Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
More like we can't have a black sports celebrity man going to jail for raping a white woman.
More like we can’t accept 12 jurors, a cop and a judge all saw no case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd hope that everyone here can agree that the jury did not find him innocent.
That’s not a jury’s job.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:03 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
A couple points for people to consider.

1) He was not charged with kidnapping. The prosecutor didn't even file that charge.

2) For educational purposes, here is what was likely used to avoid the charge of unlawful imprisonment,
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...y-defense.html

To balance it out we have the video of her walking into the hotel room with him but we have the one where she's running away naked. She told the police when they came to the hotel room that she was fine (and if you read around will find the police describing her as beligerant towards the police). In the morning, she said she'd been raped.

She may very well win a civil suit but the law for criminal convictions says "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" which does not mean "innocent".

Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I AM trying to get more information, and have asked a few times, and others have agreed there isn't really a lot more details to explain the jury decision.

Whether it comes across as sincere here, I guess that's up to everyone's interpretation.

I am completely open to saying the jury was correct, she consented to sexual activity. I just have no information as to why they did that, in the fact of this very concerning video.

I DON'T need to know what went on in the hotel room to know - for absolute sure - she was trying to get away from him, and he was dragging her back against her will. THAT much is absolutely clear - he's at least guilty of kidnapping and holding her hostage against her will. And that's what I mean, I don't need further information to know that for sure.

About whether the sexual interaction was consensual, I don't have the information - and it appears no one else here can find it either - that made the jury convinced he was innocent.

He was NOT innocent of kidnapping and illegally detaining her.

(maybe some of the confusion comes from the fact that I am truly seeking new information, and have no trouble acknowledging new information and changing my mind in cases like this.)
On multiple occasions I have used necessary force to prevent a drunken fool from leaving a house. My own brother on two occasions. A drunk woman running around in only her bra might not be safe on the streets.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That’s not a jury’s job.
Correct, we agree.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
The video leaves no reasonable doubt that she was trying to escape a non-consensual sexual encounter. I'm not buying that any woman, intoxicated or not, runs out of a room naked away from a man because she's "crazy". It just doesn't happen. Women run away naked from a man to avoid a man who is violating her consent.

But how did she get naked in the first place? I'm not saying a woman who removes her clothes should be raped. But they aren't 13 year olds either, daring each other to remove their clothing and see how far they can go without going all the way. If she only wanted to kiss or didn't even want that, why did she remove her clothes?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
On multiple occasions I have used necessary force to prevent a drunken fool from leaving a house. My own brother on two occasions. A drunk woman running around in only her bra might not be safe on the streets.
Yeah but she's not his brother and I bet your brother wasn't leaving the house naked because someone was trying to have sex with him.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
But how did she get naked in the first place? I'm not saying a woman who removes her clothes should be raped. But they aren't 13 year olds either, daring each other to remove their clothing and see how far they can go without going all the way. If she only wanted to kiss or didn't even want that, why did she remove her clothes?
Do we know for fact how she ended up undressed? I don't know but I would guess she might've been blacking out and he undressed her.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Someone who is not an officer of the law has no legal right to restraint or prevent another adult from leaving a situation in which there's been no crime committed against the person or property of the restrainer. That is kidnapping.

Touching another without their permission (i.e. just as this guy did as seen on video as he's dragging and pulling this woman back towards his motel room) is considered battery. It doesn't matter why he did it, he legally had no right.

Twice she left and twice he coerced and physically restrained her and pulled her or dragged her back. She had the right to leave whether she was wearing clothes or not.

So from that video I know 2 things:

1. He committed battery
2. He kidnapped

I also believe he sexually assaulted this woman, based on her pleading for help from another person right there as she was being dragged back as well as the both of them without clothes on.

You can make all the excuses you want, but despite the jury acquitting him, he did commit more than 1 crime.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:34 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
Do we know for fact how she ended up undressed? I don't know but I would guess she might've been blacking out and he undressed her.

Well, that's a good point. I don't know if it was addressed. There appears to be some blacking out in the car until they got to the hotel. I think she was awake and alert and walked into the motel of her own volition; supposedly that's on video. Guess it's possible she could have blacked out after. She does admit there's stuff she doesn't remember. But she never said she was shocked to wake up and find herself undressed--just that he was kissing her and then tried to penetrate her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies