Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:49 PM

346 posts, read 237,579 times

Advertisements

For some background: There's a guy named Alec Holowka who made a really popular game called Night in the Woods in 2017. Recently, a woman who has been very well known for lying and deceiving people named Zoe Quinn made a tweet claiming back in 2014 he sexually assaulted her:

https://wccftech.com/zoe-quinn-publi...exual-assault/

Yet even despite being just a tweet and allegations, the studio instead of looking further into it, immediately cut ties with him after the cancel culture mob started attacking him, which eventually lead to his suicide:

https://www.pcgamer.com/night-in-the...owka-has-died/

Quote:
Alec Holowka, co-founder of Night in the Woods studio Infinite Fall and a designer, programmer, and composer on the game, has died. Holowka's death was announced on Twitter by his sister, Eileen Mary Holowka, who has since locked her account. She did not specify the cause of death, but alluded to suicide, saying that Holowka had recently been supported by crisis services.

Holowka had been "battling mood and personality disorders" throughout his life, said his sister. She also made reference to recent allegations of past emotional and physical abuse by Holowka in her statement.
Zoe Quinn immediately deleted her twitter account after it was announced he committed suicide. Now we can argue whether her allegations were true or not, but regardless, isn't it sad how all one, especially a woman, has to do is make comments and without any actual investigations get a huge hate mob harassing and doxxing someone and the like? I think the fact she immediately deleted her twitter speaks volumes; either what she said didn't happen, or she's greatly exaggerating.

But regardless, I feel anyone who intentionally starts something knowing full well just how bad it will be that ends in someone's death should be culpable. This lying whining ***** knew she could just make one tweet and everyone that follows her would be on her side and harass him, now he commits suicide, she deletes her twitter and acts as if nothing happens. Hope the ***** is happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Media should be held accountable for things. The online publications that dogpile on everyone and every cause need to be reigned in.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:12 AM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I know nothing about the circumstances of this case. But unfortunaly I have more family memobers nad friend that have committed suicide than anybody else I know. And from those I would say that it is not a sinlgle circumstance thet causes someone to take this ectreme step. It is an intense tragedy that is hard to ecplain to anyone who hasn't had someone close to him/her do it.

If there was online bullying that contributed to this particular suice I condemn it....it is cowardice. But I do take iaaue with one things you said...."isn't it sad how all one, especially a woman, has to do is make comments . . . . ". Why "especially a woman? I'm not an easiy triggered snowflake, etc., but I really wondered st this. If a comment contributed to s tragedy of this magnitude, why dpes the gender of the person factor into it?

Old 09-01-2019, 01:04 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
For some background: There's a guy named Alec Holowka who made a really popular game called Night in the Woods in 2017. Recently, a woman who has been very well known for lying and deceiving people named Zoe Quinn made a tweet claiming back in 2014 he sexually assaulted her:

Yet even despite being just a tweet and allegations, the studio instead of looking further into it, immediately cut ties with him after the cancel culture mob started attacking him, which eventually lead to his suicide:

Zoe Quinn immediately deleted her twitter account after it was announced he committed suicide. Now we can argue whether her allegations were true or not, but regardless, isn't it sad how all one, especially a woman, has to do is make comments and without any actual investigations get a huge hate mob harassing and doxxing someone and the like? I think the fact she immediately deleted her twitter speaks volumes; either what she said didn't happen, or she's greatly exaggerating.

But regardless, I feel anyone who intentionally starts something knowing full well just how bad it will be that ends in someone's death should be culpable. This lying whining ***** knew she could just make one tweet and everyone that follows her would be on her side and harass him, now he commits suicide, she deletes her twitter and acts as if nothing happens. Hope the ***** is happy.
Problem is what legal standards do we utilize to potentially charge Person A for Person B's suicide?

Old 09-01-2019, 02:15 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Problem is what legal standards do we utilize to potentially charge Person A for Person B's suicide?
Making someone else responsible for someones suicide is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

If someone doesn't like what's being said about them online they can go OFFline. It's not like physical bullying that you can't get away from. People today are too thin - skinned and wussyfied! If you don't like something don't look at it. Problem solved.

Also, we do have a First Amendment in this country.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:24 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
It’s a civil matter.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:28 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
I'm leaning toward the belief that someone who levels a felony criminal accusation over social media should have to immediately report to the authorities and submit a police report, and sign an affidavit which states that everything they claim is true. Afterwards the tweet or post should be deleted. The accusation becomes a criminal investigation.
Criminal allegations like these need to be submitted to the authorities, instead of fed to the rabid dogs in public and on social media.

"Cancel culture," "swatting," "trial by public" etc. must not continue. It is in no way compatible with a developed and civil society. Anyone can say anything, and it can absolutely ruin the accused. Or enough false accusations (hopefully) backfire, but results in the public being desensitized once an honest victim needs to speak out and be heard. (crying wolf effect)

If somebody makes an accusation, you need thousands of dollars to mount a defense and to weather other related hardships. Coming up with about $200k for legal expenses is a luxury for people of wealth who can swat away trivial allegations-- whether they're true or not.
I can randomly go on Twitter and make an effective "topical" accusation against some 9-to-5er who makes anything under $100k/year. If "successful," that middle- or lower-class person would be destroyed. No wonder this guy ended his life.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
His sister admitted he had problems and other such accusations against him. He had a history of volatile behavior. Sounds like he couldn't handle himself and harassed the wrong person. Quinn was not going to be someone who would tolerate that quietly, he maybe should have considered that.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:11 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post

Disclaimer: I can't stand Zoe Quinn, so my reply is probably biased right from the start.

Having said that, do you all remember the girl who texted her friend who was in a car telling her he was going to commit suicide, and she urged him to do it?

She was found guilty. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/u...onrad-roy.html

So - I agree that those who do this sort of thing should be held accountable. As for Zoe Quinn, I'd love to see her fall from that pedestal she's placed herself on - GamerGate hag.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
No.

The individual took their own life. Free will exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies