Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

I didn’t know people needed to have a take on homosexuality.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:46 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wonder how old you are. I wonder this because my gay son, very young, is of the f the man and the system that seeks to send me under ground mindset. Though in a liberal state, we live in a rural community. To my knowledge no one has accosted my son directly. Who would? 6 feet tall and martial arts trained and really could not give a rat's behind what other people thing. (He is a great kid. Defender of the bullied. He makes me smile every day.) Worse, they have accosted his sister on this topic. Getting in her face about her ****** brother, etc.. Threatening to beat him up. (My daughter had a pretty good laugh at that one after the anger subsided.) I can see why young people, all full of **** and vinegar, get upset about this. These are people who fight for justice for pets for heaven's sake! My son would not be bothered much by affronts to himself. But to his SISTER? Oh man, we had to have some conversations about the merits (or lack thereof) of pulling out a full can of whip ass on the kid. One example.

I can only share what being not being a full part of mainstream society means for my child and his friends whose experience I am most aware of. He sees Be an Ally! posters at school. And wonders, why they hell should I need allies? He has kids who refer to him as his gay friend. Why is he not just their friend? He is THEIR token gay friend. Outside of the safety of the school community, he is threatened and mocked.

How weird is it to want to be a full member of society, receive notification of selective service requirements and know that his welcome even in the military has been doubted until recently and could be again at any time? Not that he wants to join the military, thank anything nearby that might be responsible.
We are around 40. I can just say from my experience, I have not had any issues in life and have not felt that being gay has held me back in any way. When I was young, I sought out the 'gay community' thing, but at this stage in my life feel that is not necessary and really don't even know any other gay people.

All our friends and neighbors are straight and all welcome us and treat us as just 'regular' people. In fact, I often forget we are in a gay, interracial relationship (he's Korea, and I'm caucasian). We each have different life experiences and different points of view and ways of looking at life I suppose, but I tend to feel if one dwells on something, then that something will define him.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM

52,255 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Live and let live I guess. How people live their lives isn't my concern, assuming people are law abiding citizens, aka regular folks, it's all good to me.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We are around 40. I can just say from my experience, I have not had any issues in life and have not felt that being gay has held me back in any way. When I was young, I sought out the 'gay community' thing, but at this stage in my life feel that is not necessary and really don't even know any other gay people.

All our friends and neighbors are straight and all welcome us and treat us as just 'regular' people. In fact, I often forget we are in a gay, interracial relationship (he's Korea, and I'm caucasian). We each have different life experiences and different points of view and ways of looking at life I suppose, but I tend to feel if one dwells on something, then that something will define him.
That's wonderful for you! I wish more people shared that experience.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Is it something to be ashamed of? Proud of? Or neither of those?
Neither, it is what it is. You shouldn't be ashamed of your sexual preference, but it's not something you should necessarily be proud of either as you had no choice in the matter.

I'm proud of my accomplishments. Being straight or gay is not an accomplishment.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Not gay but don't really care one way or the other about them. Homosexuality appears to me to be no less a part of nature than blonds, brunettes, fat and skinny people. I wont argue with nature. It is what it is.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:40 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
The arguments about whether or not it is "natural" are ridiculous. There are tons of things that humans do, that no other species does. I mean, you can train a cat to use a toilet, but that doesn't mean it's "natural." Unless you're prepared to morally condemn a whole lot of things, the "natural" or not argument makes zero sense. Margarine is not natural. Polyester is not natural. Posting on forums is not natural. Whatever in the hell that even means, really.

Of course, there are plenty of examples of animals engaging in homosexuality, not just the sex but lifelong pair bonding (penguins do it!) It has been postulated that this serves as highly useful in social species groups, as the non-reproducing pair can provide additional support to the breeding families, and take over surrogacy in the case of the deaths of parent creatures. Again...penguins. But we're not penguins. So who cares anyways?

I'd really like to know, what percentage of sexual encounters among humans are engaged in for the intended purpose of reproduction. I think it's got to be a pretty small number. I mean, guys, imagine if you got married, and your wife ONLY ever wanted to have sex if she were amenable to having a baby. Most people are fairly content with a couple, maybe 3 kids...not a whole brood. Imagine if outside of efforts to conceive a couple of times, she refused you entirely. And also refused to assist with you getting any other kind of "release" and also didn't want you to masturbate...since those things are for "unnatural" purposes. Don't think most straight dudes would be going for that.

So really, the whole "sex is for makin' babies!" argument...it's pretty questionable in the context of human behavior. What we actually do, what we need and want.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The arguments about whether or not it is "natural" are ridiculous. There are tons of things that humans do, that no other species does. I mean, you can train a cat to use a toilet, but that doesn't mean it's "natural." Unless you're prepared to morally condemn a whole lot of things, the "natural" or not argument makes zero sense. Margarine is not natural. Polyester is not natural. Posting on forums is not natural. Whatever in the hell that even means, really.
Arsenic is natural. But I don't consume it. But the whole natural argument is dumb anyway because there is so much evidence that it is very natural.

Quote:
Of course, there are plenty of examples of animals engaging in homosexuality, not just the sex but lifelong pair bonding (penguins do it!) It has been postulated that this serves as highly useful in social species groups, as the non-reproducing pair can provide additional support to the breeding families, and take over surrogacy in the case of the deaths of parent creatures. Again...penguins. But we're not penguins. So who cares anyways?

I'd really like to know, what percentage of sexual encounters among humans are engaged in for the intended purpose of reproduction. I think it's got to be a pretty small number. I mean, guys, imagine if you got married, and your wife ONLY ever wanted to have sex if she were amenable to having a baby. Most people are fairly content with a couple, maybe 3 kids...not a whole brood. Imagine if outside of efforts to conceive a couple of times, she refused you entirely. And also refused to assist with you getting any other kind of "release" and also didn't want you to masturbate...since those things are for "unnatural" purposes. Don't think most straight dudes would be going for that.

So really, the whole "sex is for makin' babies!" argument...it's pretty questionable in the context of human behavior. What we actually do, what we need and want.
It is not "pretty questionable", though I think you are trying to be kind. It is completely absurd.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:57 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
None of my business.
This is the correct answer.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Is it something to be ashamed of? Proud of? Or neither of those?
cringe and change the channel......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies