Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:32 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There are no homicides in natural law. Your statism is showing, per usual.
There is only pillage and rape, with Natural Law? The strong survive and the rest bow to the strongest master.
Murder and theft have always been met with a higher justice. Wars have been waged over them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 09:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,458,263 times
I have known families that have an elderly family member and their late life care has torn the families apart. I can't blame people for going out on their own terms.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's called euthanasia, and we basically have it every state with hospice. When you agree to Living Wills, DNR and final directives etc, you are basically agree to be euthanize when you agree to hospice or palliative care.

They just word it or make you think it's "comfort care" and agreeing to medicine to "relieve pain" and "that may shorten your life" (to whatever length the hospice finds economically best for them). Hospice can and does, place patients into medical induced comas, overdose patients with morphine and other drugs and withholds food and water. causing death and the person to be gone before their time. The death certificate might say died of lung cancer or heart disease, but actually it was death by morphine or some other drug combo overdose. I don't care what anyone says we are euthanizing the elderly in this country already.
Republicans are against euthanasia. The platform of the Republican party is that federal funds should not be used for the drugs that cause the destruction of human life, and there should be a restoration of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s ban on the use of controlled substances for physician assisted suicide

Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Republicans are against euthanasia. The platform of the Republican party is that federal funds should not be used for the drugs that cause the destruction of human life, and there should be a restoration of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s ban on the use of controlled substances for physician assisted suicide
So as usual, the official Republican platform is that you can't do something sensible because of reasons that only make sense to the fundamentally religious. (Obviously, many individual Republicans have more sense.)

Now I'm fine with the government drawing some legal lines and erecting a legal hoop or two here. The man in this story was in full control right to the end, and I wholeheartedly admire his actions and his attitude.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So as usual, the official Republican platform is that you can't do something sensible because of reasons that only make sense to the fundamentally religious. (Obviously, many individual Republicans have more sense.)

Now I'm fine with the government drawing some legal lines and erecting a legal hoop or two here. The man in this story was in full control right to the end, and I wholeheartedly admire his actions and his attitude.
What is sensible about drugging an elderly person into unconsciousness and death? That's not natural death, but euthanasia. Hospice should be at least honest and tell patients the truth, they're going to be drugged unconscious and drugged until cardiac arrest.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
What is sensible about drugging an elderly person into unconsciousness and death? That's not natural death, but euthanasia. Hospice should be at least honest and tell patients the truth, they're going to be drugged unconscious and drugged until cardiac arrest.
I wasn't talking about drugging a person without their knowledge or against their wishes. I'm not sure how you got that impression, but oh well.

As for hospice care, AFAIK all hospitals/nursing homes/hospices nowadays require an advance directive, in which the patient specifies exactly what they wish to be done or not done in case end-of-life care becomes an issue. And an honest institution will follow those directions to the letter. In the use of hospice centers especially, I doubt that any patients admitted to one are at all confused about why they are in a hospice as opposed to a regular hospital.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about drugging a person without their knowledge or against their wishes. I'm not sure how you got that impression, but oh well.
That's what hospice does. They drug the person unconscious and continue to drug the unconscious person until death if hospice is in a hurry and whatever financially is best for them.

Quote:
As for hospice care, I think that all hospitals/nursing homes/hospices nowadays require an advance directive, in which the patient specifies exactly what they wish to be done or not done in case end-of-life care becomes an issue. And an honest institution will follow those directions to the letter.
Yeah you or someone acting as your power of attorney signs "I agree to be treated with drugs that may shorten my life", and there you go, the drugs make the patient incoherent, unconscious and cause death.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
that's what hospice does.

Yeah you or someone acting as your power of attorney signs "I agree to be treated with drugs that may shorten my life", and there you go, the drugs make the patient incoherent, unconscious and cause death.
Clearly, you literally don't know what you are talking about. No advance directive that I have ever seen reads anything like what you are saying.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Clearly, you literally don't know what you are talking about. No advance directive that I have ever seen reads anything like what you are saying.
Clearly I do know what I'm talking about. It is in the wording in forms I've seen hospice use. The terms are generic like the examples I gave. And hospice does frequently operate like I explained. They will insist and badger the patient to let them administer morphine and other drugs and once the patient says ok then the patient isn't long for this world. It is essentially an euthanasia program in practice. I don't care what anyone claims.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Clearly I do know what I'm talking about. It is in the wording in forms I've seen hospice use. The terms are generic like the examples I gave. And hospice does frequently operate like I explained. They will insist and badger the patient to let them administer morphine and other drugs and once the patient says ok then the patient isn't long for this world. It is essentially an euthanasia program in practice. I don't care what anyone claims.
And my experience with hospice care for my mother in a Roman Catholic hospital was literally like nothing you have claimed. They never badgered either her or us to do anything contrary to her directive. Neither the doctor nor the hospital took any step without consulting us. Nor did they object to her wish to refuse artificial ventilation and food, which is what I worried they'd do. (She was Protestant, not Catholic.)

Some years before her death, we had sat down with her, and interviewed her regarding end-of-life desires. (Physician-assisted suicide was never an option for her due to her religion, regardless of whether state law allowed it or not.) She was still healthy, but she was over 80. Among other things, we went over a standard advanced directive form with her, line by line. She had always been very clear throughout her life that she had no wish to have a long, drawn-out death, but of course, we needed to know the details of exactly what that meant to her. We asked her each question more than once, worded differently, to make sure we fully understood. And we recorded the whole conversation, in case anyone ever had any question.

So either you do not know what a standard advance directive form actually contains, or you put your relative in the care of a sub-standard institution. I can think of no other reason for your assertions.

BTW, I was a nurse once, and one of my sisters was a nurse her entire adult life. So we had both seen many advanced directives and participated in caring for dying people according to the terms of their directives. It simply doesn't work the way you think it does.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-27-2019 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies