Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 04:07 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Yes, and if a boy decided to grab a girl over her revealing outfit, they'd be suspended too. What's your point? My point is the school bans certain clothes - from profane, or polarizing, or sexual - so these kind of incidents don't lead to assault or sexual assault. They don't just say "our students need to learn to control themselves".
*sigh*

We are supposed to be preparing these kids for the real world. Now if you think, that in the real world, the reason a woman should choose her attire is so that "men won't have thoughts" lest we be assaulted then that really says a lot about you. I can tell you that is not the reality I walk around in, nor is it the rationale behind my clothing decisions. Not once in my life have I toned down the sexiness of what I was inclined to wear because I was afraid some male might assault me because of it. And you should see a certain museum display of the clothing worn by rape victims at the time of their assault. You really should.

But if I wore an inappropriate item of clothing, lets say it is too revealing or something, to work, and I was spoken to about it, my boss or HR guy would not say, "You know, the reason we have these rules, you must understand, is because we cannot expect the men to control themselves. If some man here were to assault you because you showed your shoulder and tempted him, then we'd have to deal with that! Who needs those kinds of incidents, huh? So much better if you just cover up those juicy shoulders of yours, ok?"

Of course no civilized human being in an office environment would speak to a woman in such a way. It would be simply, "We do not believe that this is professional attire in the workplace. It is not appropriate. We have to ask that you cover up or go change." There would be no implied lurking threat of sexual assault, or even "distraction" style leering, behind that--only a matter of professionalism, and dress code. Which companies are quite free to write up as they please.

Or hey maybe there is an unspoken threat! And, as folks are claiming, implying that women are safe from out of control rape monsters just lurking inside the souls of every male around us, is silly PC propaganda, foolishness in the extreme, and dishonest to boot! What do you think, are you secretly a barely-harnessed rapist waiting for the merest excuse of temptation to pounce? A tank top strap just an inch too narrow? I don't think you are. I mean, I really hope not. I hope you don't think that little of the men around you, I certainly don't. I give them far more credit than that.

And I sure as hell am raising boys who deserve more credit than that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstien View Post
That the 9 year old girls tank top was revealing, polarizing or sexual...is just your opinion...yes just an opinion.
My opinion nor your opinion matters here, the school's opinion matters and they made it known.

Quote:
There is nothing rational about viewing a Nazi swastika and tank top in the same manner.
The concept is the same. Both can be distracting and/or offensive to others and the school tries to regulate them as a result.

There is nothing in nature that says a Nazi swastika is inherently more offensive than a tank top. That's all social conditioning and purely subjective. And also, immaterial to my point. Try and understand analogies for a change, abstract thinking is key.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*sigh*

We are supposed to be preparing these kids for the real world. Now if you think, that in the real world, the reason a woman should choose her attire is so that "men won't have thoughts" lest we be assaulted then that really says a lot about you.
First of all, school is about providing a kid a safe space to learn academics. Everything you just said about revealing clothing on females can be applied for profane symbols on clothing as well. Everything.

It seems you have an issue with them stating that boys will find it distracting. I don't see why you have an issue because this is why it's banned. Do you think it's better to tell children something is against the rules without providing context or explanation? Does that better prepare them for the real world?

You seem to have something against men because you can't stand that the woman (girl in this case) needed to consider male opinion. That irks you. Not that she couldn't wear a tank top, but that it was banned due to boys finding it uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, if your coworkers were talking suggestively about random women in your workplace - you would have no problem with them be reprimanded because they made the women in the office uncomfortable with their banter.

It's all double standards and male hating with you.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
First of all, school is about providing a kid a safe space to learn academics. Everything you just said about revealing clothing on females can be applied for profane symbols on clothing as well. Everything.

It seems you have an issue with them stating that boys will find it distracting. I don't see why you have an issue because this is why it's banned. Do you think it's better to tell children something is against the rules without providing context or explanation? Does that better prepare them for the real world?

You seem to have something against men because you can't stand that the woman (girl in this case) needed to consider male opinion. That irks you. Not that she couldn't wear a tank top, but that it was banned due to boys finding it uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, if your coworkers were talking suggestively about random women in your workplace - you would have no problem they be reprimanded because they made the women in the office uncomfortable with their banter.

Exactly. I can't believe that people would rather a politically correct statement over the truth of why we have these policies in place

Old 08-28-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Nah closed mined school board opinions need to be challenged and tossed to the curb where they belong.
This is about the most illogical and irrational thinking I've ever come across.
Don't pretend to be open minded when you can't even seem to process abstract analogies and think the Swastika being evil is some universal (rather than subjective, social) rule.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:46 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:

Meanwhile, if your coworkers were talking suggestively about random women in your workplace - you would have no problem they be reprimanded because they made the women in the office uncomfortable with their banter.

Double standards?

I have an issue with women being targeted as THE PROBLEM when males can't control inappropriate expressions of sexuality, yes. That is on them. I don't hate men in the slightest, but I expect better from them, because I know they are capable of it.

If anyone wore anything inappropriate to work, they should be asked to leave because they are violating the dress code with regard to what is considered PROFESSIONAL or not. Not because it's making their colleagues wish to assault them.

If anyone is saying inappropriate sexual comments in the workplace that makes anyone uncomfortable, they should be reprimanded because it's clearly and explicitly spelled out in the employee handbook that this is against policy. In fact I ratted out a woman for a comment she made to a guy in a breakroom that was unbelievable, and she was reprimanded.

But you keep thinking whatever you like, scooter. Argue to the open air, I leave the room to you. I'm off for the day.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:

Rules should have GOOD reasons.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Double standards?

I have an issue with women being targeted as THE PROBLEM when males can't control inappropriate expressions of sexuality, yes. That is on them. I don't hate men in the slightest, but I expect better from them, because I know they are capable of it.

If anyone wore anything inappropriate to work, they should be asked to leave because they are violating the dress code with regard to what is considered PROFESSIONAL or not. Not because it's making their colleagues wish to assault them.

If anyone is saying inappropriate sexual comments in the workplace that makes anyone uncomfortable, they should be reprimanded because it's clearly and explicitly spelled out in the employee handbook that this is against policy. In fact I ratted out a woman for a comment she made to a guy in a breakroom that was unbelievable, and she was reprimanded.

But you keep thinking whatever you like, scooter. Argue to the open air, I leave the room to you. I'm off for the day.
You are really not getting it, huh? It's not about men that cannot control themselves. 99.9999 of us can control our selves. It's about consideration of others. A young and attracting female with revealing clothes is a distraction. So instead of concentrating in math at school or at sales plan at work, men will think about those revealed legs and cleavage. Accept it as a fact, that how men are wired. So one of the reasons for professional dress code is to remove this obstacle. And instead of roaming with this "women power" hard-headed idea, feminists should accept the other and be considerable.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:59 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
It's clear who has the open mind here and it's not the one claiming that a nine-year olds tank was revealing, polarizing or sexual.

If you think this nine-year old wearing this tank top is revealing, polarizing or sexual then you've got one of the most narrow views of reality that I've ever come across.
agreed!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:08 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
You are really not getting it, huh? It's not about men that cannot control themselves. 99.9999 of us can control our selves. It's about consideration of others. A young and attracting female with revealing clothes is a distraction. So instead of concentrating in math at school or at sales plan at work, men will think about those revealed legs and cleavage. Accept it as a fact, that how men are wired. So one of the reasons for professional dress code is to remove this obstacle. And instead of roaming with this "women power" hard-headed idea, feminists should accept the other and be considerable.
No, the purpose of a professional dress code is to present a professional appearance at work in line with the company ethos not to remove women as a distraction in the workplace. If that was the reason, company dress codes for men wouldn’t exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies