Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 12:42 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Not "higher ed" per se, but what higher education has become in the Current Year.

Hope that helps.
Exactly.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times
NOT having a college education means bottom of the barrel jobs outside of a trade schools, it will continue. College is the only way to get out of the lower-middle class for many. Trade school is an excellent choice if available but again no guarentees of a middle class wage either (yes yes we all know a guy, A/C repair now rich...). Very few people start and maintain successful businesses, and we do not teach people how to invest. In fact our entire economy depends on as much consumer spending as we can muster.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Nope. Republicans think higher education is just fine.

From the article linked in the OP:
Quote:
Roughly eight-in-ten Republicans (79%) say professors bringing their political and social views into the classroom is a major reason why the higher education system is headed in the wrong direction
It's when leftist fanatics disguise themselves as learned professors and try to indoctrinate students en masse, that the 59% of Republicans object.

Higher Education is just fine.

But the far-left tripe that the above "professors" try to substitute for it, is what they object to.

Nice try.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Not "higher ed" per se, but what higher education has become in the Current Year.

Hope that helps.
That's what I got out of the article as well. The title of the article really doesn't fit the context.

Here's one bit from the article that I do disagree with. I do think objectivity and open discourse is losing to herd mentality in higher ed.

"And while the ideological composition of academia is heavily tilted toward progressivism, there's little evidence that progressive professors tend to be biased against non-progressive students."

Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Neither team favors abolishing public universities so they're both poopy heads.

Poopy heads: the best term this college graduate from a public university could come up with at this time.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I earned an advanced degree in a STEM field from a public university and it unquestionably was a liberal indoctrination center. I was 100% bought into Democrat beliefs, essentially brainwashed and I didn’t realize it at the time.

Furthermore this also occurred, but to a lesser degree at the public middle and high schools I attended.

It took 2-3 years of being out in the real world and thinking for myself to open my eyes.

The degrees enable me to live a comfortable, high income life. So there is absolutely value in higher education. But anyone who argues that most education facilities aren’t operated by liberals who seek to pollute the minds of their young followers is either delusional or dishonest.
Well said, thanks for sharing that.

I also think someone that really isn't fit for higher education and is just going because they feel they have to , is a complete waste of money.

I know it would have been a waste of money for myself. Luckily I grew up in a time where I was able to get into the field I'm in now (for 30 years) with out one. Now at the age of 50 , it did catch up to me. Had I had a degree I'd be a direct employee vs a contractor. I'll just have to live with it, there is no way I'm going for an mechanical engineering degree at this age.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:52 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
NOT having a college education means bottom of the barrel jobs outside of a trade schools, it will continue. College is the only way to get out of the lower-middle class for many. Trade school is an excellent choice if available but again no guarentees of a middle class wage either (yes yes we all know a guy, A/C repair now rich...). Very few people start and maintain successful businesses, and we do not teach people how to invest. In fact our entire economy depends on as much consumer spending as we can muster.
Dude, you can go to IT trade schools for 6 months and skip the 4 years of college and make just as much. I did exactly that.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well said, thanks for sharing that.

I also think someone that really isn't fit for higher education and is just going because they feel they have to , is a complete waste of money.

I know it would have been a waste of money for myself. Luckily I grew up in a time where I was able to get into the field I'm in now (for 30 years) with out one. Now at the age of 50 , it did catch up to me. Had I had a degree I'd be a direct employee vs a contractor. I'll just have to live with it, there is no way I'm going for an mechanical engineering degree at this age.
I don't think you'd want to today. Imagine your physics class containing social justice material ?
Imagine circuit design taught from a social justice viewpoint ?

Master/Slave configurations...that's a no-no today and a few politically correct words have sprung up to take their place.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

This is not really surprising given our current culture that views higher education, with the exception of institutions like Liberty University, as liberal indoctrination centers. Still, I think this is an alarming trend. There are a lot of issues with the higher education system in the US today but I'm pretty certain that's not why conservatives are turning so rapidly against it. I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
I think that you are so full of it that it spews out into OPs like this ^^^^ one. Sad, very sad.

Last edited by Open-D; 08-20-2019 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 01:09 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Success from a bachelor's degree requires above-average intelligence. Either a person has to be able to get a marketable degree--and they all require above-average intelligence--or the person needs above-average intelligence to make himself marketable with an unmarketable degree.

People of average or slightly less intelligence might be guided to a soft bachelor's degree (why, for Gawd's sake, do some colleges offer a "Bachelor of Science in General Studies?" What a fracking cash grab that is!). But that will be a great debt that won't pay for itself for those people.

Technical education (not just "trades") is the greater benefit to the greater percentage of kids. But the entire education system needs to be reformed to that end. Right now, a senior could have a D average, and his high school counselor will still encourage him to go into debt for that Bachelor of Science in General Studies instead of med-tech training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies