Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:22 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Amazon Burning Not An Oxygen Problem: 20% Figure At Least Three Times Too High

“biologically and physically impossible for the Amazon to produce 20% of the world’s oxygen.”

https://climatenexus.org/climate-cha...imes-too-high/

==========

As The Amazon Fires Spread, So Did This Unfounded Statistic

the Amazon represents at most approximately 6% of the world’s oxygen production, and it is “biologically and physically impossible for the Amazon to produce 20% of the world’s oxygen.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#2c5fe87e1ea9
Even at that rate, the Amazon is important for a vast number of reasons. I'm so disturbed by what is going on over there right now, especially with the displacement of birds and animals. I've seen many shows about the amounts and varieties of wildlife. It breaks my heart. I found an interesting article regarding the importance of rain forests. It's like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. We are past the point of no return sadly.
Facts and information on the Amazon Rainforest

Old 08-24-2019, 11:23 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
So its all about property rights over well being of the planet. With this mentality, we deserve extinction. Some things should be off limits.
We're on a quick road to extinction. These kinds of practices just hasten the inevitable. The sad thing is, many humans see and understand what is going on. What is unconscionable is the poor animals, who have not a clue what is happening around them.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Even at that rate, the Amazon is important for a vast number of reasons. I'm so disturbed by what is going on over there right now, especially with the displacement of birds and animals. I've seen many shows about the amounts and varieties of wildlife. It breaks my heart. I found an interesting article regarding the importance of rain forests. It's like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. We are past the point of no return sadly.
Facts and information on the Amazon Rainforest
absolutely mom.....almost all of the fires are land that's been cleared for farming...they are burning the weeds off to get ready to plant...it's early spring for them

...and they are destroying the rain forest in Borneo, etc....to grow palm oil...because of global warming

Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
I read the article. These indigenous people sound awfully sophisticated (language and about how things work to get things done in government) for people who live crudely in the forest.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:40 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I read the article. These indigenous people sound awfully sophisticated (language and about how things work to get things done in government) for people who live crudely in the forest.
It sounds like they are being used for an agenda by environmentalists, who no doubt live in a modern city with a college education.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:47 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It sounds like they are being used for an agenda by environmentalists, who no doubt live in a modern city with a college education.
Well thanks to their education, they can understand these people more.

And exploiting by trying to ensure their survival and spreading awareness of their plight?

Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:

And exploiting by trying to ensure their survival and spreading awareness of their plight?
Brazil is run by a bunch of corrupt crooks, but I have zero trust in so-called "tribal leaders" doing the right thing as well. These "tribal leaders" (almost always privileged men) are concerned with their own power and status mostly. Give these people enough power and watch what happens. As long as people look up to various leaders to lead them, then corruption, pain and misery will be the end result.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:59 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:

I'll reserve my right to skepticism on the motives of these environmentalists and tribal leaders. Genuine altruism doesn't exist, especially in those who seek power over others.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:17 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I'll reserve my right to skepticism on the motives of these environmentalists and tribal leaders. Genuine altruism doesn't exist, especially in those who seek power over others.
People who are educated and really hold no position in power generally see what is wrong, and the very thing that they’re passionate about studying, they’d wanna preserve.

My sister is in the field and I can see how passionate she is studying animals and genetics. She talks about it constantly. I know she’s pissed about whats going on rn.

She loves what she does.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:33 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
People who are educated and really hold no position in power generally see what is wrong, and the very thing that they’re passionate about studying, they’d wanna preserve.

My sister is in the field and I can see how passionate she is studying animals and genetics. She talks about it constantly. I know she’s pissed about whats going on rn.

She loves what she does.
Humans and livestock now account for 96 percent of mammal biomass, talking about animals and genetics when everything falls apart is a form of escapism. At this rate there will be nothing to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies