Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 08:53 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, there is no shortage of teachers. There is only a shortage in schools no one wants to go to.

Many, numerous districts have a waiting line of teachers. Here in Miami where I live, they hype up the shortage of teachers, yet it is next to impossible to get a position, even a substitute teaching position there are so many applicants.

Hell, seems every single industry is always crying forever there is a labor shortage.

Pay should be a local issue, as in those whoa re paying the teachers.

But should get to the heart of one of the issues, idiotic property tax system.
Sounds like Florida has no criteria for being a teacher. In my state you can't just apply and be admitted. You have to attend a four year college and another 2 at teaching college plus do internships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 08:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sounds like Florida has no criteria for being a teacher. In my state you can't just apply and be admitted. You have to attend a four year college and another 2 at teaching college plus do internships.
Lol, I have no idea where you got from my post Florida does not have criteria for being a teacher.

Even with your criteria, a person in fact applies to be a teacher, those people are called "applicants".

Old 08-31-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Lol, I have no idea where you got from my post Florida does not have criteria for being a teacher.

Even with your criteria, a person in fact applies to be a teacher, those people are called "applicants".
You just can't apply to be a teacher though without going to a 5 year college problem in my state. If any states allow just anyone to be a teacher then they are really stupid. And that's why their schools are bad.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
You just can't apply to be a teacher though without going to a 5 year college problem in my state. If any states allow just anyone to be a teacher then they are really stupid. And that's why their schools are bad.
Again, where in the world from my post do you get that from?

Where did I say anything about the criteria?

I simply stated despite the cries here in Miami-Dade of a shortage of teachers, there is a line waiting to get a position. I have no clue where you get anything regarding criteria.

The requirements;

"Public school teachers in Florida are required to obtain teacher certification before leading a classroom. In order to be eligible for certification, the Sunshine State requires all teachers to hold a bachelor’s degree and complete a state-approved teacher education program. Furthermore, candidates must complete the content examinations appropriate to the subject and grade level to be taught."

Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Again, where in the world from my post do you get that from?

Where did I say anything about the criteria?

I simply stated despite the cries here in Miami-Dade of a shortage of teachers, there is a line waiting to get a position. I have no clue where you get anything regarding criteria.

The requirements;

"Public school teachers in Florida are required to obtain teacher certification before leading a classroom. In order to be eligible for certification, the Sunshine State requires all teachers to hold a bachelor’s degree and complete a state-approved teacher education program. Furthermore, candidates must complete the content examinations appropriate to the subject and grade level to be taught."
A teaching certificate is why many states don't have qualified teachers.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Maybe better parenting? It is amazing that people blame teachers who have little control or power over the raising of children. It is pathetic to blame teachers. Why are they held in such low regard. I have more trouble with plumbers or construction workers than teachers.
Did you not read where I wrote:

Quote:
Granted, I understand that teachers are only one part of the puzzle here (you need parental involvement, student effort, etc.), but its still an interesting point.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:44 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Did you not read where I wrote:
I did read your whole post. And I disagree that teachers pay should be tied to test scores. That thoughtr process lays the entire problem at the feet of teachers. Maybe if we sent our children to camps under the control of teachers could you then hold them accountable.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Teachers have an incredible hard job and they aren't paid enough for what they do. And there is a shortage of teachers because of this. Increasing their pay is the right thing to do.
Says everybody about their job as a ____

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-31-2019 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 10:55 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
What does Harris know about teaching, education or market wages? She's been a cop/prostitute/politician her entire career.
And like every other politician, she is an expert in nothing but spending everyone elses money.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-31-2019 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 10:57 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What does Harris know about teaching, education or market wages? She's been a cop/prostitute/politician her entire career.
And lik every other politician, she is an expert in nothing but spending everyone elses money.
I guess its fair to ask what makes you an expert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies