Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
A couple of your arguments are flawed.

Open borders has hurt many Americans. It has taken construction jobs from Americans and lowered wages. Landscaping has been the same thing. I know of one guy that lost his landscaping business because of illegal immigration. The competition undercut him at every turn because they employed illegal aliens. One poster here said he lost his business. Not to mention identity theft. And I know the Democratic talking point on this is “no Americans will do the job” and “lettuce will be $5 a head” etc. I don’t buy it. There are farm worker programs and temporary visa programs for agriculture. As far as other jobs, there are Americans willing to do the jobs if they had the chance. And tax money from citizens should not go to pay healthcare for illegal aliens. Schools are over crowded, etc. Both parties are responsible and there needs to be e-verify and very stiff fines for employers.

Defunding police. “It’s just reallocating resources”. I don’t believe this either. Minneapolis is abolishing their police. Austin just “defunded” $150 million and the APD had to cancel academy classes. That’s less cops on the street and less safety for the average person. Social workers won’t cut it. The first time a social worker is killed going to a domestic call will wake everyone up. Plus the “defunding” in many cases I’ve read means transferring the money for homeless shelters and other social programs. That’s taking away resources from the police.

For the life of me, the hostility towards police makes no sense. Are there bad cops? Sure. Is reform needed? Yes. But if a black person murders someone and then a group of people say “all black people must be murderers”, there would be hell to pay. But it’s ok to broad brush police like that.

The groups calling for defunding want more. The statement below in quotes is from the BLM website under a section about defunding police. It sure doesn’t look like “reallocation”. It looks like they want no police. Sorry, if a candidate supports defunding, I’m not voting for them.

“We know that police don’t keep us safe — and as long as we continue to pump money into our corrupt criminal justice system at the expense of housing, health, and education investments — we will never be truly safe.“

Did the "competition" ended up being heavily fined or had to spend some times behind bars for a repeat violation? As long as business keep hiring those who do not follow the rules to come in to this country and don't have permission to work here, they are going to keep coming......unless the promised "wall" is all that is needed....

Old 08-21-2020, 08:04 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Did the "competition" ended up being heavily fined or had to spend some times behind bars for a repeat violation? As long as business keep hiring those who do not follow the rules to come in to this country and don't have permission to work here, they are going to keep coming......unless the promised "wall" is all that is needed....
I completely agree. Illegal immigration isn’t a Democrat failure, it’s also a Republican failure. That why the employers should be heavily fined. Like potentially putting you out of business fined and/or jail. You wouldn’t need a wall.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:21 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
I completely agree. Illegal immigration isn’t a Democrat failure, it’s also a Republican failure. That why the employers should be heavily fined. Like potentially putting you out of business fined and/or jail. You wouldn’t need a wall.

I never thought much of the promised "wall"

Old 08-22-2020, 06:38 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
You've got to admit that Biden cares about people, in a way that many politicians don't.

As a widower and first-year senator in 1973, the story goes, Biden began commuting daily on Amtrak between Washington and Delaware, so he could spend bedtime and breakfast with his newly motherless sons. During the 30-plus years he took the train, Biden got to know his fellow passengers and especially the Amtrak crew, buying rounds of coffee and treating them as “important people.”

“He was very interested in my life, my children, as time went on, my grandchildren,” Gregg Weaver, a retired conductor, said on the video.

“I was in a barber shop in New York City,” Weaver said, “and the phone rings. And sure enough it was Vice President Biden, asking me how I’m doing. He wanted to know the whole story.”

He wanted to know the whole story. Suddenly I saw Biden — and any good officeholder in a working democracy — as, above all, a keeper of other peoples’ stories. Pretty square-one stuff, but, after so many years under the leadership of an undemocratic president, we’re at a square-one moment.

On Tuesday, another video chronicled Biden’s across-the-aisle friendship with the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). It too dated to the 1970s, and continued until McCain’s death two years ago. “With Joe Biden, his colleagues knew that your points were equally valid to him,” said Ronald Klain, Biden’s onetime chief of staff.

Maybe it shouldn’t be exciting to progressives in 2020 to see two old centrist white dudes joking and calling each other son of a gun. But it’s been a long time since we’ve seen politicians in a relationship that doesn’t consist of grinding each other to a pulp so that money can be printed on whatever’s left behind.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...-michael-cohen

Old 08-22-2020, 08:44 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happily retired View Post
Biden cares for people? what the hell does that mean - i would rather have a president who will fight the Chinese over trade issues and put america first - i dont need a president to care for me i need one who wont take my money like bidden who will stand up for legal citizens, who supports our military and does not give apologies for protection the unborn
Trump put America first? If he would've done that, he would've taken tough measures early on to control the COVID spread. He would've shut down the country for 6 weeks like what happened in Europe to get the virus under control, so we could safely re-open schools and businesses.

Rather, he did nothing and punted to the states, which just took instructions from him. COVID has never gotten under control and we risk a deepening calamity as we head into the fall. Only, this time we'll be forced to shut down again. Trump's early inactions are leading to a much worse health and economic outcome.

What else can I talk about? How about lack of gun control, which causes more violence throughout the country. How about racist remarks or at the very least not condemning others who make comments or commit atrocities? How about not wanting to extend unemployment benefits to help those tens of millions out of work? How about trying to cut Obamacare when we're in the middle of a pandemic and people need the health insurance the most?

If Trump really cared about all Americans (not just his extremist base), we'd see much different words and actions.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Trump put America first? If he would've done that, he would've taken tough measures early on to control the COVID spread. He would've shut down the country for 6 weeks like what happened in Europe to get the virus under control, so we could safely re-open schools and businesses.

Rather, he did nothing and punted to the states, which just took instructions from him. COVID has never gotten under control and we risk a deepening calamity as we head into the fall. Only, this time we'll be forced to shut down again. Trump's early inactions are leading to a much worse health and economic outcome.

What else can I talk about? How about lack of gun control, which causes more violence throughout the country. How about racist remarks or at the very least not condemning others who make comments or commit atrocities? How about not wanting to extend unemployment benefits to help those tens of millions out of work? How about trying to cut Obamacare when we're in the middle of a pandemic and people need the health insurance the most?

If Trump really cared about all Americans (not just his extremist base), we'd see much different words and actions.
The states wouldn’t have listened to Trump no matter what he did. Remember when it all started, he said he’d decide when things would shut down. The governors pushed back and said they had the authority over their states. If Trump did the opposite and called for an early shut down, the states would have said the same thing. He doesn’t have authority to over rule governors and couldn’t “punt to the states”.

That being said, at one point it seemed Trump just threw up his hands and walked away from the virus. There could have been some kind of cooperation in working with the governors, but that didn’t happen.

Just my 2 cents, but I don’t think they’ll shut down again. Too much lost revenue for the states.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
The states wouldn’t have listened to Trump no matter what he did. Remember when it all started, he said he’d decide when things would shut down. The governors pushed back and said they had the authority over their states. If Trump did the opposite and called for an early shut down, the states would have said the same thing. He doesn’t have authority to over rule governors and couldn’t “punt to the states”.

That being said, at one point it seemed Trump just threw up his hands and walked away from the virus. There could have been some kind of cooperation in working with the governors, but that didn’t happen.

Just my 2 cents, but I don’t think they’ll shut down again. Too much lost revenue for the states.
Maybe if Trump would've used the National Guard to help control COVID as opposed to making a political stunt against protesters, we'd have a much different outcome. I disagree that he said he'd shut things down. He was slow to react to banning travel from China and then Europe. He never tried to do a national shutdown. Rather, he punted to the states.

Regarding lost revenue, this is worse for the states in not shutting down and extending COVID misery vs taking tough and decisive actions for a short period of time.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Maybe if Trump would've used the National Guard to help control COVID as opposed to making a political stunt against protesters, we'd have a much different outcome. I disagree that he said he'd shut things down. He was slow to react to banning travel from China and then Europe. He never tried to do a national shutdown. Rather, he punted to the states.

Regarding lost revenue, this is worse for the states in not shutting down and extending COVID misery vs taking tough and decisive actions for a short period of time.
You keep saying Trump punted to the states. Do you think he has authority over the states above the governors? That’s wrong.

I meant that when this all started, the governors were talking about shutting things down and Trump said he had the authority to say when things would be shut. My impression was that he wanted things kept open. They pushed back and he backed off.

He was criticized when he stopped flights from China and now he’s being criticized for not doing it soon enough. He certainly has the burden of this whole fiasco, Pelosi was telling people to go out and have fun in San Francisco during lunar new. De Blasio in New York was doing the same. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Agree that is supposed to be free of politics. But we see and hear of “judicial activism” time after time. You would think SCOTUS would be free of that. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the case for quite some time. Maybe part of that’s the media’s fault for describing conservative or liberal judges forming the majority opinion.

When I look at two candidates that are just awful, I look at the SCOTUS potential, suppress my gag reflex and vote.
Anyone who votes for Trump because of his 'conservative Justice picks' really needs to think again. Trump relies on the Federalist society to pick judges for him, the Federalist Society has an anti-regulation, anti-union, pro-corporation and anti-environment agenda. The Kochs, Mercer's and Bradley's have funded the Federalist Society will millions in donations to make sure that their "select justices" will rule the right way- and while you might be worried about your 2A rights, they are far more concerned with making sure that Corporations aren't subject to rules whether those rules apply to the way they treat their employees or the way or the way they treat our environment.

Remember the Camp Fires in Paradise? PG&E was found to be civilly and criminally liable for those fires and they have been ordered to compensate victims, if this had been a red state with hand picked Federalist judges PG&E would still be having wine parties while California burns, and victims would be living in tents on their burnt out property.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You keep saying Trump punted to the states. Do you think he has authority over the states above the governors? That’s wrong.

I meant that when this all started, the governors were talking about shutting things down and Trump said he had the authority to say when things would be shut. My impression was that he wanted things kept open. They pushed back and he backed off.

He was criticized when he stopped flights from China and now he’s being criticized for not doing it soon enough. He certainly has the burden of this whole fiasco, Pelosi was telling people to go out and have fun in San Francisco during lunar new. De Blasio in New York was doing the same. There’s plenty of blame to go around.
I agree that many of the Republican governors are also complicit in what has occurred here. Examples such as Desantis refusing to have a statewide mask mandate or Kemp suing the city of Atlanta for requiring masks come to mind. I'd also agree that Deblasio and Cuomo were too slow to react in New York. However, I'd say once they realized the errors in their ways they pushed very hard to control the virus and they are in a much better place today. Even Newsom opened up California too early in my opinion, but pandering to political interests and has had to back track. Sure, plenty of blame to go around.

However, it all starts from the top. The president has ultimate accountability for the safety/well being of this country and needs to set the tone and follow through. I don't buy the argument that whatever he would've done wouldn't have changed the outcome. If there is a corporate scandal, the CEO is ultimately accountable, regardless of whether he/she had direct involvement or knowledge of the issues. The same is true in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies