Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did you read that entire article? I'm betting not.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Canada has universal healthcare. It spends 33% less as a percentage of GDP than the USA and gets better results... Canadians live longer.
My Canadian friends think we are abject fools for not having UHC in the United States.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Canada has universal healthcare. It spends 33% less as a percentage of GDP than the USA and gets better results... Canadians live longer.
WRONG!!!!

The US has the 5th highest BMI rate wgile Canada is 39.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...BMI%29#country

Being overweight is the biggest factor (for people with defects) for overall health, life expectancy and cost of healthcare.

Nice try though.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:47 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Funny how everyone complains about the small increase they would need to pay when the same people want the loonies on the left to provide FREE (ha ha) heatlhcare and college, which would pretty much suck out 80% of their pay check. And China isn’t the only game in town. Everything they make is crap anyway.
Americans pay the highest premiums in the world for healthcare with the same results of other countries. It's really a HUGE tax when you think about it.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You will never completely eliminate the need for fossil fuels in manufacturing. I am well aware of that, having spent forty years in the steel business. That was the example I used, because I have visited both open-hearth operations and electric ones.

We have the ability to make plastics out of things other than oil, hemp for example, which is fast growing and completely renewable. The heavy metals and chemicals are not fossil fuels, which was the subject of the comment that started this.
But you'll gladly take the convenience of you "bad for the earth" cell phone inbthe meantime.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Please name just one time in American history that the Democratic Party (since it became the Dem. Party in early 20th century) that a Democratic President wanted to raise taxes on the middle class, working class, and poor 15% to 25%.

Please cite the link to your authority for that.

Brace yourself...there's a Trump Recession on the way. Or are you like Trump in that you like recessions, because you can buy properties for cheap from distressed owners?
I would love to know how much distressesd real estate Trump and his cronies scooped up in Puerto Rico for pennies on the dollar after Hurricane Maria. I'm betting that withholding disaster funds had as much to to with robber barons as it did with non-white people.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Did you read that entire article? I'm betting not.
Yes, I did. Did you?

Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
It's effectively a sales tax, so the Repubs won't be too unhappy about that.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Funny how everyone complains about the small increase they would need to pay when the same people want the loonies on the left to provide FREE (ha ha) heatlhcare and college, which would pretty much suck out 80% of their pay check. And China isn’t the only game in town. Everything they make is crap anyway.
Where did you make up that 80% of paycheck number?

It is okay to be concerned about govt. spending, it's not okay to make up numbers to support your argument.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:53 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Again, the topic here is tariffs, not immigration.

So, no answer.....

Quote:
If you are not self-employed, chances are your paycheck is docked for healthcare. Those are very real dollars that come from company profits. You also more than likely have a deductible that has to be met before it is "free". Your employer pays more on top of that.

The insurance company gets a cut, and a pretty substantial one. You are paying them to "give" you the right to healthcare.

The doctors and hospitals bill whatever they please, because there are very few examples of posted rates for services. The insurance companies pay the bills and tack the deficit onto the next insurance bill. As long as you aren't personally billed for the services, you probably don't give it a second thought. You got your healthcare "free".

All along the way, you have been nickeled and dimed for something that is supposed to be a "benefit", to the delight and profit of all the middlemen involved. If all of the costs were tallied, you might find out that UHC would mean eliminating the employer contribution, so your check could be larger. It would eliminate the weekly drag, because healthcare would be available on demand. It would mean the insurance companies could go back to selling liability anf fire insurance to make a living, and <<you>> wouldn't be subsidizing them. It would mean that healthcare would return to its former state as a not-for-profit venture, as it was before Richard Nixon threw the monkey wrench into the works in 1973 and made it possible for hospitals to profit.

You may even find out that after the dust settles, everyone including you would have healthcare available, and you wouldn't have to consider it is you wanted to change jobs, or if you job didn't pay enough to afford it, and you would have MORE money left in your account at the end of the month.

Nothing is "free". We are already paying enough to provide healthcare to everyone in the country. All UHC would do is redistribute the wealth in an equitable way for the benefit of all. And that's not a bad thing.

I'll keep my 70% of taxes....

And again, what about all these people just walking over the borders? You say immigration is not the subject, but it will be when they pay nothing and still get services.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies