Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 10:57 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You may have a good point, but that would go to how these boys are being raised at home. In the meanwhile, what is the school supposed to do? Allow a major distraction to continue when there's an easy fix to it

Also, fundamentally, I'm not sure I disagree with the reasoning. If an outfit is inappropriate and reveals body parts that should remain private in a school setting, it may very well be perfectly reasonable for people to be distracted by it.
You may as well tell kids to stop dressing like nerds to avoid the wrath of bullies because the bullies aren't raised well at home.

Or tell them to give the bully their lunch money without complaint.

Accommodating bullies and misbehavior is definitely what kids should be taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
All this nonsense could be stopped by requiring a uniform or dress code.
I have said that for years

Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
You may have a good point, but that would go to how these boys are being raised at home. In the meanwhile, what is the school supposed to do? Allow a major distraction to continue when there's an easy fix to it

Also, fundamentally, I'm not sure I disagree with the reasoning. If an outfit is inappropriate and reveals body parts that should remain private in a school setting, it may very well be perfectly reasonable for people to be distracted by it. The same would (or should) go for boys who wore something similar.

Kids get distracted by all kinds of things including windows looking outside. Should we ban windows in classrooms too?

I don't personally care whether tank tops are allowed - that's up to the school as long as it's enforced equally across gender lines. I'm not seeing any "body parts that should remain private". Are you seriously implying shoulders are private body parts?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
It is definitely an issue that burns my hide. My daughter's clothing and body are not responsible for boys' attention or lack thereof in school.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Callahan Intermediate School is a highly rated, public school located in Callahan, FL.
https://www.niche.com/k12/callahan-i...l-callahan-fl/

You down with EIC?

Ya, you know me!

Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Kids get distracted by all kinds of things including windows looking outside. Should we ban windows in classrooms too?

I don't personally care whether tank tops are allowed - that's up to the school - but I'm not seeing any "body parts that should remain private".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You may as well tell kids to stop dressing like nerds to avoid the wrath of bullies because the bullies aren't raised well at home.

Or tell them to give the bully their lunch money without complaint.

Accommodating bullies and misbehavior is definitely what kids should be taught.
In our society there are certain norms and expectations. There is not and never has been an expectation that school windows be sealed (with a curtain or whatever) because a few may be distracted by looking outside as an example. Likewise, bullying behavior has always been frowned upon and we've never asked or expected a person to change their own otherwise normal and nonimposing behavior to suit bullies.

On the other hand, we have long expected certain attire to be worn (or not worn) in school settings (this extends to non school settings, too, but that is changing). The move by the school conforms to our societal norms and expectations; its the push back by some on the school's request that run contrary to the norms, IMO.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:

Also, fundamentally, I'm not sure I disagree with the reasoning. If an outfit is inappropriate and reveals body parts that should remain private in a school setting, it may very well be perfectly reasonable for people to be distracted by it. The same would (or should) go for boys who wore something similar.
If the school believes tank tops are “distracting”, they should ban tank tops for all students via the dress code. That’s an appropriate reaction while their message that girls who wear them are to blame for distracting boys is not.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If the school believes tank tops are “distracting”, they should ban tank tops for all students. That’s an appropriate reaction while their message that girls who wear them are to blame for distracting boys is not.
I agree. Perhaps, they do, though, already

And if they do ban them for all students (or students past a certain age), then I still have no problem with the explanation as the explanation could be used for boys wearing tank tops, too.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Yes, but in our society there are certain norms and expectations.
Yes, and school is a good time for kids to learn self control is their responsibility. The expectation is that they alone are responsible for their actions - what someone else does (or wears) isn't an excuse.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:18 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
In our society there are certain norms and expectations. There is not and never has been an expectation that school windows be sealed (with a curtain or whatever) because a few may be distracted by looking outside as an example. Likewise, bullying behavior has always been frowned upon and we've never asked or expected a person to change their own otherwise normal and nonimposing behavior to suit bullies.

On the other hand, we have long expected certain attire to be worn (or not worn) in school settings (this extends to non school settings, too, but that is changing). The move by the school conforms to our societal norms and expectations; its the push back by some on the school's request that run contrary to the norms, IMO.
So it’s your claim that the school blaming a girl’s attire for distracting boys is a societal norm and expectation? And that the school was just confirming to that norm by requesting she not wear tank tops?

No one is arguing that tank tops should have to be allowed by the school. Ban them. For girls and boys if you consider them distracting, but STOP blaming girls attire for boys distracted behavior. If that a societal norm, it’s one we can do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies