Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If they are accurately reporting their household size and income, what is the problem? Are you familiar with the current Medicaid thresholds? I am. A household of 10 can be bringing in $72,133 and still be eligible for Medicaid. Each person over that needs another $6,100 in income to retain eligibility. I've processed NYSOH applications for households that size, with a $70,000 income, and yes, they qualify for Medicaid.

https://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/...%20English.pdf
The welfare fraud cases in Lakeland, NJ were more over the top. Households with net worths in excess of $1 million. Households lying about income. Households laundering their income.

One of the fraudsters is a rabbi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I thought fetuses were a woman's body therefore men have nothing to do with it?

I don't think women should get welfare for any child conceived while receiving welfare.
Punish the offspring for the irresponsible behaviors of their bio parents?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Nothing new. Even without welfare, birth rates for the poor are always higher than for the middle class and wealthy.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I'm all for it. The biggest problem with welfare is that male is given the opportunity to procreate with as many females as possible, and they will continue doing so as long as the door is left open.
It ain't the door that we worry about!
:-)

I guess if I really had to be King or The Lord and fix this (IF it was truly deemed to be a problem...I'd have to study that for years as I don't take "common knowledge as being common"), I'd do something like this:

People are gonna jump on me for this one!

Ok, so we invest a couple billion in an instant on/off snip precedure - maybe a laser activated or de-activated, maybe a "value" implant (small chip), etc.

EVERY male who cannot somehow get bonded or insured for "damages done" (non-payment of support, etc.) gets the snip after puberty, but only after a couple samples of their sperm are collected and frozen. This is "insurance"...and, in fact, may be the preferred method in the future of reproduction.

Now everyone goes out and has fun.

Should said male wish to have bio children, contracts are signed (marriage is one such contract, so there is precedent) and the preserved sperm can be used OR the procedure can be reversed temporarily.

Note that young sperm has better babies, so even said male older than 35 would have benefits by using the frozen. There is quite a bit of evidence showing that many problems may be related to older sperm (older aged men).....

Women, of course, have some similar options but the fact is that those BC options are pretty heavy drugs or surgery.

Of course, none of this will ever happen and I am not convinced the USA is over-populated. What I am convinced of is that each of us in the USA takes up too much "room" and we need to make our society more efficient and productive to forge ahead with good results.

That's progressive, I guess.

Along with all of this is REAL education. I wept when GWB and his henchmen said that abstinence works and that was all they were going to fund.

I don't think the US Constitution establishes the Right to Reproduce to any level.....we already regulate many things that people themselves are too irresponsible to self-regulate.

Obviously this is complete fantasy (above)...but the real fact is that we won't solve new problems using old methods. Sex for recreation by ALL the masses is a relatively new thing (at this level)....and we need to recognize it for what it is is...fun, not reproduction.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The welfare fraud cases in Lakeland, NJ were more over the top. Households with net worths in excess of $1 million. Households lying about income. Households laundering their income.

One of the fraudsters is a rabbi.
And many - perhaps most - very wealthy people cheat on their taxes.

Many poor and middle class people do.

It's fair to say that that 10's of Millions of Americans don't honor the "honor system". It's one of the big problems with our society. You don't have to pay your way....

AND, when you look around (need I mention the POTUS, Manafort, Cohen, etc.?) you see that it's fine and dandy for people to take money because...its money! Why should the regular millionaire suffer while the people with 10's of 100's of million take advantage of all of us??

The rot does start at the top in this case...but it extends all the way through the body politic. I can understand the low wage worker who takes cash under-the-table because that is the difference between barely making it or not.

What I cannot understand is someone like Koch or the Waltons that mount massive campaigns that convince the government to go in deep debt so they can be worth 50 Billion as opposed to 40. That makes no sense in any world view with morality in it...IMHO.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Yes a mother's irresponsible behaviors punish her offspring. But if we don't give her more welfare likely she won't have more offspring.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Truth be told, this is what some people want. I don't think it's the right thing to do. And I don't think it would work. The poor have had higher birth rates than middle class and wealthy people before any kind of welfare state existed. Some women have a bunch of kids because they can. There are many cases where they have a kid hoping said kid will become an athlete and take care of them. Derrick Rose was interviewed after getting a contract with the Chicago Bulls. The way he spoke about his mother, he felt like he had to be the man and take care of things because she didn't have a man to do those things. This is not to say that this mother had him hoping he would become an athlete. However, it does make me wonder about those who have children for the purpose of living off of them.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Truth be told, this is what some people want. I don't think it's the right thing to do. And I don't think it would work. The poor have had higher birth rates than middle class and wealthy people before any kind of welfare state existed. Some women have a bunch of kids because they can. There are many cases where they have a kid hoping said kid will become an athlete and take care of them. Derrick Rose was interviewed after getting a contract with the Chicago Bulls. The way he spoke about his mother, he felt like he had to be the man and take care of things because she didn't have a man to do those things. This is not to say that this mother had him hoping he would become an athlete. However, it does make me wonder about those who have children for the purpose of living off of them.
Remember, historically people ALL had children for the reasons of living off of them! This is still the case in MANY places in the world.

So that is programmed deep into our DNA. Also, it's a method of survival. Both your people and mine (Holocaust survivors) had children to prove our enemies wrong and keep the lines going. They all may have been poor...or even enslaved, but they knew (if not intellectually, by instinct) that things might change someday.

The idea of having the money and stability first and then having kids....that's relatively new, isn't it? People just had kinds because that is what you did to make sure everyone in your family and tribe would always have some healthy ones to take care of others.

My take is that we have now evolved quite far from anything natural and we have to change rules and norms taking that into account. Some things have NOT changed. In our family the very poor or aged or disabled are taken care of (to whatever degree) by those who are not.

We don't have a big family at this point, tho....our italian side did reproduce heavily at one time, but between disease, poverty, war, coal mining, etc. they were whittled down so that they are not more extensive than my (2-3 children average) Russian/Jewish side.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! For the most part poverty begets poverty. It becomes a way of life for many families like that for generations. Something needs to be done about women giving birth to so many kids that they can't care for. Maybe after two kids they should be offered sterilization in exchange for help for those two. Not ideal but what else should we do?
Florida Mom of 17 Kids; Demands once again "Somebody Needs to Pay"

(Notice the 'once again' from the video title. The last time she demanded this, she had 15 kids )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0O_BW8EMMA

Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quick! Make more liberals!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies