Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,274 times

Advertisements

Billionaires and they are doing it to most of us.. While many on this forum stick up for their rules and how they make laws to protect themselves. Unless all these posters on here are billionaires (I highly doubt it)

Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is that a yes to my questions? What do you see as the "new social norms"? What are the "old social norms"? Is there something specific you are referring to such as same-sex marriage? I personally don't see that happening but I'm the type of person that speaks my truth no matter the social fallout. If someone makes a good point or a reasonable request I'll change my mind and stop saying certain things. For example, I have a friend that doesn't use cuss words so I refrain while in her presence. I have another friend that every other word is the F word so I let it fly around her. For the record, I like cuss words.
Sterility is a new social norm. People crawl in their paranoid shell and stay there. There is more to diversity than skin color and sex preferences. Genuine diversity is under attack, it is impossible to have society of paranoids in their shells. Social life simplifies, become more superficial or it just disintegrates.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have no idea what an "identarian narrative" means.

Sure I do. Do you not?
I don't, especially straight minority men

Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Sterility is a new social norm. People crawl in their paranoid shell and stay there. There is more to diversity than skin color and sex preferences. Genuine diversity is under attack, it is impossible to have society of paranoids in their shells. Social life simplifies, become more superficial or it just disintegrates.
Ok. I think I get you now. As far as the bolded...we're not. Look at us discussing ideas and all.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I don't, especially straight minority men

Well, now you're getting into overlapping areas of privilege. Are straight minority men less privileged than straight minority women? Can you give some examples?

Harry understands the intersectional approach to male privilege. But he's still a little fuzzy on male privilege itself. As we've already noted, privilege is often invisible to those receiving it, so Harry still isn't sure exactly what male privilege looks like. What are some examples?

In modern American society, there are many different ways that men receive benefits not given to women. For one thing, men are assumed to be the default and women assumed to be the other. For example, words like businessman or chairman are often used even though women may hold those jobs, too. Even the use of the word ''man'' to mean ''humankind'' is problematic; it's not common for people to use the word ''woman'' to mean ''humankind!''

Another example of societal privilege includes attitudes towards sexual promiscuity. Often, promiscuous men are seen as masculine, strong, and virile, while promiscuous women are looked down upon and disrespected.

Education, too, can be different for girls and boys. Studies show that teachers (even female teachers) tend to call on male students more often than female students. In addition, studies show that the way teachers are received can be dependent on their gender. For example, students were more likely to describe male professors as experts and female professors as caring and supportive, suggesting that the male professors are smarter and more knowledgeable. At least one study found that this was true even if the female professors were more highly educated than their male counterparts!...

https://study.com/academy/lesson/wha...-examples.html

This list is based on Julian Real's blog post titled, "Unpacking The Male Privilege Jockstrap". He listed 100 privileges that men have in The 100 Male Privileges Checklist, stating:
Barry Deutsch and company wrote items 1 through 42, with the exception of what I have inserted into those, with brackets. I wrote the rest.
  1. My odds of being hired for a job, when competing against female applicants, are probably skewed in my favour. The more prestigious the job, the larger the odds are skewed. [However, men who appear to come from poverty or the working class are much more likely to be turned away from a prestigious job than a middle class or wealthier-appearing man.]
  2. I can be confident that my co-workers won't think I got my job because of my sex - even though that might be true. [This is far more true for white men than for many men of color.]
  3. If I am never promoted, it's not because of my sex. [But may well be due to my race or ethnicity, if I'm not white.]
  4. If I fail in my job or career, I can feel sure this won't be seen as a black mark against my entire sex's capabilities. ["Black mark" is part of racist speech. Black Monday, black mark, black sheep of the family: all generate negative associations with blackness and Blackness. See Dreaming The Dark, by Starhawk, for more on this.]
  5. The odds of my encountering sexual harassment on the job are so low as to be negligible. [This is much more likely to be the case for men perceived to be heterosexual.]
  6. If I do the same task as a woman, and if the measurement is at all subjective, chances are people will think I did a better job.
  7. If I'm a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are so low as to be negligible. [This is really only true of non-incarcated heterosexual men, not non-incarcerated gay men. Date and spousal rape among gay men is not negligable. And anti-gay rape, as a form of *****-bashing by heterosexual men, happens more than negligably. The salient point about rape is that when it happens to women by men it is part of a larger system of gender-based (male supremacist) terrorism and subordination, particularly when it occurs within one ethnic group. It is part of gynocide. And it is also a vicious part of a larger white Western male supremacist practice of gynocidal/genocidal atrocity against women of color globally, including within the U.S. Put simply, heterosexual men are not likely to experience rape and when they do it's anecdotal, not systematised and institutioalised as natural and normal.]
  8. I am not taught to fear walking alone after dark in average public spaces. [White supremacist men do teach their children to fear people of color, day and night. And men of color are at risk of violence when in all-white areas at night; often the perpetrators are police officers, whose job it is to maintain the white male supremacist status quo.]
  9. If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question. [This is primarily true of heterosexual men: childless men who are misperceived as gay are having their masculinity called into question on many fronts, including when we do not have children.]
  10. If I have children but do not provide primary care for them, my masculinity will not be called into question....
https://projecthumanities.asu.edu/co...lege-checklist

Old 09-03-2019, 09:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Ok. I think I get you now. As far as the bolded...we're not. Look at us discussing ideas and all.
I would never do it under my real name, tbh.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:59 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I would never do it under my real name, tbh.
That's alright. It's the argument that will stand or fall. It shouldn't matter who makes it.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:05 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well, now you're getting into overlapping areas of privilege. Are straight minority men less privileged than straight minority women? Can you give some examples?

Harry understands the intersectional approach to male privilege. But he's still a little fuzzy on male privilege itself. As we've already noted, privilege is often invisible to those receiving it, so Harry still isn't sure exactly what male privilege looks like. What are some examples?

In modern American society, there are many different ways that men receive benefits not given to women. For one thing, men are assumed to be the default and women assumed to be the other. For example, words like businessman or chairman are often used even though women may hold those jobs, too. Even the use of the word ''man'' to mean ''humankind'' is problematic; it's not common for people to use the word ''woman'' to mean ''humankind!''

Another example of societal privilege includes attitudes towards sexual promiscuity. Often, promiscuous men are seen as masculine, strong, and virile, while promiscuous women are looked down upon and disrespected.

Education, too, can be different for girls and boys. Studies show that teachers (even female teachers) tend to call on male students more often than female students. In addition, studies show that the way teachers are received can be dependent on their gender. For example, students were more likely to describe male professors as experts and female professors as caring and supportive, suggesting that the male professors are smarter and more knowledgeable. At least one study found that this was true even if the female professors were more highly educated than their male counterparts!...

https://study.com/academy/lesson/wha...-examples.html

This list is based on Julian Real's blog post titled, "Unpacking The Male Privilege Jockstrap". He listed 100 privileges that men have in The 100 Male Privileges Checklist, stating:
Barry Deutsch and company wrote items 1 through 42, with the exception of what I have inserted into those, with brackets. I wrote the rest.
  1. My odds of being hired for a job, when competing against female applicants, are probably skewed in my favour. The more prestigious the job, the larger the odds are skewed. [However, men who appear to come from poverty or the working class are much more likely to be turned away from a prestigious job than a middle class or wealthier-appearing man.]
  2. I can be confident that my co-workers won't think I got my job because of my sex - even though that might be true. [This is far more true for white men than for many men of color.]
  3. If I am never promoted, it's not because of my sex. [But may well be due to my race or ethnicity, if I'm not white.]
  4. If I fail in my job or career, I can feel sure this won't be seen as a black mark against my entire sex's capabilities. ["Black mark" is part of racist speech. Black Monday, black mark, black sheep of the family: all generate negative associations with blackness and Blackness. See Dreaming The Dark, by Starhawk, for more on this.]
  5. The odds of my encountering sexual harassment on the job are so low as to be negligible. [This is much more likely to be the case for men perceived to be heterosexual.]
  6. If I do the same task as a woman, and if the measurement is at all subjective, chances are people will think I did a better job.
  7. If I'm a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are so low as to be negligible. [This is really only true of non-incarcated heterosexual men, not non-incarcerated gay men. Date and spousal rape among gay men is not negligable. And anti-gay rape, as a form of *****-bashing by heterosexual men, happens more than negligably. The salient point about rape is that when it happens to women by men it is part of a larger system of gender-based (male supremacist) terrorism and subordination, particularly when it occurs within one ethnic group. It is part of gynocide. And it is also a vicious part of a larger white Western male supremacist practice of gynocidal/genocidal atrocity against women of color globally, including within the U.S. Put simply, heterosexual men are not likely to experience rape and when they do it's anecdotal, not systematised and institutioalised as natural and normal.]
  8. I am not taught to fear walking alone after dark in average public spaces. [White supremacist men do teach their children to fear people of color, day and night. And men of color are at risk of violence when in all-white areas at night; often the perpetrators are police officers, whose job it is to maintain the white male supremacist status quo.]
  9. If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question. [This is primarily true of heterosexual men: childless men who are misperceived as gay are having their masculinity called into question on many fronts, including when we do not have children.]
  10. If I have children but do not provide primary care for them, my masculinity will not be called into question....
https://projecthumanities.asu.edu/co...lege-checklist
copy and paste?

Fine here's my article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...the-black-male

Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
copy and paste?

Uh, of course I did. How do you usually reference/introduce other material on a discussion forum?

Quote:

OK? What's your point? Black men commit more crime than black women? That's not an example of not having male privilege. Same goes for the college stuff - that education is more valued/accepted amongst black women when compared to black men is also not an example of a lack of privilege. It is certainly a commentary on societal pressures, however.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Will wonders never cease? Finally, we agree on something!

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. Death is the worst sort of "oppression" ever. My current dog came from the local Humane Society, and he is the finest hound ever. In fact, I named him "Alexander" which is short for "Alexander the Great Dog."

I hope you find another wonderful canine to oppress you the way Alexander does me.
I drove up to the DFW metroplex from the Houston metro on Sunday to attend a baseball game, as the stadium the Rangers play in is closing at the end of September (12 games left now). They move into their new stadium on the other side of the street in 2020. After the game, it was still very hot (95). That, and I didn't want to 'fight' the low angle of the sun while driving back, so I decided to hang out at a nearby (The Park at Arlington mall) Barnes and Noble for a while. I drove there and parked my car. I've seen many different dog bumper stickers in my life, but as I was walking towards the bookstore, I saw one I hadn't seen before ....white background, black printing that read "My Child Has Four Paws", with four paw prints on there as well. I suppose the person could have been a cat only owner, but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies