Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 09:28 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yep, I heard that martians are about to attack. Would you like to increase the current 1 trillion + military spending to perhaps 2 trillion?

Yeah, it is (paying)
An Alien invasion might require a relative $100T worth of output. And of course not just from the USA.

But how many USD's are there? How many can we commit to saving our people?

Can we make more USD's if necessary?

Are our limits in USD's or resources and productivity?

WW2 lessons come in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-All-Thou...?tag=nakorn-20

And such a course could be charted for our national HC. It is a matter of national priorities.

IMO our national HC will not be getting cheaper. IMO we will continue on an inexorable course towards more UHC. Most likely incrementally.

We will have more central admin, not less. More central price controls.

The national HC bill in 10 and 100 years will be much larger than today no matter what direction, public or private we pursue. So many more USD's will be needed as our people will not be doing without their HC, as they could do without or substitute with so many other goods and services.

Our future national HC limits will be productivity based, not USD based. The key is laying the groundwork for the future necessary HC related infrastructure. And that would be a matter of national priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:32 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
This is why I’m in favor of a federal sales tax to fund universal healthcare. That way everyone has to contribute.

I think it is the only feasible and fair way to do it.
Our future HC will be paid with taxes, premiums copays and deductibles.

But also some deficit spending, or if we get more creative, through some new central money creation program. This path may be more acceptable to our broad middle class. We might trade some inflation for a better lifestyle.

Ellen Brown - Funding Infrastructure: Why China Is Running Circles Around America ~ Mike Norman Economics

https://ellenbrown.com/2018/02/27/fu...round-america/

Old 08-31-2019, 10:30 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...lass-americans

My jaw literally dropped when I saw that amount. That's almost a thousand dollars a month.

He defends it by saying a family that pays $20,000 a year for health insurance and care would be saving money.

Well I fall into the middle class and my health insurance for my spouse and myself is like $230 a month, for excellent coverage. We spend maybe $2850 a year for total everything, rxs, etc.

So under his plan I would be forced to lose that, and pay nearly quadruple for Government run crap.
If it is anything like my employer coverage, a single person like me would likely SUBSIDIZE those with families- NO THANK YOU. If it was more equitable, I’d be more inclined to support it. It’s actually impossible since there are too many poor people in this country.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Wouldn't mind if healthcare was funded vis a Sales Tax, a flat tax rate of 15% with $15,000 exempt from being taxed, and a flat 40% business tax exempting $400,000.

Two tier healthcare system. 100% reimbursement rate for health services for tax payers and 75% reimbursement rate for non-tax payers.

Do away with patents on medical devices, equipment, and pharmaceuticals. Lessen FDA regulations.

Make health service cost transparent.

No sales tax on healthcaee services or pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-31-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-31-2019, 01:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It’s actually impossible since there are too many poor people in this country.
EGGGGaxtly. 50% of births are medicaid babies. It's not that hard to understand, though some obviously can't. I already basically support the 45% who pay no taxes, I'm not adding full blown health coverage to that.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The first year anyway...more after that

Old 08-31-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
This is why I’m in favor of a federal sales tax to fund universal healthcare. That way everyone has to contribute.

I think it is the only feasible and fair way to do it.
Wouldn't be nearly enough, I don't think. On top of sales tax already I just don't see that working.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yep, I heard that martians are about to attack. Would you like to increase the current 1 trillion + military spending to perhaps 2 trillion?

Yeah, it is (paying)
Ok, let's gut the military so we can be invaded and taken over. We have to have a strong military, it's just the way it is when you're the world's most powerful nation. We also have to take care of the entire world, which costs a lot too. That part I would be fine with axing.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What about Canadian sales taxes?

But let’s be honest here we spend more on both military and healthcare which along with old age pensions drive the budget. Let’s also be honest and state universal health care won’t save us money.
Sales tax varies by province. In BC it's 7 percent. In Washington state just south of us, it's 6.5 percent. Alberta has no sales tax, like Oregon.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-31-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 01:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
LOL. A leftist huffpost article? I'm supposed to believe that?

Canadians pay way more in taxes, how the hell do you think they pay for free healthcare for the whole population? I know Canadians, they plainly admit the taxes are high. Canadians on these boards plainly admit taxes are higher. Things also cost more there.
Taxes are a minefield when you try and compare them between the US and Canada, since each province/state is going to be different.

In general, property taxes are lower in Canada. Yes we have a GST, but it's 5 percent and not on everything.

Even if you compare two families who live in similar circumstances in either country, and one pays slightly less than the other, who in then end is better off? In Canada that family isn't paying anything extra for healthcare, except perhaps for prescriptions, but many are covered through work. I pay nothing, for example as I'm on my partners plan. Anyway, the point is that family in the US will have to pay MORE out of pocket for healthcare.

One opinion

"Finally, and this is of course totally anecdotal, but I think most Americans who have visited Canada lately would attest that it feels like a more broadly affluent place than the U.S. does. That is, the claim that most Canadians are more prosperous than most Americans is not patently unreasonable."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...nd-to-canada-s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies