Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:02 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times

Advertisements

You can chalk this one under: diversity is not our strength.

In monoethnic, and monocultural societies, people are less bothered by social welfare programs such as these. But in diversified racial, ethnic, and cultural societies (like the USA), we're constantly at each other's throats over this, that, and the other thing that we'd rather throw out the baby with the bath water to prevent our enemies from having a free lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You can chalk this one under: diversity is not our strength.

In monoethnic, and monocultural societies, people are less bothered by social welfare programs such as these. But in diversified racial, ethnic, and cultural societies (like the USA), we're constantly at each other's throats over this, that, and the other thing that we'd rather throw out the baby with the bath water to prevent our enemies from having a free lunch.
Why don't we offer to pay for everyone's meals in the US to ensure everyone in need is fed?

Does it really matter if we give dinner money to millionaires?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
We are not in a high poverty area, and the letter that went out to us the first year specifically said it was via a federal grant obtained due to Hurricane Harvey.

The letter that came last week stated the grant was approved again this year and the free lunches for EVERY STUDENT would continue for the 2019 - 2020 year.
OK. And? Write your Congressman to complain. Then , if the funding is pulled (which is likely an internal funds transfer within Agriculture) you can ***** that he doesn't do anything for the district.

Look, I don't know your town's economics but it apparently meets some funding triggers. Where I grew up in PA has a school board member complaining that the district isn't poor enough to get on the universal meals program.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OK. And? Write your Congressman to complain. Then , if the funding is pulled (which is likely an internal funds transfer within Agriculture) you can ***** that he doesn't do anything for the district.

Look, I don't know your town's economics but it apparently meets some funding triggers. Where I grew up in PA has a school board member complaining that the district isn't poor enough to get on the universal meals program.
To make sure I understand you, we shouldn't post about politics and government problems unless we have written our congress people?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Why don't we offer to pay for everyone's meals in the US to ensure everyone in need is fed?

Does it really matter if we give dinner money to millionaires?
I'm a white working class guy, I'm sympathetic to poor kids and wouldn't mind (if I was living in Iceland) if our taxpayer dollars took care of each other. But I don't live in Iceland. I live in the USA, where everyday minorities aggressively pushing for their interests - often at the expense of my own and other White people - so it's hard to be generous and easy to be spiteful.

It's just my observation.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
To make sure I understand you, we shouldn't post about politics and government problems unless we have written our congress people?
There's a lot you don't understand, what I wrote is just one example.

If you are so incensed that kids in your school system are receiving FARM stop complaining here and write your Congressman.

Like I said, at some point your school system met markers for the meals program. You can like that or not.

I always got pissed about the kids on free lunch whose parents dropped them off in a Tesla or Maybach. Those kids also usually got need based scholarships.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a lot you don't understand, what I wrote is just one example.

If you are so incensed that kids in your school system are receiving FARM stop complaining here and write your Congressman.

Like I said, at some point your school system met markers for the meals program. You can like that or not.

I always got pissed about the kids on free lunch whose parents dropped them off in a Tesla or Maybach. Those kids also usually got need based scholarships.
I'm just showing yet another example of how the federal government is not responsible with our money, and yes, I'm incensed that tax money is being wasted by the billions on a non-stop basis.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
One of our rural schools opted out of the federal lunch program. They decided it was cheaper to just feed them all out of the money they already get than to pay the three people it took to do all the government paperwork.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
One of our rural schools opted out of the federal lunch program. They decided it was cheaper to just feed them all out of the money they already get than to pay the three people it took to do all the government paperwork.
Where do they get the money from now? I'm sure it's stolen but just curious.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.
You know what the tax burden is on people for stuff like this? Peanuts. You can find out how much the federal budget gives away instead of "guessing" by googling it. It is a matter of public record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies