Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times

Advertisements

The man that really built the Universal empire, Carl Laemmle, was a German Jewish immigrant (I am not making that up). I don't know how he would feel about seeing as he died 80 years ago on Sep. 24 (and his son died 40 years later that same day). I think he might have been more of a Democrat by today's standards, but I do wonder what his take on the Nazi salute thing would be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 01:39 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I thought that theme parks like other businesses are free to discriminate against customers if they don't want to serve them. Oh that's right, we aren't talking homosexuals...
Or blacks. Or women. It comes down to innate characteristics - people can't just change their complexion nor their orientation.

But people can in fact change their minds on being Nazis - or, failing that, they can be met with society's disapprobation when they air their garbage ideology in public. Which is what happened.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:53 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
People keep on misinterpreting what the right to free speech even IS.

You can say what you want, with very few exceptions (fire in the theater case) and not go to jail. The government in this country, any part of it, cannot come silence you or imprison you over it. You can face civil penalties for certain kinds of speech that "harm" someone else, if they win a court case, but you're still not going to jail.

And you have the right to say what you want. But that does not create an obligation on ANYONE's part to listen to you. No platform is obligated to host your words or give you access to an audience. Just because you have a right to say something, doesn't mean I am required to allow you to come stand in my living room and say it to me. No publication is required to print your speech. No website is required to allow you to post. And no business or organization is required to allow you to be offensive or disruptive, by whatever standards they choose to apply.

I mean, free speech or no, what do you think would happen if you stood in a school, a church, a store, an amusement park, or the middle of a city sidewalk and loudly repeated obscene, vulgar, or profane language with other people walking around...eventually, somebody would make you leave. Because while you might be free to run your mouth...say, in your own home?...no one else is obligated to have to hear you.

If some black teens were throwing gang signs on a ride and the park put them out, if they wanted to try and sue, well, they could try. They could claim it was discrimination. The outcome would then be up to the court. These people can feel free to do the same if they feel discriminated against. But I've got a feeling that there is a fine print TOU statement somewhere that the park reserves the right to refuse service or put people out at their own discretion and no refunds will be given, so there probably is no ground for them to stand on.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The man that really built the Universal empire, Carl Laemmle, was a German Jewish immigrant (I am not making that up). I don't know how he would feel about seeing as he died 80 years ago on Sep. 24 (and his son died 40 years later that same day). I think he might have been more of a Democrat by today's standards, but I do wonder what his take on the Nazi salute thing would be!
Looking over Universal's movie output, there seems to be a marked anti-Nazi preference. Then again, "Nazis are right bastards" was sort of the consensus until quite recently, wasn't it? Anyway, here's a Universal movie clip depicting couple of right-thinking individuals dealing with Nazis - Illinois Nazis, at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTT1qUswYL0

Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Imagine someone at the park wearing a hammer and sickle t-shirt.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Imagine someone at the park wearing a hammer and sickle t-shirt.
"Here's a scenario I made up in my head to make myself feel better."

Old 08-27-2019, 02:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
No, I don't think of Donald 24/7. However, I do think of Donald when I see the Nazi salute and the "ok" racist hand gesture. So do a lot of other people - think of Donald - when they see the Nazi salute and the "ok" racist hand gesture. Those making the gestures are big fans of Donald too.

Uh...no they don't.

That only happens in the fevered swamps of crazed liberals' minds.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
People keep on misinterpreting what the right to free speech even IS.

You can say what you want, with very few exceptions (fire in the theater case) and not go to jail. The government in this country, any part of it, cannot come silence you or imprison you over it. You can face civil penalties for certain kinds of speech that "harm" someone else, if they win a court case, but you're still not going to jail.

And you have the right to say what you want. But that does not create an obligation on ANYONE's part to listen to you. No platform is obligated to host your words or give you access to an audience. Just because you have a right to say something, doesn't mean I am required to allow you to come stand in my living room and say it to me. No publication is required to print your speech. No website is required to allow you to post. And no business or organization is required to allow you to be offensive or disruptive, by whatever standards they choose to apply.

I mean, free speech or no, what do you think would happen if you stood in a school, a church, a store, an amusement park, or the middle of a city sidewalk and loudly repeated obscene, vulgar, or profane language with other people walking around...eventually, somebody would make you leave. Because while you might be free to run your mouth...say, in your own home?...no one else is obligated to have to hear you.

If some black teens were throwing gang signs on a ride and the park put them out, if they wanted to try and sue, well, they could try. They could claim it was discrimination. The outcome would then be up to the court. These people can feel free to do the same if they feel discriminated against. But I've got a feeling that there is a fine print TOU statement somewhere that the park reserves the right to refuse service or put people out at their own discretion and no refunds will be given, so there probably is no ground for them to stand on.

Black teens "throwing gang signs on a ride" wouldn't have been banned from the park.

Give me a break.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I don't like the way we're letting a few wackos take things like the OK sign and the Betsy Ross flag away from us. We shouldn't give them that much power.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:13 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Black teens "throwing gang signs on a ride" wouldn't have been banned from the park.

Give me a break.
It's example of the racist double standard that should offend anyone more than a silly and dumb hand gesture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies