Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 05:25 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure why you're so confident of that. It's those kind of assumptions and bravado that got us Trump in the first place. I think you underestimate how reviled CA and especially Bay Area politicians are in other parts of the country.
Bravado? His genius tariff strategy has hurt the very voters he counted on in those regions in the farming and manufacturing sectors. He's also done NOTHING to help COVID while those cases have spiraled out of control. He's fueled racial tension and disenfranchised just about every racial, ethnic and religious group with his alt-right views. All but his staunch supporters have been disgusted by his behavior.

Of course this can change between now and November if COVID miraculously goes away completely, he doesn't open his mouth and suddenly acts more inclusive. The chances of any of these things happening (based on his track record) are next to zero.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
The system rewards those that win swing states, which he did. He played the system perfectly unfortunately.
No he didn’t. A couple of his campaign managers (i.e. Parscal) played it for him. He’s dumb as a box of rocks and was totally surprised he won. Seemed he was actually trying to lose but wanted as many followers as possible: I remain convinced he ran to develop an audience for a media venture catering to “victims of the system” mentality.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Bravado? His genius tariff strategy has hurt the very voters he counted on in those regions in the farming and manufacturing sectors. He's also done NOTHING to help COVID while those cases have spiraled out of control. He's fueled racial tension and disenfranchised just about every racial, ethnic and religious group with his alt-right views. All but his staunch supporters have been disgusted by his behavior.

Of course this can change between now and November if COVID miraculously goes away completely, he doesn't open his mouth and suddenly acts more inclusive. The chances of any of these things happening (based on his track record) are next to zero.
Yes I think you're being way too bold with your statements/assumptions. It's not some guaranteed landslide for Biden at all and its that very kind of thinking that caused Clinton to lose.

And pre-covid Trump actually did pretty well with manufacturing jobs from what I read so not sure what you're referring to. A lot of his supporters/voters, not just the diehards, don't seem to care enough about all that other stuff or agree its as bad as you make it sound.

You just seem to be thinking about this from your own personal point of view and seem kind of oblivious to the mentality on other parts of the country.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No he didn’t. A couple of his campaign managers (i.e. Parscal) played it for him. He’s dumb as a box of rocks and was totally surprised he won. Seemed he was actually trying to lose but wanted as many followers as possible: I remain convinced he ran to develop an audience for a media venture catering to “victims of the system” mentality.
Well he was competent enough to assemble the right team no?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:47 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Quote:
The system rewards those that win swing states, which he did. He played the system perfectly unfortunately.

I think it is more of a case in which his opponent failed to recognize she needed to not take those states for granted. Out of approx 120 million votes cast nationwide in the 2016 election, if just approx 78-79K votes had gone the way in PA, MI & WI......Trump would have lost

Old 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I think it is more of a case in which his opponent failed to recognize she needed to not take those states for granted. Out of approx 120 million votes cast nationwide in the 2016 election, if just approx 78-79K votes had gone the way in PA, MI & WI......Trump would have lost
That, and, let's not forget that the winner's Party now routinely employs vote repression tactics. Their candidate never would have won, otherwise. The fact that they keep doing this pretty much demonstrates, that they fear they're on the losing side.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
It's both. Trump didn't ignore those states like she did.

Quote:
Well he was competent enough to assemble the right team no?
No. He didn’t even assemble his team. Certain people - like Steve Bannon and ilk - saw Trump’s bizarre charismatic attraction dynamic with his base demographic and they used him as their puppet ... except as it turned out (no surprise to me) the puppet has a life of his own that can’t be controlled.

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Yes I think you're being way too bold with your statements/assumptions. It's not some guaranteed landslide for Biden at all and its that very kind of thinking that caused Clinton to lose.

And pre-covid Trump actually did pretty well with manufacturing jobs from what I read so not sure what you're referring to. A lot of his supporters/voters, not just the diehards, don't seem to care enough about all that other stuff or agree its as bad as you make it sound.

You just seem to be thinking about this from your own personal point of view and seem kind of oblivious to the mentality on other parts of the country.
Who said landslide? I don't think the swing states will be a blowout for Biden. I still think they'll be fairly close. But, all they have to do is move a few points in Biden's direction to secure a victory nationally for him.

The fact that we're talking about some reliable red states (e.g., Arizona, Texas, Georgia) being in play for Biden does not bode well for Trump. I'm not guaranteeing those will go Biden, but they probably wouldn't be in play at all if the voters had enough confidence in him.

Yes, staunch Trump supporters don't care about his f-k ups. You and I agree on that. But, his base alone won't carry him in 2020. Many of the swing state voters do care and that's a major risk for him.

Who cares how the economy was doing pre-COVID? That was then, this is now. He seriously botched both battling the disease and the economy. By not taking drastic actions early on, he's causing more misery from spread and the need to keep businesses closed. If you look at how Europe managed this, they were more aggressive short-term and are now able to function more or less normally. We can't and it looks like its getting worse as we head into the fall.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It's both. Trump didn't ignore those states like she did.
Trump was clueless. Credit goes to fate and the efforts of his backers. He’s a dolt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies