Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 03:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...lass-americans

My jaw literally dropped when I saw that amount. That's almost a thousand dollars a month.

He defends it by saying a family that pays $20,000 a year for health insurance and care would be saving money.

Well I fall into the middle class and my health insurance for my spouse and myself is like $230 a month, for excellent coverage. We spend maybe $2850 a year for total everything, rxs, etc.

So under his plan I would be forced to lose that, and pay nearly quadruple for Government run crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 03:51 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

He finally released a number, but of course on a Podcast and not live on TV or anything.

My jaw literally dropped when I saw that amount. That's almost a thousand dollars a month.

He defends it by saying a family that pays $20,000 a year for health insurance and care would be saving money.

Well I fall into the middle class and my health insurance for my spouse and myself is like $230 a month, for excellent coverage. We spend maybe $2850 a year for total everything, rxs, etc.

So under his plan I would be forced to lose that, and pay nearly quadruple for Government run crap.
I think he is underestimating it. You are paying $230 a month because your employer is paying at least $800-1200 a month. $17,000 - $20,000 a year is about right. Employers footing the bill for the bulk of insurance premiums had made people blind to its real cost, as has insurance made people blind to the real cost of treatment and medications. My guess is, if we get single payer or medicaid for all, that employers will start out offering allowances as part of compensation... and then the government will get to tax it as income. No matter what, the middle and upper economic classes are going to end up forking out more money.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:11 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:

And you know how this type of thing goes.

If he says 10k he actually means 15k and it will turn out to be more like 20k.

And not many people who aren't actively sick or injured currently spend anywhere near $20,000 a year for insurance and healthcare.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:15 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:

You're paying that amount because you are receiving an employer subsidy. Some people are receiving a government "subsidy" to reduce their costs. Get this; I'm paying 850 dollars per month with a 6,500 dollar deductible as a single person.

This fall when they open the ACA exchange enrollment check how much a plan would cost you if you paid out of pocket. You will have another jaw dropping moment.

I think most people aren't concerned with health care costs because they don't pay the full amount. People covered under employer plans never see the true cost. If more people understood the true cost something would be done to fix it.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Only the free market will ever bring down healthcare costs. Let that one sink in. Anything else that is tried may be good for redistributing money, but it won't work at controlling costs.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:23 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
I pay $12,000 a year for health insurance. The question is the benefit you get from the tax. I don't agree with Sanders plans as I prefer Biden's. Since Trump's election my health insurance has continued to rise. Hopefully, when Trump is out in 2020, these costs will come down.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:

You have to consider the total cost of your health insurance, not just the part you personally pay. Just like the taxes refer to the total taxes paid by both employer and employee. If you pay $200 a month in Medicare for all taxes and the employer pays $800 a month, that's a thousand dollars a month you are paying.

Employers reduce wages in order to "pay for your healthcare". Thats true for both insurance and payroll taxes.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I pay $12,000 a year for health insurance. The question is the benefit you get from the tax. I don't agree with Sanders plans as I prefer Biden's. Since Trump's election my health insurance has continued to rise. Hopefully, when Trump is out in 2020, these costs will come down.
You do realize Trump has nothing to do with our current healthcare system in this country, right? We are still operating under Obamacare.

The whole point of this thread is that Bernie Sanders single payer healthcare plan is going to kill the middle class. Basically shifting all healthcare costs from employers to individuals.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:34 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Does that $12000 include the employer part of it?

Biden's plan will still leave many millions without health insurance and tens of millions underinsured, and will leave workers at the mercy of their employers for the health of their family. Thats a really bad spot to be in as a worker and gives great power to the employer.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:37 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'd bet his figures are spread out over all working couples.

Take away the couples who have low income and pay little taxes and I'd wager that figure is 2 to 3 times his estimate.

Throw in all the illegals who can step foot in the US and the costs will be off the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies