Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 06:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Growing pains.

Try and try again. We'll get there. This is part of the future, apparently, to cut down on greenhouse emissions and global warming.

This is very exciting. I wish I were younger, to see all the innovations that are going to be used for power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
A lot of good Ideas are poorly implemented. At least in the beginning. That poor Coyote was always screwing it up.
Years ago making your home as airtight as possible was all the rage. Tivex on the outside, Plastic over the insulation on the inside. Foam around the windows and doors. Houses started to rot from the inside. Lessons learned houses need to breathe.

I would have made the shoulder of the road solar or middle.
Mall roof tops, parking lots etc. Between railroad tracks . Jesus I am no engineer, but can think of lots of places where they won't take any abuse at all.
Every military owned Golf Course should be converted into a solar farm.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 08-20-2019 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 06:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup that's what they said about sewer systems and such.
Agreed the idea is solid, the application is questionable.
Side walks? good.
mall roof tops. Good
Roof tops of Military barracks? Why not? Walking tracks? Why not.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
LOL... how would that work in heavy traffic? Or if there is an accident and cars are moving at 5mph to get around emergency vehicles?
That's what was once said about asphalt paving. No one ever believed it would replace cobblestones.

The thing I've come to learn is once any brand-new idea shows future potential, it will be explored until it either proves out or not. Sometimes the first new idea has to wait for some others behind it to catch up.

If electric cars are the future of the automobile, then it seems to me that electrified roadways will follow.

Once the road can keep the car's batteries charged, the car's range becomes limited only to how long the electric road is.

To me, that's a horse and cart thing. Once the horse exists, the cart will always follow, even if it takes a long time to figure out how to make good carts.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Hindenburg disaster kinda made people rethink hydrogen blimps.
Exactly. They didn't give up and stop using blimps, they switched to helium. Successful people welcome failure because it gives lessons on how to succeed in the next iteration.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I suspect many 'firsts' failed at some level.

So do we just never try again?

Interesting philosophy.
I actually agree with you for a change. A lot of "firsts" are failures throughout history. With failure comes knowledge and how to improve to make things better - keeping in mind that the knowledge gained could also be that the attempt is not worth it.

Not that I am an advocate for solar roads, but there's nothing to mock here. First failures are not unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Solar is not an efficient form of energy production. It takes up way too much space for a small amount of energy to be produced. People just like the idea of solar since they assume that it's "free" energy, forgetting that solar panels and infrastructure use resources and contribute to carbon output.

Nuclear is by far the cleanest and most efficient energy source that we have today but people are scared of it.
Yep.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
But with solar power we get to deforest the countryside. So it's a win-win.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Solar is not an efficient form of energy production. It takes up way too much space for a small amount of energy to be produced. People just like the idea of solar since they assume that it's "free" energy, forgetting that solar panels and infrastructure use resources and contribute to carbon output.

Nuclear is by far the cleanest and most efficient energy source that we have today but people are scared of it.
Some tyoe of gravity control would actually be the most efficient, but its easy to see, why no one would want that to ever succeed!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
None of the experts saw this coming!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Exactly. They didn't give up and stop using blimps, they switched to helium. Successful people welcome failure because it gives lessons on how to succeed in the next iteration.
Maybe they could give up putting them on roads and put them somewhere else b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies