Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM

43,081 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Give some examples of this supposed leftwing indoctrination purpetrated by teachers..As it seems to me if i dont follow your way of thinking then i'm completely hypnotized and are unable to see things and think for yourself.
K-5 Math..from NCTM..integrating social justice in Math
And people wonder why the US scores is trending down with each PISA test ?

Granted this isn't college level but as you can see it starts early, very early.

https://www.nctm.org/equityandsocialjustice/
Collective Action to Develop Awareness: Developing Social Justice Mathematics Activists in Pre-K-Grade 5
Prekindergarten-Grade 5 mathematics can be filled with rich, complex mathematical talk that moves beyond traditional counting and cardinality. When paired with issues of fairness, mathematics becomes a social justice tool that empowers students to mathematically recognize and address oppression they see in their own world. In this webinar, we present the critical mathematics details from two Black history-based activities in which children use mathematics to describe and confront the unfairness they notice within Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman skits. Through our experience with these activities, children learn how to communicate and address the unfairness they see using mathematics. This webinar will detail ways to implementing these activities in your classroom.

Last edited by TMSRetired; 08-21-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The "inexpensive state public college" I went to cost $25 per credit hour in the early 70s. I was making $2.50 an hour working part time, so I could pay off a full semester's tuition in half the semester working part time.

Now that same "inexpensive state public college" costs $400 per credit hour. It's not possible for a student to pay off tuition working part time (unless he's selling narcotics).

Moreover, those "inexpensive state public colleges" tend to have punitive admittance for students transferring from community colleges--denying many of those credit hours and requiring courses to be retaken.

Colleges these days are pursuing similar money-grubbing, screw-the-customer policies as any big business.

True the "inexpensive state public college" costs are still costly, but MUCH cheaper than privates. Also here in California the solid public Cal State Schools (23 of them) and the excellent public University of California System (9 of them excluding UCSF (grad school only)) encourage admittance for students transferring from community colleges per the UC/CSU Mission Statement of California Public higher education.

Approximate Yearly College Costs (California):

1.) Community College - $1k/year
2.) Cal State University - $5.7k/year
3.) University of California - $14k/year
4.) Private College (ex...USC) - $70k/year

So, without scholarships, pell grants, or financial aid (here in California), you can still get a four year degree by attending community college for 2 years, then transferring to a California State University college for $13,400 total which is a good deal. Especially compared to a Private like USC which would be $280,000 for a 4 year degree!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
College is bad for America. Look at the morons who take out massive loans. Not everyone is college material, and people who are going to college to "discover themselves" are simply wasting time and money.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
How is the government of a foreign country “privately funded?”
It's not your tax money...and, the citizens of that nation are individually wealthy...which is what I am referring to.

"Saudis", FYI, mean anyone of Saudi nationality. Private Citizens. Think!

Let me reword it specifically for you.

There are many Billionaires in Saudi Arabia who, independent of the Government of SA, would be glad to fund as many schools as possible in the USA.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

This is not really surprising given our current culture that views higher education, with the exception of institutions like Liberty University, as liberal indoctrination centers. Still, I think this is an alarming trend. There are a lot of issues with the higher education system in the US today but I'm pretty certain that's not why conservatives are turning so rapidly against it. I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
In a related story wealthy white liberals of privilege overwhelmingly agree that paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy little Johnny & Suzy's way into Harvard & Stanford is well worth the money . Johnny and Suzy's intelligence level affording them a better chance of being struck by lightning while being attacked by a shark than getting into Harvard or Stanford based on their grades .
The added benefit of this being exposing Harvard and Stanford for the sham criminal institutions they are issuing degrees based upon dollars .
Their morals being on par with drug dealers .

Last edited by unfailing presence; 08-21-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 01:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Anti science gop being lead by their fake news loving moron in chief.

I'm guessing the gop only likes high quality education from the likes of Trump U.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
There is a huge percentage of people who graduated college and can't find jobs or stuck working at Starbucks because no one else would hire them.

But hey, let's encourage more people to do the same.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Anti science gop being lead by their fake news loving moron in chief.

I'm guessing the gop only likes high quality education from the likes of Trump U.
I am trying to imagine anyone in the golden age of space exploration, a wonderful time in our country, eschewing higher education.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:20 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am trying to imagine anyone in the golden age of space exploration, a wonderful time in our country, eschewing higher education.
Trump probably thinks you can just learn everything you need for the "Space Force" from watching star trek and star wars

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM

43,081 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Trump probably thinks you can just learn everything you need for the "Space Force" from watching star trek and star wars
Might want to go back and read the article. Trump was not interviewed for this. Trump isn't even mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies