Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 06:03 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Even in the US where this type of political correctness isn’t as pervasive governmentally there’s been a softer coup in the private sector. The left has totally taken over corporate HR departments. I work in sales and on occasion teach sales training. I recently had a “discussion” with HR because I instructed a class that when talking to a husband and wife to focus more on the wife as they are typically the ultimate decision maker. Seems totally asinine that I can’t even teach proper sales techniques anymore, it’s a self inflicted wound. My company also has a diversity department within HR that essentially acts as an internal left wing political arm that regularly pressures decision makers on who to hire, advertise with, sponsor, donate to and who not to. Marketing was recently pressured by HR to remove all radio advertisements even though they were our most successful advertisements. I feel like this all puts as at a disadvantage to companies who do not have these internal activists.
Welcome to corporate America. And i remember a time when the HR person only helped with payroll, insurance and W2's, now they are the gestapo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Probably could use it here too.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:35 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I take it that it's this advert which shows lots of men acheiving things in the advert and then a woman sitting with a pram on a bench. I wonder how that might be deemed harmful and might reinforce negative sterotypes.

As for men, they were increasingly becoming a target for left wing advertising agencies, who potrayed the stupid white male image or toxic masculinity etc.

As for the philadelpia cheese advert, is just the tired old image of white males being bad parents even if it is done in a jocular manner.

Advertisers now portray men the way they portrayed women in the 1950s: as either dumb or pretty - The Telegraph

What is the definition of toxic masculinity and who defines it? Don’t you see the slippery slope? I expected you to be against this stuff based on prior posts.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, however in that context it looked as if the men were the acheivers and the woman was an under acheiver sitting on a park bench with a baby.

As for VW they have a history of banned adverts, and most of them were justified bans. Whilst Philadelpia Cheese used to be sold using a rather dim witted blonde who had the catch phrase 'lovely' in a rather bimbo type acceny. Have things gone too far, possible, however I think the virtual signalling and the advertising agencies attacks on white males was just as much part of the problem as female gender sterotypes.

A couple of VW's previously banned adverts in the UK.

Why would she look like an underachiever? A baby in a pram is young enough to belong to someone on family leave. And if raising a baby seems like an underachievement, then why did they make that law in the first place? Obviously it’s considered a good thing for parents to get to spend time with their babies.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What is the definition of toxic masculinity and who defines it? Don’t you see the slippery slope? I expected you to be against this stuff based on prior posts.
Gillette and other virtue signalling companies seem to be the ones defining toxic masculinity.

In terms of the adverts both received complaints, albeit not a large amount, however the ASA made a ruling and the advertisers can seek an independent review of the decisions if they so wish.

Having watched the adverts, all VW needed to do was to show a few more positive images of women, rather than a woman making sandwiches, doing the washing and passively sitting by the roadside with a pram.

As for the Philadelphia advert, it just reinforced a sterotype of men not making good carers and as not good parents.

The Adverising Standards Authority bans adverts all the time, mainly becuase they are not totally truthful or have unsuitable scenes in them. Ford had a few banned a couple of years ago, as they feautured a car bashhng a pigeon and the sunroof injuring a cat.

KFC have also had adverts banned, one with people talking with their mouths full received a record number of complaints at the time.

In terms of gender sterotypes I agree it's a more controversial area, however advertising agencies have been dumbing down white males for a while now and the recent gillette advertising campaign and other virtue signalling advertising campaigns have demonstrated the need for some standards to be enforced, and advertising agencies being told to knock it off.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Doesn't it make sense ? Absolutely not. Just look at the school shootings, for instance. Why now in the last 20 years are we seeing an increase ? Why are we seeing an uptick in workplace violence ? Why more depression in young adults ? As a whole violence is on a downward swing, except for these types. Obviously something changed for the worst.
The internet.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Just quickly read through his wiki. I'll going to listen to one of his TED talks now. Thanks for the heads up !
Quote:
Listening to him on a Joe Rogan podcast. He mentioned a term my wife just recently heard from a friend of hers 20 something daughter. FOMO. When my wife told me it ,I was like what heck does that mean..."fear of missing out" ... I was like, fear of missing out on what ?

Just the little I've heard so far, this guy is definitely spot on !
Glad you're enjoying it. I think everyone needs to read his works and listen to his talks.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:28 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Glad you're enjoying it. I think everyone needs to read his works and listen to his talks.
Again, thanks. And I agree.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:13 AM

514 posts, read 470,958 times
Quote:
I don't think anyones triggered, and the ASA just wants some balance rather than negatve sterotypes.

The VW advert is about acheivement to this end it show's men on space station and a disabled male athlete both acheiving, in terms of the woman it shows her making sandwiches, putting washing in to a washing machine and then sitting by the side of the road on a bench whilst the VW car drives by.

Perhaps the woman can make some more sandwiches for those high acheiving men.

Sorry but VW deserved to get this tripe thrown back at them and the Phildelphia advert is just as woeful.

Why is bringing a new life into the world or stewardship of the next generation any less of an achievement than jumping a few inches further into a pit of sand than another person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies