Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 09:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Medicare for all would cover more than what Medicare currently does. Of course we can do what the rest of the developed world figured out a century ago.

oh, and how do you know this...did Uncle Bernie tell you so

Medicare 4 all is medicare, just not for seniors, but for all...otherwise they would not call it medicare...it might be called Medicaid for all

medicare does not cover everything...1000's of denials of service "sorry medicare does not cover that"...such as nursing homes (nearly a trillion dollar cost annually as it is )

medicare does not cover vertebrae disc replacement.....10's of millions with back pain yet medicare wont cover it

medicare right now costs (in the budget) 800 billion to cover 45 million people...that works out to 17k per person (yes that is the more costly seniors, yet Medicare denies service for a lot of things)

17k per person and to cover 330 million people...5.6 trillion ANNUALLY...and that is for the 80/20 coverage that medicare currently gives..with all its denials....

if M4A had higher coverage, LIKE YOU SAY...the cost to cover all 330 million people could easily be well over 7 trillion annually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Could be one of those average vs median things.

A typical family of 4 is $28K because typical families of 4 don't have the high medical risks and costs in all 4 of their members.

For instance the 2 kids may be very low in annual HC costs. 2 healthy adults not so much either.

My wife has cost over $5M since 1/1/17. Not many families have to endure that!
1 in 5 kids today ha dyslexia....

of my 4 kids at home...all 4 have learning disabilities...that the school likes to say "that is not scholastic, its medical"

Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,934,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh, and how do you know this...did Uncle Bernie tell you so

Medicare 4 all is medicare, just not for seniors, but for all...otherwise they would not call it medicare...it might be called Medicaid for all

medicare does not cover everything...1000's of denials of service "sorry medicare does not cover that"...such as nursing homes (nearly a trillion dollar cost annually as it is )

medicare does not cover vertebrae disc replacement.....10's of millions with back pain yet medicare wont cover it

medicare right now costs (in the budget) 800 billion to cover 45 million people...that works out to 17k per person (yes that is the more costly seniors, yet Medicare denies service for a lot of things)

17k per person and to cover 330 million people...5.6 trillion ANNUALLY...and that is for the 80/20 coverage that medicare currently gives..with all its denials....

if M4A had higher coverage, LIKE YOU SAY...the cost to cover all 330 million people could easily be well over 7 trillion annually
Keep believing we are so incompetent that a national health care system would cost 4 times as much as any other developed country's health care system. Only the corrupt and the deluded believe that.

Funny how some right wingers believe America can do amazing things, except when it comes to actually providing health care for the people. Then suddenly, the talking point is that its impossible and cant be done.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM

18,794 posts, read 8,420,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What it really comes down to is many/most people simply do not believe that it will cost them less and get them more. What has government ever done that resulted in that? It's a huge gamble and pretty much irreversible since once we wipe out the current healthcare/insurance architecture it would be extremely difficult to restore it.
More than likely we will again move forward towards UHC, but through incrementalism.

Simply lowering Medicare to age 50-55 would be very easy to do and would provide the middle class with the largest break.

Not only would a good portion of our older middle class then enjoy cheap Medicare, much of the age risk would be taken off of the bulk of private HC insurance, lowering their risks and premiums.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,443,501 times
Quote:
Up to $250 000 per year is middle class.
Bottom range? and source if you have one.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:32 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,934,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Bottom range? and source if you have one.
Sanders proposes that income between $132 900 and $250 000 not be subject to any SS payroll taxes, so thats a good indicator of what he believes is middle class, but above $250k it will kick in under the Sanders' SS strengthening legislation.

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsr...ocial-security

Bottom range is very different from today as the public safety net would be greatly strengthened if Sanders gets his way and older workers in their 50s and 60s wouldnt have to fear for their life if they lost their job and insurance in a time of rampant age discrimination of older workers.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Keep believing we are so incompetent that a national health care system would cost 4 times as much as any other developed country's health care system. Only the corrupt and the deluded believe that.

Funny how some right wingers believe America can do amazing things, except when it comes to actually providing health care for the people. Then suddenly, the talking point is that its impossible and cant be done.
its not about right wing or left wing

I do believe we can do a lot of amazing things...

I do believe we are a great country

I spent nearly 30 years in the military...we do a lot of amazing things

YET... the VA is pisspoor care...we are really bad at healthcare when the government is involved...including the "payment' for said services

Old 08-30-2019, 11:15 AM

18,794 posts, read 8,420,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not about right wing or left wing

I do believe we can do a lot of amazing things...

I do believe we are a great country

I spent nearly 30 years in the military...we do a lot of amazing things

YET... the VA is pisspoor care...we are really bad at healthcare when the government is involved...including the "payment' for said services
The VA is different than Medicare/Medicaid. The VA is HC gov't owned and delivered. Medicare by and large is not. And we should want to keep any new HC expansion to mainly proceed with its delivery via the private sector.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:25 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,074,327 times
I heard that his plan will get rid of Tricare. There are lots of people who will fight that idea.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,857,425 times
My health plan costs about 26,000 with my employer paying 20,000 leaving me with 6,000 right now, Bernie needs to provide more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies