Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 09:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
or an Asian American of any eastern Asian or Southern/southwestern Asian descent, since those are the most institutionally discriminated against groups in the US today.
The PROOF of oppression are the conditions it creates for the oppressed. Show me a people who has endured sustained oppression and I will show you a group struggling at the bottom of that society. You can't be oppressed with few symptoms of being oppressed. I guess that is called asymptomatic oppression. People walking around oppressed while living at high standards.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:52 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The 1619 Project goes beyond "discussing history" (yes, we know slavery existed ), it seeks to establish a narrative as fact that the entirety of the United States, it's development, it's wealth, it's progress, are due to the foundation of slavery. As has been said, the project is a polemic, not a dispassionate look at history. To defend the 1619 Project as merely teaching history is disingenuous. It's bullsh!t.
Yes, it's largely BS. The odd thing is that, comparatively, slavery was just not that widespread in the US. The vast majority of slaves from Africa were actually shipped elsewhere.

Info from Emory University's "Voyages: The Transatlantic Slave Trade Database" project:

Slave Trade Routes Map (includes numbers)

Old 05-15-2020, 09:53 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Get over what? Slavery by the Egyptians? The Holocaust? The current anti Antisemitism by Progressives (Democrats) that is now considered OK by the Media? What would I need to tell Jews to get over? Are they looking for handouts to right past wrongs purely to punish? NO they are NOT.
I have to spread more around before I can rep you again, but great answer.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:53 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,443,450 times
I'm a first generation American. And one of the hardest things to do as a first generation American is to understand the concept and history of the American negro, the whitie man, and the Redman aka Native American or American Indian. Doing so is it not easy and it takes time and patience and coming across different viewpoints of these three races who participated in the nation's founding. I''m not fan of the 1619 project. Why? I did read some of the essays of Nicole Hannah Jones and watched videos related to the story. Yes I can say that if it wasn't for blacks in America, the United States won't be where it is today, and Nicole Hannah Jones is within her right to reframe history in her own light. The reason being is that the American negro has been forgotten in the oral of the American nation building. For a generation or so we used the term this nation was built my immigrants and thus the white immigrants was celebrated and not the American negro, but in fact all people should be celebrated in collectively building this nation.

Problem that I have with Hannah Nicole Jones is that she got her history all wrong. United States is founded and revolved against Britain in the name of slavery, really? Britain did not abolish slavery until the 1830s and still kept some form of cheap labor until the decline of the British Empire like indentured survitude system of East Indians in British Guiana, Fiji, South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago, and in matter of fact some parts of the British Empire some people still practiced slavery like India. Also the Caribbean places like Barbados and Jamaica gave rise to slavery in the 13 colonies in which slavery was modeled after Britain's Caribbean holdings.

The above paragraph is just one example, and other examples can be cited on the history that she got wrong and can be pointed out by historians and academics.

Where do we go from here? Hanna Nicole Jones won the Pulitzer prize for her work, and her work will be used in schools.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:02 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More handouts? They already get Affirmative Action and all kinds of welfare and other benefits because they are Black. Why do you think every government form or university application asks for RACE and ethnicity?

But yest, they want MORE. Reparations for one. To punish Whitey, and get more "FREE" STUFF.

Punish the earners and the productive in society. Often it is the Middle Income Earner that pays the most.

See above. The constant calls for REPARATIONS for something that ended 155 years ago.
All black people don’t want reparations and studies have shown women benefit from affirmative action more than blacks do.

I’m assuming you think black Harvard and Ivy League graduates are there because they are black and not because they worked hard.

My question to people like you And those who think like you is...

Why are black people all the same to you?

Why don’t black people have their own independent thoughts to you?

Old 05-15-2020, 10:04 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I'm a first generation American. And one of the hardest things to do as a first generation American is to understand the concept and history of the American negro, the whitie man, and the Redman aka Native American or American Indian. Doing so is it not easy and it takes time and patience and coming across different viewpoints of these three races who participated in the nation's founding. I''m not fan of the 1619 project. Why? I did read some of the essays of Nicole Hannah Jones and watched videos related to the story. Yes I can say that if it wasn't for blacks in America, the United States won't be where it is today, and Nicole Hannah Jones is within her right to reframe history in her own light. The reason being is that the American negro has been forgotten in the oral of the American nation building. For a generation or so we used the term this nation was built my immigrants and thus the white immigrants was celebrated and not the American negro, but in fact all people should be celebrated in collectively building this nation.

Problem that I have with Hannah Nicole Jones is that she got her history all wrong. United States is founded and revolved against Britain in the name of slavery, really? Britain did not abolish slavery until the 1830s and still kept some form of cheap labor until the decline of the British Empire like indentured survitude system of East Indians in British Guiana, Fiji, South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago, and in matter of fact some parts of the British Empire some people still practiced slavery like India. Also the Caribbean places like Barbados and Jamaica gave rise to slavery in the 13 colonies in which slavery was modeled after Britain's Caribbean holdings.

The above paragraph is just one example, and other examples can be cited on the history that she got wrong and can be pointed out by historians and academics.

Where do we go from here? Hanna Nicole Jones won the Pulitzer prize for her work, and her work will be used in schools.
But indentured servitude is not exactly slavery.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:06 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
All black people don’t want reparations and studies have shown women benefit from affirmative action more than blacks do.

I’m assuming you think black Harvard and Ivy League graduates are there because they are black and not because they worked hard.

Almost all Black (Democrat) politicians are for Reparations as are all their local, and national "Community Leaders". Many vocal Blacks on here are for Reparations. ASK THEM WHY they want it or think they are ENTITLED to get it.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:35 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:

Not all black Harvard and Ivy League grads got there because they are black. But a large percentage DID. I don’t see how anyone who is honest can deny this.

The real question is to whether it is fair to continue this. I’ve long advocated that we should switch admissions preferences to being SES-based - extra points to impoverished students, regardless of color, who despite their poorer public schools had the smarts, motivation, and discipline to pull ahead of the pack.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:43 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,443,450 times
Quote:
But indentured servitude is not exactly slavery.
What time trying to say is thet nations are built on the back of cheap labor. Slavery was not profitable and many switched over to servitude system. Slavery is not cheap and slaves must be fed, clothed and taken care for. Britain switched over to indentured system and in some areas of the British empire slavery was stilled allowed in Africa and India. What is your point on indentures servitude not the same as slavery? Or do you have a chip on your shoulder?

Old 05-15-2020, 11:05 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
I think many African Americans understand that they have choices, but that still doesn’t erase the historical legacies that went into the fabric of building this country.
Letting a historical legacy run your life is a choice. Letting a cultural bias run your life is a choice.

America has no institutional caste system, other than penalizing people from Asia. Everything else is based on choice. Every...single...thing.

Choose or don't, but blaming disconnected history for your present is silly and ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies