Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm replying to your questions before reading this thread, so here goes:

1. What CA county are you registered to vote in?

Santa Clara

2. What Political Party do you belong to?

Democrat

3. Please rank the following Democratic Candidates in order of prefence, 1 being your favorite, 4 being your least favorite: Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren

Without considering who I think might beat Trump rather than who I really would love to be my next president, these are my preferred candidates and why:

Kamala Harris is my first choice. I want a president who can look smarter and more street wise than Putin. I imagine each candidate at a Helsinki summit with Putin. Will that candidate look like a world leader who could kick Putin's rear in a debate, etc.?

In my opinion Kamala wins hands down over Bernie, Joe and Elizabeth. I also believe she would work to get changes made that would actually benefit me. She would also look strong on the world stage no matter who she was meeting with. I think she's smart enough to find good, smart, capable people to "man" the different departments, etc., too. She also would be a firm negotiator and she wouldn't embarrass us on the world stage.

Next, I'd love Elizabeth Warren based on her policies and her genuine desire and ability to identify problems and come up with solutions. She is amazing at doing that and I believe she's sincere and a good person. However, I don't see her looking other than a kind of hysterical college professor type who owns 5 cats - when picturing her at Helsinki. She just tends to come across as a little hysterical and like she's always fighting an uphill battle, whereas Kamala comes across as strong and in control.

Next would be Joe Biden only because he has a good chance of capturing the moderate Republicans and Independents who are on the fence. But, I think he has a dementia problem. He reminds me of Reagan when he was losing it and Nancy was feeding him lines when he didn't know what to say, etc. I saw Biden doing that with his wife shortly after he announced he was running. I don't think he would embarrass us, and he'd probably, like Reagan, appoint really good, capable people to run the government. But, he doesn't inspire me. I think he'd just be another place-holder, as opposed to a president anyone would remember as being significant.

Last is Bernie because I find him to come across as angry and sullen. I find his manner and voice to be grating. Even tough Kamala has a genuine sense of humor. I find zero humor in Bernie. I can't relate to him at all. I just don't want 4 or 8 years of listening to his grating, angry, whiney voice. I do think that many of his ideas for policy changes will eventually come to fruition and I hope he gets credit. But, I don't want him to be president. I think he might embarrass us on the world stage not because he's uninformed or uneducated, but because I can see him as being inflexible and incapable of being charming when necessary. In short, I just don't like his personality.

4. What are the 3 most important issues to you?

1. Healthcare. I am a moderate Democrat, for the record. I have Medi-Cal, which is California's version of Medicaid. It absolutely sucks eggs. It's fine for preventative care, but God help you if you get hurt, like I did about 6 months ago when I fell and broke a couple bones and needed physical therapy, etc. It's God awful. I've had to fight for everything. They deny, defer, redirect, rinse repeat. You have to file grievances and appeals just to get simple treatment that is obvious. So, I'm very much against any government-only healthplan. I can't wait until I qualify for Medicare, when I'll have more options, including the option to pay for a better plan. If I hadn't been hurt recently and learned how awful a pure government plan is, I'd be all for that for everyone. But, I really think people should have the option to get better care, if they can. And I also deal with the government for other benefits and the world knows that government run organizations are terrible to deal with. So, I am for healthcare where people do also have the option to pay for better insurance. No, that's not fair for poor people. But, I think it's scary to eliminate decent care facilities. I think it would reduce decent healthcare to nearly non-existent.

2. Women's Issues, especially the right to choose. I can't believe we're still fighting for the right to make our own decisions regarding our own bodies. But, we still seem to be sliding backwards on this issue. It's scary to me.

3. Housing/Homeless. For me, I want to be sure HUD remains funded for Section 8. That would affect me personally, but if we lose HUD subsidized housing, we'll have a lot of seniors become homeless. We've just got to address the homeless problem in America, too. It's just not right. We need to figure out why we have this problem and address it.

There are so many more issues, but that's what's on my mind tonight. Good thread.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:18 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

3. Please rank the following Democratic Candidates in order of prefence, 1 being your favorite, 4 being your least favorite: Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren

1. Los Angeles

2. Democrat

3. Biden, Buttigieg

4. Health care, Climate Change, having an ethical person in the Executive Office

Old 09-13-2019, 04:54 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
It sure was painful watching the "debate" last night. I just wish there were a few actual moderates from which to choose.

The toughest issue is The Economy. None of the candidates have yet to articulate a coherent integrated plan. To be fair, it is a tough job to do so.

Take Joe Biden for instance. He has to convince voters both that the economy was booming less than three years ago when he and Barack Obama were in charge (hint: it wasn't), and that it’s now fallen into such a mess that we need Mr. Biden to come fix it (hint: the economy is in much better shape now than it has been in anyone's memory - not that it couldn't get better, of course.)

Whereas Ronald Reagan beat Jimmy Carter in large part by asking voters to consider if they were better off than they were four years ago, Biden and the all the other candidates running for the democratic nomination would rather voters think about anything but the economy.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 09-13-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It sure was painful watching the "debate" last night. I just wish there were a few actual moderates from which to choose.
Fewer people watched last night, than the last debate.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:05 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Um yeah:
Quote:
Thursday night's debate featuring ten presidential candidates averaged 14 million viewers across ABC and Univision. The debate ratings were head and shoulders above everything else on TV Thursday night.

The core of the debate started around 8:15 p.m. ET, right after the candidates delivered opening statements. About 12.9 million viewers were tuned in on ABC and another 1.1 million on Univision, which presented the debate in Spanish.

The Nielsen ratings only account for viewership at home via traditional TV distribution. Out of home and streaming viewership is measured separately.

ABC live-streamed the event on a variety of platforms, including YouTube and Twitter.

With 14 million people watching on TV, the debate ranked behind the record-setting NBC, MSNBC and Telemundo debate in June, but ahead of most other Democratic primary debates in TV history.

For comparison's sake, the third Democratic debate of the 2016 cycle, which also took place on ABC, averaged 8 million total viewers.
Sad huh. Just one of the most watched Democratic debates ever.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Propaganda?
Yeah, how people in UK are not materialistic, have you met anyone from London. The bunch I’ve met are damn materialistic. So yeah, that’s propaganda.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nobody cares, except my husband said Sanders looked like a homeless person. He fits right in California.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um yeah:

Sad huh. Just one of the most watched Democratic debates ever.
I forgot to clarify. CNN was down.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Please respond to the following questions:

San Francisco
Democratic
1. Biden
2. Warren
3. Harris
4. Sanders

1. Health care
2. Homelessness
3. Infrastructure

Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
San Mateo

Independent

Warren, Sanders, Harris, Biden in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies