd degree felony, unusually punishable up to 1 year in jail. With a good defense lawyer, it's going to be difficult for the persecution to get convictions in some of these cases.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My first priority is the safety of my family and myself and that`s why I`m more concerned with terrorists` random mass murders than I am about inner city crime. Did I say those things weren`t tragic and I don`t care about them? Have you ever heard the saying "quit while you`re behind"?
Understood. So what you’re saying is I don’t care about the terrorists in the Black inner city neighborhoods because they will never happen in my neighborhood. Your position is perfectly human and understandable but it lacks empathy. It’s basically a variant of NIMBYism.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Well, for those 3...there are least 300 more in the planning stage as we speak. There is no possible scenario where they can be stopped.

It's only a question of when and where. Sad, really, that the real problems aren't being solved on an emergency basis. All of society and government goes wild when, for example, it is rumored that X (drug) killed ONE person (it didn't, dehydration did)......they make it a bigger crime and warn of the terrible dangers.

Then they all stand mute when their children are shot up in elementary school.

As one person remarked, a country that no longer cares about their children being mass murdered is not going anywhere....I fully agree. That's a line that most nations would not cross.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why assume they were given everything by mommy and daddy?
Why assume they were not disciplined?
Why assume they dreamt of being rappers?
Why assume they were spoiled?

If this mattered, would not all spoiled people be at higher risk of planning and engaging in a sensational mass shootings?
I'd say this is the first generation of kids exposed to so many who pray at the Altar of AR type rifles and semi-auto pistols with big mags....and have been fully and completely educated in their capabilities.

Seems just a bit more logical to me. Give X amount of people access to X amount of "power" and watch the fireworks.

Anyone who can be so clueless as to support difficult to remove caps on pill bottles....but yet enjoy the "freedom" of 18 year olds (and much younger with bad parents) to buy and own weapons and ammo without much trouble.....needs to have their heads examined. Really.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
This bring up a good point, are you not innocent until proven guilty in this country? Is it legal to own a firearm and lots of ammo? If legally purchased, yes. Is it legal to have a different point of view? Again, yes it is. While making terrorist threats is against the law, it's a 3rd degree felony, unusually punishable up to 1 year in jail. With a good defense lawyer, it's going to be difficult for the persecution to get convictions in some of these cases.
So you exposed the vast loopholes (our "honor" system and our legal system) that allow millions to drive a truck through them.....

Perfect reasoning why strict background checks, licensing and registration are needed. If my weapon is to be used only for defense and hunting, why would I be concerned about those?

Old 08-19-2019, 12:48 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Understood. So what you’re saying is I don’t care about the terrorists in the Black inner city neighborhoods because they will never happen in my neighborhood. Your position is perfectly human and understandable but it lacks empathy. It’s basically a variant of NIMBYism.
I think they are saying that and are ok with it. It is like when AIDS was only about homosexuals and no one cared, when the crack epidemic was hitting the black urban areas and few cared. Now there are hard drugs in the suburbs and it's a crisis. Now those outside of high crime urban areas at (tiny) risk of being shot and it's a crisis.

No wonder there is racial anger and division, and increasingly, class divisions and anger.

They are getting more brazen in admitting they don't care about the poor or less fortunate and defending it.

Those bullet proof backpacks are much, much more likely to come in handy for kids in the hood than kids in a suburban school with a miniscule chance of being targeted by a shooter.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
.....Perfect reasoning why strict background checks, licensing and registration are needed. If my weapon is to be used only for defense and hunting, why would I be concerned about those?

Because once again, we are talking about a right and you shouldn't have to be licensed and registered to use a right. Do you want those requirements to be applied to the rest of the Bill of Rights?

Further, when you allow the government to license your rights, you are up the creek if the government decides it is only going to issue so many licenses and not more. The time to fight is now before the government does it but once you let the government license, then you no longer have a horse in the race if they decide to change the regulations to a situation that you don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies