Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:48 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They were speaking to King George and the British royalty about independence. That the Patriots were equal to nobility because there is no nobility. You have to put things into context. They weren't saying they believed in disparate impact theory for instance.
Exactly. And any notion of whites being better than blacks or heterosexuals better than homosexuals or any other such nonsense follows the same line of reasoning. Includes religion as well as up until you start to seriously question for yourself, you're likely just the religion of your parents. If any attribute you gained simply from birth made you better than anyone else you're supporting the logic of the monarchy/nobility.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Then you know how much of the Quran was taken from the Old Testament.

Bazinga.

I was just about to ask "Have you read the Old Testament?".

Old 08-29-2019, 11:49 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I don't favor any groups over other groups. I take each issue or situation on a case by case basis, and look at is individuals, not groups.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2019, 11:49 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
What do you mean? White Protestants don't believe in freedom and equality for all?
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they believed there was no nobility and believed in forming a republic free from Britain.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they believed there was no nobility and believed in forming a republic free from Britain.
Okay, but the principle is that we are all equal, the protections of the Bill of Rights apply equally to all of us. The social changes affirm that.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:55 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Okay, but the principle is that we are all equal, the protections of the Bill of Rights apply equally to all of us. The social changes affirm that.
The Bill of Rights was created to restrain federal government. You are arguing that it was created to give the federal government power to make everyone "equal". And who argues the Bill of Rights doesn't apply equally? It's liberals who want to take away free speech and the right to bear arms mostly from white conservatives.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The title of this thread is, I hope, self-explanatory, and I hope that someone who does support Muslims over Jews will educate me. As an agnostic who was raised Protestant, I have no "skin in the game", and I just want to be educated about this.

From what I have both read and observed, it seems to me that the great majority of American Jews, at least, just want to live their lives in peace; and I don't know of any recent terrorist acts by a Jewish group committed here in the U.S. From what I have learned, there was a group, the JDL (Jewish Defense League) that operated decades ago, but according to the following link (quote, my italics), "Most terrorism watch groups classify the group as inactive. The JDL's website states that it rejects terrorism. [snip] According to the Anti-Defamation League, the JDL consists only of "thugs and hooligans.". [end quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Defense_League

Now, although I know that many Muslims are non-violent, compare the list of Islamic terrorist attacks to the article on Jewish terrorist attacks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rorist_attacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish...ious_terrorism

Now I do understand that there are many religious bigots in this country and the rest of the world, too, but I am definitely not interested in reading any anti-Jew or anti-Muslim rants. Reading the garbage of neo-Nazis, for example, absolutely disgusts me. And I hope that the Mods will not hesitate to delete any such posts.

So, in short, I just do not understand why any non-Muslim American would support Muslims over Jews, and I would greatly appreciate an explanation. Thank you.
As long as they aren't trying to push their religious beliefs on others, I don't really care what religion people are. I was not aware one religion is 'valued' over another.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:00 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

So, in short, I just do not understand why any non-Muslim American would support Muslims over Jews, and I would greatly appreciate an explanation. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What, to you, represents "supporting Muslims over Jews"? An example or two might help you get answers.
I agree with hooligan, examples would be greatly appreciated.

If we are talking about Israel or Palestine, then I feel both sides can provide good arguments to why this piece of land is theirs by right. You cannot go into who’s responsible for the conflict - both sides will provide countless examples of the atrocities inflicted on them by the other side.

Being Pro Israeli doesn't have to mean being anti Palestinian.

And vice versa - being pro Palestinian doesn't have to mean being anti Israeli.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
The Bill of Rights was created to restrain federal government. You are arguing that it was created to give the federal government power to make everyone "equal". And who argues the Bill of Rights doesn't apply equally? It's liberals who want to take away free speech and the right to bear arms mostly from white conservatives.
No, I am not arguing that the federal government should "make" everyone equal. I'm arguing that the federal government is obligated to treat everyone equally. Because that is the promise of the Bill of Rights. That under the law, we are all equals. The social changes affirm that. Liberals do not want to take away free speech or the right to bear arms "mostly from white conservatives". That's your fantasy, not reality.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:08 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
I do my best not to lump all Muslims as being terrorists but Ilhan Omar is a bad representative of the culture. She is a Muslim Refugee in congress post 9/11, that alone should say enough of how accepting and diverse our country is. That's the equivalent of going to the Middle East and mocking Mohamed with your feet on a table showing the sole of your shoe.

Respect the culture and hardships of the country you are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies