Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 02:22 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It'll be interesting to see if she gets elected. She's certainly achieved the goal candidates have of making her message "stand out" and separate her from others on the ballot. :-/

So I took a Google street view tour of Marysville, wondering why the population is 97% white. It's about 20 miles from Detroit, that has a very large black population.

I thought maybe the housing was outrageously expensive, and so fewer minorities might choose to live there.

Nope. I found a lot of very affordable housing. Some upper middle class, some middle class, and some clearly working class neighborhoods.

My guess is, this woman is not at all alone in her thinking in her town - and that's why she felt so emboldened so state her views publicly in a public forum. Because that's how her neighbors feel, and they're also vocal about it. She's accustomed to speaking this way, and hearing others speak this way.

There's SOMETHING keeping minorities out. And my guess is, it's because the town is pretty verbal about their preferences for white neighbors only.
I'm wondering if that town is considered to be a "Sundown Town", where informal community controls are often used to segregate towns and communities.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm the only one saying it's acceptable to vote to keep a community homogenous or vote to not. Everyone else is saying it is entirely unacceptable.
The US Constitution and civil rights laws says otherwise.

You should get a time travel thing and go back to 1956. Either in Alabama or South Africa. Take your pick.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:26 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Yes really. People just don't want homogenous communities of whites to exist out of spite.

For example, I've been watching for years "diverse" people drive 20 miles past at least 3 diverse Supermarkets to be seen at the white community's supermarket out of spite. They even move to the community out of spite. There should be official policy to prevent a community from having spiteful neighbors moving in.
Actually, I just want to troll Jean Cramer. As for the rest of the community, I would be going out of my way to make myself part of that community, if I ever decided to move there. I don't see how my presence would hurt the community, unless I was committing crime or failing to be part of the community. The same would be the case if I moved to a predominantly Asian or predominantly Hispanic community. I don't see how my presence would cause a legitmate problem unless I was doing things like committing crime.

I don't think "diverse supermarkets" are put in predominantly White areas out of spite. I certainly have no problem going to such supermarkets. People move their business where they think they can make money. I don't see what your problem is. I can only gues that your mentality is "if you're not White, stay out". I'm Black and I don't have the mentality of "if you're not Black, stay out".

Old 08-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Yes really. People just don't want homogenous communities of whites to exist out of spite.

For example, I've been watching for years "diverse" people drive 20 miles past at least 3 diverse Supermarkets to be seen at the white community's supermarket out of spite. They even move to the community out of spite. There should be official policy to prevent a community from having spiteful neighbors moving in.
Well, maybe those "white community supermarkets" offer something that these "diverse" supermarkets don't. They don't have to answer to you or anyone else. I don't have a problem with white people going to an Asian supermarket to shop. Why does it bother you?

Frankly, it's none of your darned business about where people shop. We've had a couple of US Supreme Court cases that have affirmed that businesses have to offer the same services to anyone regardless of their background.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I just want to troll Jean Cramer. As for the rest of the community, I would be going out of my way to make myself part of that community, if I ever decided to move there. I don't see how my presence would hurt the community, unless I was committing crime or failing to be part of the community. The same would be the case if I moved to a predominantly Asian or predominantly Hispanic community. I don't see how my presence would cause a legitmate problem unless I was doing things like committing crime.
It might and probably wouldn't hurt the community if just you moved to an homogenous community. But what happens when hundreds and thousands move there?

Quote:
I don't think "diverse supermarkets" are put in predominantly White areas out of spite. I certainly have no problem going to such supermarkets. People move their business where they think they can make money. I don't see what your problem is. I can only gues that your mentality is "if you're not White, stay out". I'm Black and I don't have the mentality of "if you're not Black, stay out".
You misunderstand what I said. I've seen black and other non-white people drive miles away past supermarkets in diverse areas to the rare remaining white community's supermarket just so the supermarket will be diverse and not so white.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, maybe those "white community supermarkets" offer something that these "diverse" supermarkets don't. They don't have to answer to you or anyone else. I don't have a problem with white people going to an Asian supermarket to shop. Why does it bother you?

Frankly, it's none of your darned business about where people shop. We've had a couple of US Supreme Court cases that have affirmed that businesses have to offer the same services to anyone regardless of their background.
No the white supermarket in question is an exact copy except has less variety of inventory. The only thing it offers is more attractive, quieter and more orderly people.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:

Maybe they move there because the streets are broader, and the schools better?

When you think other people outside your own community join you "out of spite", I think you're seeing it COMPLETELY differently. They're going there because they also want to be there.

(Now feels paranoid that the shoppers at Asian and Indian grocery stores think I visit their stores out of "spite" instead of because they have delicious somosas and pot stickers).

Old 08-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe they move there because the streets are broader, and the schools better?

When you think other people outside your own community join you "out of spite", I think you're seeing it COMPLETELY differently. They're going there because they also want to be there.

(Now feels paranoid that the shoppers at Asian and Indian grocery stores think I visit their stores out of "spite" instead of because they have delicious somosas and pot stickers).
Of course white homogenous communities tend to be better. The homogeneity made them better. They never stay better as they become more diverse. But diversity doesn't need to go on a seek and destroy mission of the rare homogenous neighborhoods. Supposedly diverse neighborhoods are the best.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
So many foreigners shouldn't be here to begin with. There's no laws or enforcement of laws of keeping people ruining a community out of the community anymore, but they sure are needed now more than ever.
And if they are assigned, they will be defied.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:14 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
I'm the only one saying it's acceptable to vote to keep a community homogenous or vote to not. Everyone else is saying it is entirely unacceptable.
Yes. You are the only one saying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies