Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 05:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d...medium=ios_app

With Brazil’s new president promoting more deforestation, this is pretty grim.
He's another climate denier. Those photos are just terrible. Jesus Christ. Can't people even refrain from burning down the freaking Rainforest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Oh come on...can't you Trump supporters just be proud of your legacy for once?

Bolsonaro has clearly shown his affinity for Trump and that is why many have called him the Trump of the Tropics. They have both spoken highly of each other.

So either embrace your boys or get out of dodge....you are either all in on this populist plague or you are just pretenders.
They should own it. But perhaps the sight of the Amazon Rainforest burning even gave them pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
For whatever reason, religious fundamentalism seems to encourage people's lack of appreciation for the natural world. The reason American conservatives love Bolsonero so much is he's a Christian nationalist who, like American evangelicals, believes that we are living in the end of days.
And I don't get that at all. One would think it would be just the opposite. God can be found in the forest and on the mountain as well as in a (real) church.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think rain forests start to burn all by themselves. Nor do they chop themselves down.

A tree in the Amazon is more valuable than a tree in Germany. The Amazon is a giant, unique, complex ecosystem.
Sure, reforestation in Europe and elsewhere is better than nothing, but it is not the same as compensating for a chopped down Amazon. Especially when at the same time rain forests are also being destroyed in Indonesia and such Asian countries, often because of palm oil production.

So come up with a way to pay people in Brazil not to cut down the rain forests. Otherwise they have a right to survive.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
For whatever reason, religious fundamentalism seems to encourage people's lack of appreciation for the natural world. The reason American conservatives love Bolsonero so much is he's a Christian nationalist who, like American evangelicals, believes that we are living in the end of days.
On this board, types like you are so negative you'd think we'd believe you are going to die tomorrow because your life sucks so bad at other's expense that are happy. Move and save your neighbors the pain. Enrich what's left of your life. No one can do it but you. Maybe a go fund me?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
[quote=Eumaois;55986005]How much of that rain forest gets damaged by people and how much is natural damage?[/QUOTE

What is normal or natural to you? Fires or earthquakes? Flooding ? Larger ants ? Not in too often in Brazil. There is actually a segment maybe from nat geographic- that showed the huge process or recycling that happens when a leaf falls. Astonishing and wonderful how the Forrest it feeds itself. Man should not touch it. Where Peta and the green folks ?!

Last edited by tinytrump; 08-21-2019 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
The Amazon Rainforest is on fire and it can be seen from space..
That's nice. My license plate can also be seen from space. Point?

There have been a bunch of fires around here this summer. Just like every summer as far back as I can remember.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I’m starting to ask myself. Where are these headers coming from? Like they all out to destroy and not build.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:45 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Video footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3KEZ8Ou9c

Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's nice. My license plate can also be seen from space. Point?

There have been a bunch of fires around here this summer. Just like every summer as far back as I can remember.
Significant because the amazon is home to a diverse amount of plants and animals and it acts as a huge filtration system for the air. A significant burning and no one is doing anything. Losing a huge chunk of the amazon would be catastrophic..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2S6lGKf3ls

Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
I find it absolutely hilarious that people are all of a sudden concerned about deforestation down there. Not too long ago before Trump was in office and this topic came up about South Americans cutting down the forests at a rapid pace the climate hoaxers all said, so what, the South American people have a right to make a living by logging those areas and when it was mentioned that those forests are critical to the planet's atmosphere all we were told is it's only a small percentage, we'll be fine. Bunch of fakes.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I find it absolutely hilarious that people are all of a sudden concerned about deforestation down there. Not too long ago before Trump was in office and this topic came up about South Americans cutting down the forests at a rapid pace the climate hoaxers all said, so what, the South American people have a right to make a living by logging those areas and when it was mentioned that those forests are critical to the planet's atmosphere all we were told is it's only a small percentage, we'll be fine. Bunch of fakes.
Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies