Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 03:33 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
How dare those hungry children exist!

What do you propose to do about the ones that are already here? Let them starve because they lost the parent lottery? I guess if you win it, you think you deserve it.

I can't fathom punishing children for the sins of their parents. But I think that's biblical, if I recall correctly. Seven generations, right?

Sorry for the tone, but I work with these hungry children, so I know for a fact that they exist.
No, how dare those irresponsible parents not feed them themselves! If you can't feed em then don't breed em.

How are they starving? Their parents get food stamps, SNAP, etc. It's double dipping expecting our schools to feed them also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
I kind of what to say that the majority of CD posters here are the angry white conservatives who I don't think most of them work and surf online to Breitbart for their news, but that's just mean.

Back when I was in public school I couldn't handle the food waste of students throwing out food. It made me want to puke. That was just one school, think of the nation.
I know for a fact that most conservatives that post in this forum (and why mention gender and race anyway?) are working or have worked all their lives. I am retired but I have worked for over 50 years! Don't assume things just because it fits your biased liberal agenda.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.
Omg they are feeding children with my tax dollars? Children who have been shown to do better in school when they aren’t hungry? The horror of investing in our future is immeasurable.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You need to read up on the sexual abuse of kids in the care of the Great state of Texas. I'm referring to plain ol common foster care, not illegals or asylum seekers. What the CPS services has allowed is an ongoing scandal.

As a foster parent when we were younger, IMO, birth control should be put in the drinking water of all people who are not married. or not high school graduates.

We had one baby whose fully grown mother abandoned him with a babysitter. She was pregnant with her 5th. child by the 5th father. She just didn't want the baby we had because she didn't like the father. But she would not sign the papers for that blonde haired blue eyed boy to be adopted. She would see him for 15 minutes at a time a couple times a year. The state of Missouri could not declare him abandoned. The state should have tied her tubes.

If you are old enough to multiply you should be able to add.
I couldn't agree more, I've thought that one of the best investments the government could make would be to give young single women a financial incentive for using long term birth control

Old 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
How dare those hungry children exist!

What do you propose to do about the ones that are already here? Let them starve because they lost the parent lottery? I guess if you win it, you think you deserve it.

I can't fathom punishing children for the sins of their parents. But I think that's biblical, if I recall correctly. Seven generations, right?

Sorry for the tone, but I work with these hungry children, so I know for a fact that they exist.

What people really want here whether they know it or not is some type of "poor people tribunal"

They have in their minds that only certain people are deserving of help. Poor people can go before the "tribunal" state their case and the high, mighty, perfect people who live in ivory towers get to decide their fate.

Conversely, I would like to see a "corporate tribunal" instead where companies like Amazon get to state their case why they should pay zero federal income tax. That is what we should be concerned about, not some kids getting free off brand cereal for breakfast and/or soggy tacos at lunch.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:14 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, how dare those irresponsible parents not feed them themselves! If you can't feed em then don't breed em.

How are they starving? Their parents get food stamps, SNAP, etc. It's double dipping expecting our schools to feed them also.
You may not realize it, but some people don't have it together enough to go through the process to get government aid. I agree that their irresponsible parents should feed them, and I teach my students that it is their responsibility to provide for everyone whom they create. But I also know children whose parents don't get aid and don't feed them either. They have to get what they can at school and try to go to friends' houses for meals when possible.

Feeding children makes them better able to learn. Perhaps we could include that as part of the expense to educate them. Healthy, well-fed children use fewer medical services, which for taxpayer-paid health care, would seem to be a good thing.

I think too many people don't see the trees for the forest. A healthy forest depends on healthy trees. A healthy country needs to have healthy people. It's easier to grow them that way than to try to fix them once they are grown and have poor habits. When you look at children who get free lunches as a monolithic whole, instead of as individual people with their own set of circumstances, it's easy to focus on the forest and not the trees.

eta. I meant to ask if you propose letting the children starve who have parents who don't or won't provide for them, even through government programs. What do you suggest is done with them?

Old 08-27-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
Thanks for fitting that stereotype.
What stereotype? You accused conservatives in here of being unemployed. I told you I worked for over 50 years!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Forget free lunches, the schools themselves shouldnt exist.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
You may not realize it, but some people don't have it together enough to go through the process to get government aid. I agree that their irresponsible parents should feed them, and I teach my students that it is their responsibility to provide for everyone whom they create. But I also know children whose parents don't get aid and don't feed them either. They have to get what they can at school and try to go to friends' houses for meals when possible.

Feeding children makes them better able to learn. Perhaps we could include that as part of the expense to educate them. Healthy, well-fed children use fewer medical services, which for taxpayer-paid health care, would seem to be a good thing.

I think too many people don't see the trees for the forest. A healthy forest depends on healthy trees. A healthy country needs to have healthy people. It's easier to grow them that way than to try to fix them once they are grown and have poor habits. When you look at children who get free lunches as a monolithic whole, instead of as individual people with their own set of circumstances, it's easy to focus on the forest and not the trees.

eta. I meant to ask if you propose letting the children starve who have parents who don't or won't provide for them, even through government programs. What do you suggest is done with them?
If they aren't working and not seeking government aid then how are they surviving? You have to eat somehow. I never saw a bunch of homeless people that were dragging a bunch of kids around with them either.

Sorry, but we will just have to agree to disagree. The more we enable these lazy, irresponsible parents the longer this problem is going to go on. Let them seek help from charities then. The taxpayer is all maxed out.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.
I was a .10cent lunch kid in the 70’s. My mom worked FT to raise 3 kids away from an abusive alcoholic father.

I thank my countrymen for paying for that.

And I got ridiculed at school for being poor.

Some things are greater than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies