Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 05:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Sounds like the "dress code" is actually a uniform which have no place in public schools.
They do have a dress code. Tops: White, black or gray with a collar Bottoms: Pants, skirts or shorts in khaki or black
https://schools.mnps.org/stratford-s...school-details

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
So, the Dad is wearing Orange now.
Which from the looks of it, is one of their schools colors.

I wonder what her outfit looked like for her and her dad to go off like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:40 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's a uniform. They have to wear collared shirts of a specific color and wear shorts or pants of a specific color. That's a uniform.
No, it's a dress code. Collared shirts with multiple color choices; pants, shorts, skirts with multiple color choices.

That's not a uniform. If I can wear a grey shirt and khaki pants while you wear a black shirt and grey shorts - we're not "uniform".

Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Make school uniforms mandatory until high school graduation.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Make school uniforms mandatory until high school graduation.
Thats the thing though. This school has a mandatory uniform.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, it's a dress code. Collared shirts with multiple color choices; pants, shorts, skirts with multiple color choices.

That's not a uniform. If I can wear a grey shirt and khaki pants while you wear a black shirt and grey shorts - we're not "uniform".
https://www.kappanonline.org/underwo...ee-expression/

Quote:
Dress codes versus uniforms
Generally less restrictive than uniform policies, dress codes tend to prohibit things like lewd or disruptive apparel or anything that promotes violence, harassment, or illegal activity (including alcohol and drug use). Some policies are much more specific, banning categories of clothing and specific items.
Dress code would be hair no longer than the collar, trimmed fingernails, skirts no shorter than mid-thigh, blouses covering the abdomen, no t-shirts with band names, etc.

My kids had uniforms that were similar to the one being discussed. Just because they give color options doesn't mean it's not a uniform.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Oh golly gosh, life as we know it would descend into mass chaos and we'll all die if a teenage girls shoulders are EXPOSED IN SCHOOL!

Dress codes are stupid.

I was That Parent when my kids were in school - but of course nobody called the cops on me because I'm a middle aged white lady.
School is where kids learn subjects, but also social skills, being on time, being responsible for self control, studying at home, and following rules. This is their "job". And since this is the equivelant to "work" for adults, they should follow their "bosses" dress code.

Also school uniforms help make kids less likely to have gang symbols, risque clothing, end stigma of someone unable to buy 200. Sneakers or designer clothes, makes them more punctual by eliminating clothing decisions, makes them be dressed for success.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
School is where kids learn subjects, but also social skills, being on time, being responsible for self control, studying at home, and following rules. This is their "job". And since this is the equivelant to "work" for adults, they should follow their "bosses" dress code.

Also school uniforms help make kids less likely to have gang symbols, risque clothing, end stigma of someone unable to buy 200. Sneakers or designer clothes, makes them more punctual by eliminating clothing decisions, makes them be dressed for success.

School is also a place they learn to question their own sexuality at 10/11, they don't really give homework, nor do they really enforce the rules. When I was in high school a kid get away with wearing a baseball cap to school. They sure a heck do now.

It's all about the new "it" thing. My 12 year old says many are all about their iphones, Gucci, nails done, make up and hair dyed. Even when uniforms are enforced, many of those things still exist. No matter what the schools system puts into place, the crazier it gets.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Ugh. Don't get me started on dress codes.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
That man looks mentally ill. Doesn’t surprise me that he acted out inside the school.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Sounds like the "dress code" is actually a uniform which have no place in public schools.
School uniforms would go a LONG way in deterring a lot of problems in school. You do know how cruel kids can be when you can't afford to dress like the others do, right? Every kid should have a school uniform and wear the same thing in public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies